MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

3.5 mile recovery run this morning - glad I went out at 6am as it is already scorching out there image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all. 4 or 5 easy miles for me today, got 22mi tomorrow. Gulp. Hot again today, but cooler tomorrow in the NW (still warm, but fresher).

• morning ... 12 done early, but even so it was so hot out there as to make it rather difficult, so that will be GHM recovery over, back in to full on Chester bound training now.

Good luck to all those out running later, and remember your sun-block and plenty of water! (here speaks the voice of experience, after a rather severe burning at GHM !)

• wineJasmine went down far to easy yesterday however I did my run as planned. Very easy 11.4 miles at 10min mileace. Really warm for an 8am start. Very pleased that I managed to get out and do a semie long run in those conditions. Have had a great weeks training and feeling very positive at moment. Hopefully can keep this going into the next few weeks.

ive a few runs planned for this coming week finishing off with a very "funout rial marathon next Sunday. Doing it with a group from the running club and they have promised me its a slow run sometimes walk event. Going to bee out for around 5/6 hours. Really looking forward to it as normally with all my races I try and. Run. As fast as I can where this one is all about teamwork and enjoying the day. 

Not sure if anyone else is doing it. It is called the fairlands run bin Stevenage.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

15 West- 22!! Get out early....imageimage

Stephen- Jasmine?? Well done on the runimage

Bruce- nice running from you tooimage

Just back from a 5.7m recovery run- 30 DEGREES!!!! Glad it wasn't longer or faster. Feel sorry for those doing the hilly Tenby Marathon at 10 am tomorrowimage I would have the letters DNS against my name if it is 30 degrees....

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Morning allimage

time for the long run imageimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Don't know if it was the early start, the lack of breakfast, the 5 hours sleep, or all of the above, but I found this morning's run quite tough. Still, over and done with now!image 16.07m in 2.00.16 (7.29 av) Finished before 8am and temperature was 19 degrees....imageimage

• Jason d u r mad!!!!! I don't even go to work that early, never mind run that time. Amazing time for a training run. what time r u hoping to run marathon in?

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Stephen- lol! that was 75 secs per mile slower than planned race pace....

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

12 easy miles done for me this morning. Went out at 06.30 - am not quite as mad as jason with getting up at a time starting with 05! Felt tough this morning - could have been the curry and wine that I consumed last night I guess, but I am blaming the weather image.  My average pace was 09.50 so waayyy slower then speedy legs Jason ^^^. For comparison sake only my 10k average is around 7.28 min/miles. 

Not sure why I thought that it was a good idea to train for a marathon in summer especially as my plan next week starts heating up - that along with temps of 30-32c is asking for troubleimage

Happy running all

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Lisa- well doneimage The heat is indeed a problem at the moment. It won't last long though- lol! image

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Wish I'd got up early too Lisa. Bailed out of a run to the in laws at 15m, 5m short, and got my wife to pick me up.. Had run slowly and stopped 4 or 5 times for water but it was too hot. Still not been the loo yet so more drinking to be done. 

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Graeme- keep drinking. My first 20 next week- praying for cooler weather- still in high 20s here at 7 pm!

Just been out for the last run of the week- a 30 min recovery run. Decided after 0.3m that running in 28 degrees wasn't going to help, but hinder recovery and abandoned the plan! Stupidly hot here without moving! So curtailed miles for the weekly stats, but ok considering the weather! 102.19m in 12.44.55 (7.29 av)

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Impressive running Jason, wish I'd gone out on my bike instead of running, at least you get a better breeze to cool down and you can carry more liquid.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all. Managed 22mi in 2hr40 this morning. Was warm in Manchester, but noticebly cooler than has been the last week...probably mid teens when set off and about 20 when finished. Was still sweaty though and I was silly to not take water and was really quite dehydrated when got home. Still, a better run than last week.

That mileage is huge Jason. I am mid 70s a week...and I think that is the max I can cope with to be honest.

• Hi everyone.. I'm in for the race..I did Manchester in 4:08 in April so am really, really hoping to go sub-4. I did the Wall ultra in June so have been resting a bit, got the mileage in the legs just need to return to a more structured training plan before this one creeps up on me! Thought it would be a good idea to do an autumn mara with all the summer to train (I work in a school so 6 weeks off) ..then realised kids will be off and I always struggle to fit in runs around family in holidays..oops. 

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

15West- yep, water is a must at the mo...

5.7m recovery run this morning, followed by 7.68m of a hilly loop tonight. This consisted of 5 laps up and over the hill in 24 degrees heat- a hill which 2 years ago I couldn't get to the top of without stopping- lol!image Sounds like progress to me! Sports massage afterwards gave my legs the all clearimage

• wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭

Quite some catching up reading to you, Jason -& folks are speedy. I went out for a flattish 9 miler 6:30 Sunday evening, a bit sluggish to start , but very pleased to finish with 2 fastest miles both sub 9 min miling. And then dripping when I got back , ! It's a but strange training this time, as I'm deliberately not aiming for pb (currently 4:17 on 2010 Chester course) -as I'm pacing the 4hour:45 group ; so my aim apart from the organised training runs when I'll go at slightly slower than 4:45 pace - is to train normally - usual marathon pace goal of 9:40 miling - so that I've then got bags of energy to support the 4:45 pace bus.  Just remember folks there will be pacers for every pace from 3hr goal , 3hr 15, etc  to 5hr goals  . I'll now catch up with posts happy running 

• Hilly 9miler today plus swim training. Shattered. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Got a LT run today. 11mi with 5 at LT pace. Gulp.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

11 with 5 at LT turned into a 10.4 with 4.3 at LT. Was really huffing and puffing towards the end so gave up. Too warm. Too tired.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

15west- god effort. 1 hour fartlek for me later....

WR- sounds like a plan

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

WR - Does Chester have pacers? Last time I can't remember seeing any...

• I did the Chester half last year and I found it hilly...does the marathon take the same route or is it flattish as im planning on doing this as a first marathon

• The half is flat the marathon has a couple of hills, and a really nasty one up Sandy Lane at 24 miles 

Definately pacers this year, probably first time . There's ~16 of us , 2 per group

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/231066846 this is a link to my garmin trace / record for last year, does show elevation, a couple of short 500mtr hills approx mile 14 & 24, only short , but a bit cheeky as otherwise largely flat, I'm not sure the blip in first 5 mile, don't remember anything much - a slight incline in Eccleston , not much. Looking at my pace some serious slow 12 minute plus miles after 21 last year. More even , slower pace for me this year 

• Out of interest, do you aim for consistent effort, or consistent pace when running as a pacer?

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Evening allimage 5.7m recovery run done this morning before it got hot. Fartleks done this evening, but no top end speed after yesterday's hills has left my glutes sore and yesterday's massage left my legs floppy- lol! image Not to mention the fact it was 26 degrees! Lol! Didn't push it, but still ok though- 8.02m in 54.52 (6.50 av)

Good point Hallam . I'd say in general consistent pace , as in my experience ( not as pacer , as this is first- but in 26 marathons) your effort often feels easy early and more late on. And my effort may be different to yours . However think - my opinion only, based on what I've read about pacing and having run the  route twice- I think it's only fair to have some spare time for the (short) hills, Farndon & mile 24. So I may aim pace at very slightly under 4:45 in order to have a little spare 30-60 sec for mile 24. Always open to questions and comments- and I can pass back to pacing group folks. 

I had read some critical comments of pacers in some race who are even paced all along, when 'normal' runners go slower up and faster down ! My aim would be towards normal ! my garmin has average pace / mile lap - much more useful than point pace.