Options

MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Wow 110 miles..... Really impressive.

21.5 for me this morning. Off on holiday this morning so only short onesimage 

wrexham rob... The website says there will be pacers at half hour intervals... But your post suggests differently? Do you know if there will be a 3.45 pacer? Thanks.

have fun in the cooler weather image 

• Options

Hi everyone, some really long runs this weekend. I completed 26.2 at the fairlands trail  marathon. Really great event very challenging with plenty of hills but great to do a nice paced off rd marathon for a change. training going very well as we head in to the heart of summer. Got a more easy week planned this week but that might change as we move into it.

• Options

No where near what some of you guys are doing but got 10 miles (including a total of 55ft of evelation gain and back down again ) in today, longest since the injury, so pleased although absolutely shot at the end.

11 weeks to build from here without over doing it.

• Options

Hello! Only an easy 12miler for me today, thankful for the cooler weather!

• Options

Easy 12 for me today too. Thank heavens for some cooler weather! few easy paced ones recently with the weather being too hot. Hope to ramp up the speed a bit again this week....

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

jason.  I assume that you're using SI Units when you say you've run 110m this week!

I've just completed the first week of the 12 week P&D up to 55 mile programme. 13.5 miles today. Lovely run.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

jason - how do you manage to fit or that mileage in around job/family etc.? That's very impressive...real dedication. I seem to remember you putting in a lot of mileage for Chester last year...but not this much! You have more time in the summer months, right? Also - what do you do for recovery with all that mileage? Massages? Ice baths? Do you not ache?!?

6mi for me today. Hot and sweaty it will be. I'm in an air conditioned office at moment and I am hot and sweaty now! As you probably know....It is time for stormy weather! (who did that song?).

• Options

Pixies! *

Hi everyone. I entered Chester a month or two back after running the Manchester marathon earlier in the year. First time doing this one and I'm looking forward to it loads - I don't normally keep up running too well over the summer so I needed something to motivate me to do so. I'm checking in to see what kind of distances people are doing to give me an idea of where I should be at by now, and the answer seems be 'really long ones'. I'd better get cracking! 

* that's the answer to the question at the end of the previous post, in case anyone thought I'd come on here to randomly post strange words 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Correct.

I actually forgot I asked that question and was a bit confused with why you had that at the start of your post.... Anyway, welcome. Chester is a well organised marathon mostly through the Cheshire (and Welsh) countryside. You made a good choice....and yes, you'd better get cracking! Are you following any specfic training plan?

• Options

Hi, no just my own sort of plan from last time which was one long run a week then fit in as many 10k runs as I can around it. Not always easy with a young family but I'm lucky as I work from home and can sometimes get out during the day. The 10ks worked well last time as I was always trying to beat my best time - but trickier now as the heat makes it hard to run anything but veerrry slooow. I always mean to do hills and sprints but never seem to manage it much. Anyway I've run a few events since the Manchester marathon including a couple of 14 mile trails so I'm not too worried about getting around, but that PB might have to wait until next year. 

Not to worry - a new experience, a picturesque run and we're all heading over to Chester early on the Saturday to make a weekend of it. 

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Get a plan Sam.

For a good marathon, you need to tune many aspects of your body and mind.  That includes your muscles, tendons, bones, heart, your blood, your oxygen delivery system, your lactate threshold, you running efficiency.

Doing a weekly long run and a few 'fast' 10K training runs will tune up some of your physiological systems, but not all of them.   And over 26 miles, you do need them all!

EDIT... you've got 11 weeks to go.  There are plenty of plans out there ranging 12-14 weeks... so very easy for you to select one  and adapt it as appropriate.

You don't have to stick to them religiously (e.g. they have to work around your life)... but it makes you think of the different elements of training you need to be doing..  I've done 1 week of the Pfitzinger and Douglas "Advanced Marathoning" 12 week plan, which starts at 34 miles... and peaks at 55.  

I am however very unlikely to achieve that peak... but it gives me a good framework.   There are plenty of others with less demanding schedules though. Just google.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

or you could just follow the runners world online ones... here

• Options
    wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭
    Runningbagel wrote (see)

this morning. Off on holiday this morning so only short onesimage 

wrexham rob... The website says there will be pacers at half hour intervals... But your post suggests differently? Do you know if there will be a 3.45 pacer? Thanks.

have fun in the cooler weather image 

Hi all - yes there will be pacing for every 15 min from 3to 5 hrs, I've been given a list of names, a pair per time. And Definately 15 min intervals as my group is 4:45 

Theres some serious dedicated running going on here! And welcome to any newcomers / slower folks , don't get put off by these serious - if you'vegot the guts to train for a marathon , you are a marathoner. Do you all listen to the excellent ( in my opinion) Marathon Talk podcasts - ? A great listen to in the car or in the run. This weeks episode has article about a lady running yes the tour de France route. Reminded me of a few key issues we need for motivation - when the going gets tough- reming ourselves why we are doing this . Whether our chosen charity, or just to prove ourselves , if its worthwhile then remind yourself when it gets tough.

I was down in Cardiff @ weekend for daughters graduation

• Options
    wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭

Can't see on iPad if my post is all there. Cardiff was sweltering on day of graduation Friday, a bit cooler Sunday so I managed a 15 mile plod from friends house to Taff trail to Cardiff bay for an ice cream then back , very pleasing , though getting out of the car in North Wales after drive back was interesting !

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I listened to that marathon talk podcast last friday...the person running the tour route is Zoe Romano - her website here: http://www.zoegoesrunning.com/

• Options
    15 west marathon talk is a cracking show ,that interveiw was great,anyway Jason D does put that mileage in fair play,Im up to about 60 miles p/w,but I've got ,The Grim Reaper ultra 40 miler a week friday it's my 1st ultra,then the Chester marathon in October =-O
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning everybody. Bit stormy and very wet here today. Got 12mi with 6 at LT...not looking forward to it as have really struggled with these so far. I try run the LT bit at 6 min/mi which maybe is a bit fast for 15W.

Hope you're all ok out there and noone's been struck by lightning yet.

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

This humidity is s-l-o-w-l-y killing me, what happened to the rain and storms we were promised.

I am currently sat at home (annual leave from work, thankfully) trying to decide between going to my club for speed session this evening, or going out to do my planned run of 7 easy miles with strides. At this precise moment neither seems appealing. Someone please give me a kick up the arse....

Did do my 18 miler on Sunday though which is my longest ever run - well until this Sunday when a 20 miler is planned image

• Options
    wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭

18 mile well done Lisa. Here's a kick up the posterior if you need one. Go for a run you know you'll feel better afterwards. How about the club run ? 

Im off in a while for my own interval session maybe 8+ x 0.25 mile 

Not going to club tonight as daughter home and a takeaway curry is needed, before she starts work next week !!

• Options

Great track session for me tonight after my marathon effort at the weekend. We did a few warm up laps then into groups to do "the golden mile" really tough run but great testy. Managed to do 6:37 which I was pleased with. How some off you guys do it for 26miles is beyond me!!!

a questionfor you ref pace. I want to break 3hrs 30min (prev best 3hr 33) would you say I should go out with the 3:30 pacers or the 3:15 pace group. I'm normally a slower runner for the first half of a race as Imalways concerned about going off too fast. Should I trust my training/ability and go that bit faster, play sensible with 3:30 or even more conservative start with 3:45 group and step it up after 6/8 miles?

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Club session won - thanks for the kick wrexhamrob! 

Track session for me which included amongst other things 800m repeats at 10k pace, was tough but glad I went in the end. Plan asks for a 12 miler tomorrow (today was supposed to be an easy 7) will see how legs feel in the morning though, as after the 18 on Sunday and this evening I don't want to push my luck and get injured.

Fingers crossed that the humidity is reduced tomorrow so I can without resembling a drowned rat image

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Nil for me yesterday and today.  Hmmph.

• Options
    wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭

Stephen E that's a great question re pace - even though I've enjoyed! 26 marathons my usual is around 4:30 with a 4:17 pb , - I'd dream of a sub 4!! It looks like you know your running and if you feel you can kick on later in a race , then pacing at around 3:30 may be the idea. I'd be very wary of trying 3:15 pace fearing burnout. How is your pace in 2nd half and after 20mile ? Maybe have a chat with the 3:15 pacers - will you be going to training run 

• Options
    wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭

Sorry iPad probs again - Stephen the training run on Aug 5th ? 

Well done Lisa good work, take care, if you've not done 18 before last w/e then a 20 next may be tough? 

went to school grass track , good gentle warm up, then did 10x 0.25 mile- very pleased- as all intervals sub 7min mile pace , he he if only I could keep that going for a mile, then I'd pb a mile. Good session though ! Then a curry ! 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello everyone.

Well done Lisa by the way - did I say that on the other thread?

My LT session went almost to plan, was supposed to be 6mi at LT pace but only managed 5.6 as had to take a drastic dive in the bushes to empty the contents of my stomach. After that felt pretty rough and stumbled home, totally covered in sweat. So, not great, but not too bad. I think it was the humidity...plus something slightly dodgy in my stomach maybe. Felt pretty rough for a while afterwards too until I had rehydrated and rested properly.

15mi today.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

HOORAY!!!!image

NEW ROUTER HAS ARRIVED!!!!imageimage

Hello again, everyoneimage

• Options
    alrite mate nice to have you back,just in 11.5 miles done still boiling out there,take care people
  • Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

15w your dive into the bushes yesterday is just an attempt to upstage my first ever pee in the bushes on Sunday - after all you're an elite and ev'ryfink image

ps. I do hope you feel better for your 15mi today.

Good to see you back Jason - although no doubt as you have been off line you have probably doubled your mileage in the mean time and have put the rest of us to shame image

Will do a recovery run today after speed session last night, am saving myself for a LT paced run on Friday image

• Options

Hello! I am doing this as my first marathon and am a little behind on training. Have run 3 HMs this year and have run a 16 mile run before my achilles played up. Going to do a 15 miler on Sunday. Hope I can get my lsd runs up in time. Have the GNR too 3 weeks before.

Looking forward to running near my home town of Wrexham though - mum and dad at the finish line  - and at the half way ish point near Borras image

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Welcome Natalie, a lot of marathon plans are about 12 week's long, so just find one that suits your lifestyle and planned finishing time and try and stick to it you may need to amend it slightly, but most of us do. Do you have a time in mind?