MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Ditto what Nelly says. If your injury is preventing you from training too much....maybe you should let yourself recover properly and they try again next year.

• Did it last year, what a fantastic race. Told at mile 24 that there was a hill coming up, more of a slope than a hill, then let yourself go for the " Glory Mile" and the finish.

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭
    Phil - I'd agree with Nelly.  I would add a suggestion that you use a physio who understands runners.  Many medical professionals are very cautious and suggest not running if it hurts at all, and who am I to argue?
    I can only assume you're made of sterner stuff than I!  I couldn't race as much as you have on 20-30 miles per week of training.  Also I couldn't take six weeks off running then run a half-marathon as my first run back.
    Phil82 wrote (see)

hi I've been running 12 months averaging 20-30 miles per week, I have completed the Manchester marathon and 4 half marathons since then. 8 weeks ago in Shrewsbury I pulled a muscle in my groin half way round and foolishly carried on to finish the race. I stopped running for 6 weeks and rested as much as I could. 2 weeks ago I ran the north Wales half marathon to gauge my finess. I plodded round way off normal pace but although it was uncomfortable I finished, last sat I ran 15 miles again which was uncomfortable but I completed it. My plan was to run 18 today but leg is sore again. Can anyone advise me what to do now? Can I still run in Chester or is it too close ? I was thinking of running a couple of 18s then rest for a month??? Thanks

• Hello all, glad to hear about all the successful training going on image

Jason and SGB - thanks for the advice, it's definitely the long runs I've been prioritising as the speed and tempo stuff in the training plan were all runs I could have managed before I started the plan whereas the long run distances are new (and daunting) territory above half mara.

I've decided to cut down to two tuns a week (plus two karate sessions) as I've found my long runs are better that way, managed 18 miles yesterday (longest run ever) and stayed within ten minute miles without feeling too bad and I could have done more so I'm quite encouraged as the longest runs in my training plan are 20 miles. I'm sure the wheels will come off at some point though!

Also caved in ands got a sports massage, if anyone's in South Wales I'd recommend Cardiff Met, if you pay £20 for a normal session you get a free session with a supervised trainee as well

http://www3.cardiffmet.ac.uk/english/aboutus/facilities/sport/services/pages/massageclinic.aspx

• Thanks for the advice, I ve decided I'm going to pull out of the race, take some time off  running and see a physio. Hopefully I can still do some biking or swimming. all being well ill be back training in time for the manchester marthon or hopefully London.Good luck to everyone running ill still  phone to cheer everyone on 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Sensible decision I think Phil. Definately think you'll be ok for cycling/swimming, especially swimming. Good luck with the recovery.

24mi this morning for me. Feeling wiped out this aftermoon.

• Ice Queen £20 for a sports massage plus a free session bargin, need to think will it cost me less than £18 to get from Winchester to Cardiff image.

Good luck with the recovery Phil.

16 miles today my longest ever (until we moved here 18 months ago I never realised how many hills there are around Winchester!!!) .

Bit stiff but don't feel too bad (if i count friday night I've done 24 miles this weekend, nearly a marathonimage).

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

i haven't been here lately cos it has been pretty much train, eat, recover, train, eat, sleep! Ran 40 mins at MP yesterday evening ( around 6.5m) and followed ith a 3 hour run this morning which turned out at around 24.26m. Legs definitely still feeling the mp effort, but all good. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Impressive as always Jason...and well done Nelly on your 16mi. Onwards and upwards!

Feel knackered today.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Quiet on here...

5.7m recovery run this morning. This afternoon was tougher- 30 mins at 6.11 av followed by 10 x 400s at 5.45 pace with 200m recoveries. 1m warm up/ down either side. Could definitely feel Sunday's 24 and yesterday's sports massage- all good though image

• After a walking weekend away no long run but I managed a club interval run last night 6x 0.6 mile at 7min17/ mile  ish pace , tough but good . Probably a 5mile tempo Thursday then time for a 20miler at weekend. Good decision Phil- sometimes it's just making the decision  whether to keep at it or not , now you have made decision , work on that cross training and recovery.

im trying to do a little Pilates for my back strength - I've had to pull out of a race 7d before when back went into spasms of pain - so trying to keep supple is important for me. Happy training folks

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all.

15mi for me today. Did 5x600 intervals yesterday, I was glad when they were done.

• 6m with intervals last night 48mins , 9m steady for me this evening , legs are beginning to get used to increased mileage (ave 40-44m per week now) even if my lungs aren't ..enjoying it though .

Well done all on some impressive training

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

training going well now   upped my mileage a lot  then went and tripped up last week  grazing my arm badly  still aches   but was out running day after   i am hoping for 3h30

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all. 7mi with some strides for me today.

Organisers have announced that Lucozade sport will be providing drinks/gels along the course: http://www.activeleisureevents.co.uk/full-marathon/race-info/drinks-stations.aspx

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

12m for me this morning and 6ish including 30 mins of hill repeats this evening. Recovery day tomorrowimage

• Just under 5 miles tempo with hill averaging ~8:45/mile rather dripping at end last night. Have to plan my 20mile weekend run ooo uuuurrrr whether early Saturday so I can get to see Wfc Saturday . Or Sunday . Hmm keep on running chaps, and if injured then take care remember the cross training & stretching 

• 15w - thanks for the drinks/gels update .

9m last night at MP and felt good , 16-18m on Saturday with 7m MP

Have sub 3.30 as my aim for Chester but this may be slightly ambitious

good luck to all with your runs this weekend

• Thames Meander half in the morning, be interesting to see what effect this training has on my half times.

• Thanks for the update on the gels... I'll have to get some and try them out.

My training is pretty chaotic, although generally I'm getting decent weekly totals in.  But with holidays, the marathon has crept up on  me a bit!  I've realised that, whilst weekly totals are good, I've not got the really long runs in.  Lots of runs13-15 miles... so I'm going to have to step it up for the next few Sundays.

But it seems I've fallen foul of my own advice to others, and might have been running too quick. I slowed down today, and found it difficult...  speeded up, and was OK.  Hadd would not be impressed!

I'll need to do my long runs slower.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Good luck on that half Nelly.

Runny Knows - you know what to do...get those long runs in.

11mi for me this morning, 6 of them at 10mi/half pace.

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Hey all, does anyone know of any entries going for this one?

• Looks like I might have to take my own advice from earlier in the blog!!! Did the Thames Meander Half today and whilst getting a PB by just over a minute my achillies/calf went about 400m from the end so had to hobble over the line.

Think I may have gone too quick, up until mile 10 I was still looking at sub 2 hour pace which is 6 mins under my pb.

Still very painful so now 6 weeks isn't looking like a good recovery period (especially as my longest run up to now is only 16 miles) .

Must try and get into see physio this week and see what she says but feeling not very hopefull and depressed image

• good luck with that nelly - bad news.

• Hello, had an easy mileage week with being on a school trip walking in the lakes.

aimed on doing 24 this morning..,,all going swimmingly until 11 miles in when I tripped over a curb, hitting knee, hip, hands and elbow. All started bleeding profusely and had to be driven home by a kind gentleman.....

now, although shaken and in bed feeling guilty, am wondering whether 13 tomorrow will count too?

sorry about the calf nelly....bane of my life 6 weeks with sensible foam rollering and ice shoube be ok?

• Good luck to all those trying to recover in time for the run.

I managed my first 20 miler yesterday - not bad as my first run was less then 6 months ago.

I am starting to think about more fun things like what is the biggest, dirtiest meal I can eat after running the Chester Marathon. Anyone local got any suggestions?

• well done guys,great runningimage,15 miler for me today  2hrs 28mins,1st long run since i done the grim reaper 40mile ultra 3 weeks ago imagekeep it going people,

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

just done 2h33 training run today and then went swimming   feel good for marathon and hopefull  the sasuage or bacon muffins on sale at end

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done everybody on their long runs. Nelly - bad luck with that injury...don't write off the marathon yet though, give a fews days to recover and see how you are.

18mi for me this morning, was pretty tiring after yesterday's speedier run.

• still got my head in the sand after the Fleetwood half yesterday..i had a rubbish run still wondering why ...just didn't settle into it...a measly 2:09 imageimage