MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• first timer to the marathon world and no real idea how quick i should ramp up the miles.

I have a HIM middle of august so not really aiming to run further than the half marathon distance.

how long is everyones long run at this stage?

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

40.5 miles for me last week, so not in your league guys but I think it is my highest mileage week so far and I am still able to walk so all good image. Rest day today but back out there tomorrow.

Graeme sometimes life gets in the way and at the end of the day the plans we follow shouldn't rule our lives (well not completely!). Good luck with your planned run this evening - I don't think that I could manage an 18 miler after work, thats some dedication.

Budjude - the general rule of building mileage is 10% increase per week, this is to reduce the risks of overuse injuries etc. Building up from your HIM in August you would probably need to have run a couple of 20 milers and an 18 miler by the 15th Sept - so that you can taper properly for the big one. However I am also pretty new to the world of full marathoning so I am sure someone with a bit more experience may come along shortly and be able to advise better then me. Good luck with whatever you decide though.

Edited to add for Budjude my LSR yesterday was just over 14 miles.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Budjude- welcome- nothing to add to lisa's top adviceimage

Recovery week for meimage 2 runs, but only 10.55m in total- followed by sports massage- ouchimageimage

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

I did the Longest Day parkrun yesterday - the hilly Yorkshire route. I managed 6 of the 7, but still clocked up 18.6 miles, in 3.1 mile clumps, with time on the drive between for the legs to seize up nicely. 

It actually felt harder than a marathon. A lot harder. 

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

18 ish for me at MP plus 50 secs per mile. Knackered. Makes me feel a bit better abour the shite I've eaten today.

• OMG!!!!

First run at anything above easy since the injury for me tonight. Only 4 miles with 2 at tempo pace (about 8:50 for me), my god how much fitness have I lost that was hell.

Lots of hard work needed between now and October!!!! 

• Started my training a few weeks ago and then was hit with a chesty cough so running ground to a halt!! Very frustrating, although no way near as bad as being injured. Starting training is always a mixture of excitment about the even coming and anxiety about the training to be done in between.... early mornings......

• Hi to you all. I'm thinking of doing this event. Have not got a clue where to stay. Want to set down sat and stay sat/sun. can someone recommend a good place either hotel or B&B near start/finish.

• steve,go on to the booking .com website,enter chester,racecourse,then take you pick theres plenty of places,good luckimage

• Thanks GRIF065 will do

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Another 40ish mile week completed image.

Including 15 very hot miles today - temp mid 20's, the last three were particularly tough, am hoping that this was due to running in the midday sun - you know what they say about about mad dogs and englishmen - should also include those training for marathons!

Nelly I am sure that your fitness will come back quickly, as long as you take it easy and prevent your injury resurfacing.

Doc Pete what training plan are you following?

• evening all ! ... well that was fun .. Giants Head Marathon done and dusted, and have to say that it was possibly the most brutal thing I have ever done ... the heat and the hills were incredible, but it really was a fantastic day.

Couple of days rest now, then time to sweet talk my legs back in to training for Chester.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

me started training last week   hopefully non stop  as in 2014 doing Huddersfield and Halifax marathons   these are both 1st time events

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Ouch, as a Bratfud lad, I'd say 'Fax and Udders marathons will be tough.

Good 19+ for me yesterday picking the pace up in the last 6. Stomach bug a few hours after I got back has wiped me out, probably for a few days.

• im doing the grim reaper ultra,on 2nd august,its my first,then on to chesterimage

• I know I'm late onthis thread but if I can join in!!!!!

this will be my 21st marathon but first Chester looked at reviews and all very positive.

training In full swing and I have the MK half coming up this Sunday. I always prefer the Aut marathons as I find training in spring/summer much more achievable and fun.

I would lv to break the magic 3hrs 30min barrier for the first time the closest I have come is 3hrs 33 min. No training for me today but going to do track session tomorrow night. Great to read all ur posts, looks like this thread might be as popular as Brighton marathon.

• 21 marathons steve,you are a expert,sub3.30 thats cracking running mate,ive got my first ultra in 4 weeks,followed by chester,im hoping for a sub 4,that will be 21mins better than blackpool which i done in aprilimage

• Tough track session for me tonight. I find these sessions so hard but know they do help my long runs. booked accommodation so now all I've got to do is continue training!!!

• glad you found accommodation mate,keep up the trainingimage

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

i am staying at the same travelodge as last year  at Broughtn near Sainsburys

• imageEaton hotel,looks ok staying up for 4 days image

• wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭

Welcome Stephen 21 marathons and going for 3:30 good going. This Chester run will be my 27th marathon, and I'd still like to break 4:15. However this time I'll be heloping "drive" the 4hr 45pace  bus . 

Live just had a check at http://www.clinics.runningroom.com/paceband.php

For pace bands and looks like my groups target pace is a smidgen slower than 10min 40 per mile pace should be good fun. I've done a couplgoof recovery runs since Shrewsbury about 10 days ago , including a nice hilly 7.5mile last night - Mold- Nercwys- Maeshafn to Mold. Decided against the festival that is the Deestriders off road race tonight - to go and enjoy some European Footy Airbus uk Broughton 1-1 v Ventspils of Latvia - good match. 

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Sunday I have a trail 15 miler, so am currently having a mini taper for it, after a full on speed and hill session on Tues with club followed by a 8 miler on Wed. Quads and glutes were screaming at me yesterday, butthankfully have eased off this morning.

Pilates this evening, and tomorrow morning will go out for a 3ish miles to loosen off before Sunday, just wish that the forecast wasn't so hot - 28-30c for Sunday image.

Wrexhamrob thanks for the link with the race bands. I am hoping that the pacer will drag me round the last few miles when I will undoubtedly be flagging.

• Easy 7miles for me last night, although I feel very tired. Long week at work and some tough training. Going to have a real chill out day tomorrow with family and then looking. Forward to MK half marathon on Sunday. Was going to go for a PB however looking at weather forcast I think I might run with fellow St. Albans striders at a gentle training run. however as soon as you put the number on your vest  the competitive side comes out on you!!!!

good luck to all those with runs this weekend, enjoy this amazing weather.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all - not been on here for a while. Nearly at end of week 5 in 18week P&D schedule. Supposed to be doing an 18mi run with 10@MP tomorrow...gulp. Got a bit of an ache in my right hip at moment - so will either run it early tomorrow morning if not hurting too bad, or delay till sunday and run it mid morning.

Going to be a hot weekend everyone....so make sure you have plenty of water in you if you're going to be doing much running/racing.

• Hi due to a groin strain picked  up in Shrewsbury half two weeks ago I am unable to run the southport half tomorrow, is anybody interested in taking my place ? Collection  just outside mold? text me on 07731330428 

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Hi folks! Haven't been on for a while, but all good here. Mileage building nicely- 400 last monthimage 8.14m done this morning, including leading the troops round at Parkrunimage

Stephen- Feeling tired at this stage is par for the course. I just tell myself that the tiredness is good- it's your body building enduranceimage Of course, rest and recovery are vital too....

• Went for my first run this morning since the horror that was GHM, and I think I've left my legs down in Dorset.

There was absolutely nothing there, even after a full weeks rest, they were dead, gone, expired ... they were ex-legs !

Just hoping now that a couple of short runs this week will flush them out and get them back again ready to start ramping up the mileage again from next weekend.