MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Oh yeah - same guy too from the pics.

Hmm - in Liverpool he had a bit of a resurrection.

First 10k - 556th place.

10k to half 774th place.

Half to 20 mile - 1771 place (fading fading fading)

20 mile to finish - he ended up in 947th place.

That's a lot of overtaking ?
  • an improver he ran 3:56 at liverpool 2012

• And in mins per mile pace for Liverpool.

First 10k - 7.20

10k . half 8.42

Half to 20m - 10.22

20m to Finish - 9.34

Excellent comeback there - he must have been saving himself.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

In the video he's just behind Njord.

• Blimey, and I thought I had trouble keeping an even pace

• NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Man takes off t-shirt that he wears over vest.  Chip gets crumpled and transponder fails to function until he refastens it to vest later in race.

Man runs marathons to raise money for children's charity and feels a misguided duty to 'finish' the races despite injury or lack of fitness.

Man is mentally ill.

Maybe I'm a soft touch, but I would rather give someone the benefit of the doubt.  Initially, I would not cry foul nor question motives, but approach the runner concerned, explain the discrepancies that have been discovered and offer to remove their name from the official results without kicking up a stink.  I would like to think this is how most sensitive race directors would approach such an issue.

• NjordNjord ✭✭✭

I hasten to add that I don't know him!

• I think the results are still provisional aren't they ?
  • NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Yes.  Still provisional.

• Fab times everyone! I am impressed and would like to be nearer to you in future marathons. I got back in 05:02 in the end, I'm so pleased to have done a marathon that I don't care about missing five hours although I might have made it if the 24 marker was in the right place as I wouldn't have stopped at the last toilets. I walked some of every mile after 15 so I'm hopeful of knocking some time off in future (as opposed to my half marathon PB where I think I've peaked).

RK I thought the photos were really expensive as well, I'll stick with the one my other half took of me after the finish.

I'm a big fan of running with music but I don't have it loud enough so I don't know what's going on around me (or perhaps I'm too embarrassed by the thought people can hear what I'm listening to). I also have the Nike+ running app which talks to me about my average pace, very useful. May invest in a garmin before the next one if they ban headphones, good excuse as I've wanted one for years.

Anyone entering next year...? It clashes with the Cardiff Half again so need to have a think.
  • Forgot to say wrexhamrob - I was near your group during the American National Anthem! Couldn't keep up with you in the end though...
  • Didn't speak to her and odds are she'll never read this but I'd like to thank Hayley #4056 for keeping me honest all the way around, without her would never have gone under 4 hours.

• REMREM ✭✭✭

BTW. Back to carb depletion/loading.  Never done it before, never felt so strong in the last part of the race (last 10k was the 2nd fastest out of the 4), and a PB at the age of 47 and 25 marathons.  Wasn't much fun though......

• pleased to report a 4.12.00 for me.

Given my mid week runs for weeks 1-11 of my training consisted of 2 miles to and from bus stop twice a week for work commute, and no midweek runs in last 5 weeks, LSRs 2 16s, 2 18s and 1 20 I cannot complain.

Always knew wheels would come off at some stage, walk/jog from 21.6 to 23, groin cramps imminent.

But even though I detest heat I learnt so much about hydration in this my 5th marathon, drank far more water, gels but no energy drink, settled stomach for a change,  and after the "rest" after 21 I recovered to run non-stop the last 3 miles and kicked Sandy Lane's ass!

No DOMs, really cannot wait to train better for next marathon in June (Kent Roadrunner) and aim for a pb, is sub 3.45.

Roll on the winter for new goals at 10k, 19m, and HM!

Perfect organisation again, the thought to dish out trainer covers for the boggy racecourse shows to what lengths Chris/Andy go to, top marks gents!

And thanks to "Rob" the guy doing 10 marathons in 7 months written on white t-shirt I kept yo-yoing back and forth with in 2nd half of race, you were my target over those late milesimage

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

REM - Best marathon after 25 is epic!  Of course you won't be surprised to hear me say that 47 is no age.  Carb depletion has never really appealed to me, but I'm getting interested.  If you don't mind my asking what time did you do?

• Jez Maytum, great to read your review of the race - we ran most of the race within metres of one another (I was 1584), but sounds like you ran Sandy lane better than I did!  we even appear in our pics together around mile 16-17.   well done on beating my time by over a min, but happy with my 4:13 for a first timer.   cheers for the great company whilst running,

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done Ice, REM and Jez. I don't fancy that carb depletion. I find the week before stressful enough without adding that to it.

Have just entered Helsby Half in January. Not done it before, entered last year but got snowed off. Gets a lot of good reports.

I probably won't be doing Chester next year, was thinking only one marathon next year. Although...I am tempted to enter ballot for New York.....

• Blimey - our vet with the dodgy chip has some really bad luck with timings.

Same thing happened in the Wilmslow Half in 2012. No splits recorded for a 1.30.
  • ChomskiChomski ✭✭✭

Good spot cougie. He really is unfortunate isn't he?

• Probably got too much electricity in his body or something ?

I wonder if he'll be doing London with a GFA place ?
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Tony's Trials on MarathonTalk podcast from Chester marathon - worth a listen. About 26mins in.

• ChomskiChomski ✭✭✭

Great report from Tony. He's right about the bottle etiquette too, I saw some people launching theirs miles over hedges and walls. I'm pretty sure he must have passed me in the last mile or two as I finished in 3:37 after fading badly in the last 3 miles.

• While I agree with Tony' general sentiment, I did think some of the bottle drops could have been a bit further on after the bottle pick-ups. I had only taken a sip of two, and there it was. Maybe have another drop a bit further on, or make it clear where people should drop them if they have to e.g. at the bottom of road signs which might make it easier to clear up. That said, if that is what we are complaining about, it shows what a fabulously well organised race it was on Sunday. I'll be back.

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Hallam - I haven't heard Tony's talk yet.  However I completely agree with what you say about the bottle drops.  I think it's a common problem with races.  Sometimes I slow down to a walk to drink the water, and then dump the bottles in the designated area, though I didn't on Sunday.

• ChomskiChomski ✭✭✭

Isn't it just a case of either dropping them in and around the fuel stations or at the mile markers? Anywhere else is effectively fly-tipping.

• I think some runners are as litterbuggy as the rest of the population. I saw people ahead of me lobbing them into streams and fields and a couple of idiots just drop them in the middle of the road for the rest of the runners to stumble over.

I'd like stricter warnings at the race start - if you litter - you get disqualified. They do this in triathlon. If you're tough enough to run 26 miles you're tough enough to deal with a sticky gel wrapper.
  • I wonder if he will get a hoodie?

• Surely organisers have clocked thr discrepancies.....perhaps he has himself and is reporting it to them....I bet SGB1953 is watching that space! On another note. ...I haveeentered manchester to try n get good time and liverpool to enjoy!! I think looking back on chester I was just on the point of bonking as went from 8:30 min miles for 20 and kinda struggled for next 6 prob doing betwrrn 9:30 -10:00 min miles....would it be better next time to go abit slower and hopefully keep lactic dispersal easier.?? Advice all sounds a bit of an unknown as you only get your chance on the day and not going to try different plan in a hurry...I would love yo do 3:45 just once and probably running out of time at my age...Having said that it looks like I could achieve an AMAZING time aged 60!! image

• I wonder if he will get a hoodie?

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Bev - My very limited understanding is that a slow decline is more likely caused by dehydration.  I believe that bonking tends to happen suddenly, hence "hitting he wall".  To be honest I'm not sure about the role of lactic acid in this. 

According to Pfitzinger & Douglas the idea is to be as consistent as possible with speed (adjusting for hills) as possible.  This maximises the use of fat and hence minimises use of carbohydrate.

Personally I think you did an amazing time! And you won at F60.  Fantastic!