MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• NjordNjord ✭✭✭

15West has hit the nail on the head about Sandy Lane.  On fresh legs, you would barely register this as more than a ramp.  After 24 miles, you have to view it as a brief 2-3 minute effort after which you have pretty much conquered Chester Marathon.  DO NOT look at the apparent colossus of a mountain ahead, let spirits drop and start walking.  DO say “I’m gonna keep up the effort level for the next minute and see how I feel”.  Then, regardless of how you feel, say “one more minute and I’ve nailed this b@$tard”.  Then it’s flat/downhill all the way to the finish where you will be rightly treated like a hero.

• Woo hoo!! Must admit I feel headachy and sluggish.....heavy legs today which saps confidence but I am DETERMINED to take on board the advice of experienced marathoners who say this is NORMAL..

I feel like last weekend would have suited me better....two weeks after the 20 miler

• +1 Griffo.  In fact I'm now looking forward to nailing the b*****!

•  

Last semi-long effort today.   A measured 1/3rd marathon the treadie in 75 minutes (11.3kph pace throughout).   As usual, I was tired from sitting up way too late last night lol.  As usual, the gym was its normal airless 20C lol.

Apart from my normal opening 'toxic twenty',  this effort was extremely straightforward and should have left me (like all recent long runs) oozing with confidence.

But I've none whatsoever!!!!!!    Indeed, I'm now wondering whether to even attempt to beat my 4:13 PB.

Got to get to the right place mentally.

• Tim of mk,you will be ok,ive had last week out injured,but in going to beat my Blackpool time i set in march 4.21 just do it mate what you got to lose ????
  •  

Griffo

Thanks for the encouragement.  

I'm actually toying with a very unusual strategy.   That's treating Chester as two quite separate half-marathons.    I'd run the whole of the first one with the 3:45 pacer (hopefully in around 1:53).    Then, to avoid 'burn out',  I'd run/walk (Jeff Galloway style) the whole of the second one (in 2:??).   

How are you planning to play it?

Tim

• Follow the sub 4 Tim see if i can take 21 mins off Blackpool,last week i had no hope of running. Chester mate that's how things change so quickly,so just go for it and see lol!
  •  

Griffo

We might then find that we finish with say 10 minutes of each other.

Tim

• If you see a welsh nutter in a porthcawl runners vest say hello its me,im the only one from our club doing it,may be we will have a chat on the way round lol!
  •  

I'll do that.

I'll be wearing a white top with blue diamonds on the front.

On the back of the top is the legend "Body Says Stop, Spirit Cries Never!".

• No problem mate keep my eyes open for you,great motto to.
  • Just washing my running kit and the washing machine exploded covering my clothes with debris. Bad omen?

• Yes good excuse for a new kit ,West lol!
  • Hi all,

This is going to be my first one, a bit nervous. Not as prepared as I wanted to for various reasons. Hopefully I have done enough to get me to the finishing line. Ran up to 21 miles about 4 weeks ago and did 15 the Sunday before last.  Just wondering what I should do between now and next Sunday. And on the day I don't really want to wear a belt but my shorts can only hold 2 gels.  Just wondering if you guys can suggest anything?  Also not sure if I should set off extra slow or normal pace of a half and see my pace decline as the race goes on? Got a half PB last month of 1:44 so hoping to get at least a sub 4:30, very concern about the last 6 miles.  It was really hard the last 2 miles when I did my 21.  Sorry for all the questions! Thanks  image 
  • Run 10 on sunday...then shortish runs for first part of the week, all slow apart from a couple of miles at marathon pace on wednesday. Then for latter part of week if you do run make it real short and slow...feel free to take days off...and make sure you eat plenty of carbs on those days.

How many gels you planning on taking? Maybe you could hold the rest in your hands...or tucked in your shorts somehow. I'm using a SIS Belt for mine, not ideal but works ok if tucked in shorts. Aim to take one every 30 to 40 mins.

Best to keep an even pace throughout as much as poss, but maybe run your first mile or two a little slower than marathon pace and make it up later. Or...if there's a 4.30 pacer then follow them?

• Thanks 15, I was going to do a fast parkrun tomorrow and may be a slow 8 miles Tuesday, I wasn't expecting a 10 miler this Sunday. Lol! Thought I could do with all the rest I can get. image By the way I was planning to take 5 gu gels, one for every 5 miles. Thanks for all your advice. 

• Hi Twinkling Star

Re gels, I found an armband which holds 4 gels (my plan is to take one at 5,10,15 and 20 miles, plus an emergency in my shorts if things get ugly at 23-25)..  Brand is 'Hilly' although I'm sure there are others out there.  I did have to tighten up the loops (someone on the Abingdon forum mentioned safety pins which I tried out this evening and it worked well - thought I was going to have to get the needle and thread out).  If you do get one I'd suggest trying it out over a couple of your short'n'slows next week to make sure the gels stay in place ok.

I'd also try and go for an even pace.  I would have thought a 1.44 half would bring you in well within 4.30 even if you do go out at HM pace and hang on in there - but my experience is that the last 6 miles will be infintely more enjoyable if you start at target marathon pace.  It may feel slow and overly easy during the early miles - it did for me in April at Stratford - but it should mean you can stay at that pace for much longer - and enjoy passing everyone else in the last 6 miles image

If you've done 21 in training then you'll be absolutely fine on the day - you'll know from your HM races that the buzz of the event works wonders for keeping you going!

• Park run tomorrow, aiming for PB, 5k on Monday, massage on Tuesday, 5k Thursday and that's it for me
  • Twinkling star- I'll be doing my last long run today, roughly 8 miles with about 3 @ marathon pace. 

Day off tomorrow then I'll run Mon, Wed, Fri next week. All short and very easy runs although I might do a few strides within those runs.

I always tell this story on here so sorry if you've heard it before but when I did my first marathon I got ill 10 days before and didn't run at all until the race. I probably felt better in that race than I've ever done. So it just goes to show that you could almost put your feet up now for a week and still be ok. 

I believe less is definitely more in your last week. 

As for gels have u tried a bumbag? 

• MARK1981 never get sick of a good story mate enjoy the taper see you in Chester.
  • Mark1981....  I know what you mean about your story.  I seem to run best after a few days of complete rest.

I've been ill since Sunday, but ok to venture out today. Thank goodness! 

• Yep - better to be undertrained than overtrained. My schedule has me running every day...but I will take at least one day off next week. Probably will be 13 tomorrow, 5 mon, 7 tue, 8 wed, 5 thu, rest fri, 4 sat. Wed will be a few mp miles, rest will all be slow. Seems a lot maybe...but this is off a schedule that took me up to about 80mi/wk.

Just did 7mi this morning with some strides.

Weather update: who knows?! This weekend would have been nice though!

• Strange schedule 15W cant see much taper there buddy ????
  • That looks like 29 miles in total but if 15West has been doing 80 miles a week then that mileage will probably feel very easy. 

Those doing really high mileage probably can't reduce their volume too drastically because its a big shock to the system and that's when you pick up coughs and colds. 

Just did 8.5 with a few miles @ mp, weather was perfect to run in, just like a cool summers morning. Id love it to be like this for the race.

My legs still feel very flat and got a bit of a sore throat too! Can't wait to get this week over and done with. image

•  

I'm feeling a bit crap today, after falling on a spiral staircase.  Chewing on Ibuprofen.  Hopefully, just a temporary knock or two (neck and back, not legs).

I'm hating tapering (which I've not done for previous marathons).  I feel so unfit and must be putting on 2lbs a day lol.

• Survived cross country this afternoon, marathon cannot be as hard as that. I hope that means I am ready for Chester

• Getting really nervous now. Done 3 24 mile runs, started tapering last week with a 20 and did 10 this morning with shorter faster ones mid week. I was going to go with the 3:45 pacers given a half pb of 1:42 but others seem to be setting slower targets? 

Confused......I had calculated that 3:45 would be about right...... But now the doubts are setting in. 

This time next week I will be settling in the luxury of a travel lodge!!! 

• Reading some of the mileage done on here, I'm definately feeling a little underprepared now. Too late to put in another long run, I guess.