Options

MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

R118, dont knock yourself about it,how many people wish but could never do that ,tthink about itimage

• Options

Nelly - see how it goes, I had a bad tendon in my foot all week and was concerned about the lack of improvement (was starting to wonder if it was a stress fracture) but it picked up from about Friday and I've run yesterday and today with no effects. Don't write it off. And well done on the PB!

All the best Rob, hope you get to Manchester/London

Rose 2:09 is a good half marathon, well done... Hope you feel better about it later

Sports massage tomorrow, will probably get a couple more before the marathon (especially as I've got a 10k two weeks before), might ask them to move off my calves and onto my feet...

• Options

Hi -just been reading some of the training updates - Jason d are you human?!!!.you must save a fortune on petrol!.Im going to be running as a pace runner (4hrs) really looking forward to it.Training run next weekend,20 miles fun to join in with and helps the miles go by a little easier too.Good to meet up with some of the runners who are taking part.Good luck!image

• Options

Physio confirmed what I really already knew, I'm out image

With hindsight (a wonderful thing!!!) I think I got caught up too much with the prospect of breaking 2 hours in last weeks Thames Meander Half and just over did it, as the physio so nicely put it I should know better at my age and look after my body !!!!!!!

Feeling pretty down about it, as this was my target race for the year, but that's life.

4 weeks no running then start to build up again so need to look at something in the spring, any suggestions of a good spring marathon as a first. Tempted to treat myself to Barcelona.

Good luck with the rest of the training and the race everyone.

PS: anyone looking for an entry and wants to make me an offer to transfer my entry let me know. 

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Nelly - Very sorry to hear that.  I know how it feels to be out due to injury.  I was out for several months in 2011 and a couple of months last year, and am waiting for this year's injury to strike!  I came back faster both times.  Was this a young physio?  He or she sounds a bit ageist!  I agree that older bodies (you can probably guess my age) do need more looking after, e.g. stretching, foam rolling, strengthening of core and glutes, but this all can help to improve speed and endurance as well in my view.

Whilst not running some people try cross-training, e.g. cycling.  Personally I won't cycle much on roads.  However I did use a Wattbike for a bit and can strongly recommend them for aerobic fitness.

Best of luck in the Spring.  I've only done three marathons myself, all at Brighton.  However I believe Manchester is quite flat, it that's what you want.

• Options
    NykieNykie ✭✭✭

Feel for you Nelly image

I have Morton's Neuroma in my foot, just got my date through for cortisone injection and it's 4 days before the marathon. I thought it was 6 but I keep thinking Chester is on the 8th for some reason. 

Anybody had this before? 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about that Nelly. There are plenty of spring marathons to choose from. Barcelona sounds great, Paris is supposed to be very good too. Manchester is indeed flat so good for a fast time, and the support is great, but the route is a bit dull in my opinion. Windermere in May is very popular.

• Options

Hi, does anyone know where I could buy single Lucozade gels? I want to try them before the race but can only find them online in packs of 24. 

This is my first marathon, nervous and excited. Doing the training run next Sunday, does it deffo kick off at 9? 

Cheers Suzy

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Boots.

I think.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

But...SIS Go gels are better.

• Options

Hi Soozy - Yes the training run on Sun 8th does kick off at 9:00am from Total Fitness Chester.  As its 18/20 miles we will be having 5 drinks stations with the bottled water, Lucozade drink & gels that will be used on race day.  There will be pace groups from 7:30 min mile to 11:00 pace.

All welcome & looking forward to running with everyone

• Options

Sorry for you Nelly.

For me, this was supposed to be peak mileage week.  55 mile target. So that's 39 miles I've got to fit in tomorrow then!.

So frustrated with family stuff. One daughter vomitting and needing my undivided.  Forced to visit M.I.L this weekend which wipes out a day in packing and driving.  Then toddler chooses this week to transform from a dream baby into one who refuses to go to sleep and howls and howls...  just when I need to go out for a 6 mile recovery run.  I left her to my wife last night...  I couldn't do it again.

Got to just sneak out, shut the door behind me, and get a 20 miler in tomorrow. Just leave them to it!

• Options

Tried Boots thanks 15West, been using SiS but wanted to try the Lucozade ones as they are being supplied on the day.

And thanks Chris, that's really helpful. See you next Sunday image

• Options

Hello all!!! Sorry to hear you are out nelly.. image it is such bad luck this close.

24 miles today... Was going swimmingly (as in no epic falls an lifts home by strangers ) until 20 miles when realisearrow windy it had been and arms and face were covered in salt, and stomach decided it wasn't taking anything else in....no shots, no drink, no water. got home without making a fool of myself but slightly concerned on how to proceed.... I don't eat before I go out and think it may be a combination of low sugar, low salt? Any ideas?

good luck for the last few weeks of runs.... Eekimage 

• Options

Haven't had that, Bagel. Hope you're ok today.

I got my 20 miles in yesterday morning.  10 minute miles.  Spent the rest of the day shattered...  and (as usually happens when I overdo it.... last night's sleep was broken and full of lucid dreams.

Hard to think how I'll both increase the pace to below 9 minutes AND extend the distance... but I know that it can happen.

Rest today.

• Options

Nelly - sorry to hear that & best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Some big impressive mileages on here this weekend image

I managed 20 yesterday, first time ever, but was disappointed with the pace compared to my 18 miles a couple of weeks ago. At least I was slower all the way round rather than hitting The Wall! I've got another 20 in two weeks time so hopefully that will be better.

• Options

Runningbagel - if running 20mi maybe you should have something to eat before you leave...anything over 16 or so miles and I have a big bowl of porridge a few hours before I leave. Also - maybe gulp down a sports drink before setting off.

• Options

Just poking my head in the doorimage lots to catch up on here! image

• Options

Running bagel - I normally have a bowl of cereal and a banana about 1.5 hours before my long runs but I suppose different things work for different people. It's quite nice going back to bed in the 1.5 hour gap as well!

• Options

Holla all,

Ive just sorted out an entry.... Just need to sort out a hotel room now!

If anyone has dropped out and now has a hotel/bnb which they have booked i'll be happy to buy it off them as I have just checked briefly online and not much accomodation left in the centre of town.

I will be getting the train up from London, so only really need a Saturday night.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Options

Simon,

I had a booking for sat & sunday at the Mill hotel which I had booked via Booking.com I cancelled it on Sunday so may be worth looking at booking.com to see if still avaialble.

• Options

Thanks Nelly, I'll get on that now - very much appreciated

• Options

Runningbagel - We're all different of course, but I don't think it's recommended to go out on a long run with no food beforehand.  For a morning recovery run, I'll run up to say 5 miles without breakfast.  Otherwise I'll run up to 12 miles on a light breakfast, which I seem to be able to do with only a short gap between breakfast and run.  For anything longer I'll have a large breakfast, which for me requires a longer break between breakfast and run, say 90 minutes plus.

• Options

Nelly  - sorry to hear about you having to pull out and hope you are on the mend soon ,have done Brighton twice and loved it so strongly recommend for Spring 2014

Running Bagel  - decent brekkie first before you head out as I find it an energy source that you cant do without , usually take a banana with me for anything over 20m .

Can't believe Chester is only a month away ....  plenty of long runs ahead for me and an ease off a week or so beforehand to taper .

Good luck all with your training 

• Options

Thank you all for advice, oh has also told me to get up, eat, go back to bed and then run. I was ignoring that advice. But now it has been confirmed on here..... image 

a month to go.... Eeek. Hills tomorrow. 

• Options

Enforced rest today, due to work. Got a 6 miles recovery run in last night, back and forth along Sealand Road - in my work shirt because I found I'd not put my t-shirt in my running bag.   I did take my tie off though image

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Hi All

Not posted here before.Ive got a place for Chester but am still unsure if I will give it a go and if I do what to target. I had to DNS for VLM in April (target sub 3.10)due to achilles trouble and havent run much until August (I did tri training though)when I did 150 miles and LRs of 16 and 18 miles and a few around 10. Managed 20 last night at average 0f 8.05mm but it was pretty gruesome in the last few miles. I guess I can get another 20 in next week and and 16/18 the week after then taper whilst monitoring my achilles to ensure I dont break down again so that I will probably have done about 350-40 miles in the 90 days pre race with 5 LRs totalling 94 miles. I ran Liverpool last year in 3.09.I did a 10k last month in just under 43 mins. Im in uncertain territory because of the lack of aerobic training and volume-normally would do av 50m per week

So questions-is the course hilly and if so where and what stage? Any suggestions about what pace I should go for -my A target would be aGFA time of 3.20 ,other than that sub 3.30 but is that realistic in view of the limited training. I suspect it is likely to be a very painful experience whatever or should I just go and have a fun run?

I missed this race a few years ago due to injury and really want to have a go and also because I once lived in a flat overlooking the racecourse and jogged around it so there are nostalgic reasons.

Sorry to ranmble on

• Options

2old,i say run to how you body feels on the day,keep your training going your mileage sounds great,toe the line and go for it mate you will be fine,image

• Options

2old  -  the race profile is on the website  http://www.activeleisureevents.co.uk/full-marathon/race-info/route.aspx

Looks pretty flat to me.  Total of 101m over the whole run shows it's pretty flat.  They do say "The route is largely flat with some short hills or gradual climbs which are predominantly in the second half of the course."  Mind you, the elevation profile looks to me like these undulations are more in the first half.

Some people have said there's a hill at 24 miles...  but most say it's just a gentle slope.  Certain looks nothing on the map.  I guess it just feels bad when you're knacked!Hope you feel fit.

• Options

Yeah, it's pretty flat apart from the mile 24 hill which is probably gentle as RK says but at the time feels a wee bit unnecessary. 2old...I reckon target 3.20...and if you blow up you'll know why! Do a few runs where you practice your mp before race day.