MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Bev - do you wonder if he will get a hoodie?

• Ha ha......its an age thing! Repeating yourself!  In fact I think I already said it in an earlier post....makes three times said it! 

SGB1953- thanks and well done YOU! I wonder if you'll get a hoodie??? image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Bev - most people struggle in the last 6 miles of a marathon and slow down. I certainly did. Like SGB says bonking is when you run out of a certain amount of glucose for energy and your body is trying to use more fat ...and it all becomes too much and your body just almost shuts down....I think as a coping mechanism to make sure you keep your vital organs going. Something like that. So, don't think you bonked...you just got tired due to many factors, one of which could be dehydration.  I have never hit the wall, but have heard it is extremely unpleasant. This is why the most important sessions in any training plan are the long runs so you adapt to be better at burning fat and conserving glucose. Also reason why important to take on carbs during the race itself.

I think.

• 15West. ...that is very reassuring actually. I agree it would have felt A LOT worse if I truly bonked and probably was a bit dehydrated.  I don't take enough water...lots of jelly babies tho! Still on a high how it went anyway! Thanks guys...its been great to chat!

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

bev - Were you just taking jelly babies and water?  I gather one is also supposed to take sodium etc.  I think that why gels, funny-coloured drinks and things like shotbloks are so popular.  Along with water, I take shotbloks, though can't actually cope with as many as I should eat. I gather one can get hyponatremia from not taking enough sodium etc in a long race.  The consequences can be very serious.

I agree taking enough water can be difficult.

• I tried electrolyte drinks a couple of times...my blood pressure went up after i used them and I blamed them! Its all so complicated! I am going to have to think about all this but benefits of taking some sodium onboard for what is after all a very demanding  challenge prob outweigh any worries about bp! I do appreciate all this input...

• Hyponatremia is when you take on far too much water. It's hard to take that much on - if you just drink to thirst you won't go too far wrong.

I only had a few swigs of water in the first 20 miles or so and then drank half a bottle of lucozade or so over the last 6 miles. Then again I'll run 20 miles without water if it isn't hot.
  • REMREM ✭✭✭

SGB 2.55.14.  Times were getting slower and slower and ended up being stretchered off in London in 2011 after a 3.21 run.  Upped the mileage and last 3 marathons have been  3.00.33, 2.59.19, 2.55.14. 

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

How much have you upped the mileage to REM?

• REMREM ✭✭✭

Apart from tapering, not less than 65, and mostly over 80. About 25 pounds lighter than the 3.21 debacle.  Very hard to separate elements of training IMHO. more miles, less weight, more shorter races, carb deplete/load.  Dunno!

• I wouldn't say no to a 3.21 debacle

• REMREM ✭✭✭

Stretchered off.  Kit cut off me - which was Ok because I'd already been sick over it, packed in ice.  Put on a drip. Rather uncomfortable thermometer. Sick over my clean clothes.  It was fab. 

As my wife reminded me, I do this because it gives me pleasure. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Sounds fun REM. Probably a combination of all of above on your improvement.

I followed same structured schedule as last time, but more mileage..about 20mi/wk more, and got a 50s PB...so in future going to keep mileage at max 70 I think. Can't be bothered to run loads and loads for diminishing returns. I think just need to make sure I hit specific paces in my speedwork.

In other news, I seemed to have forgotten to stop carb loading.

• REMREM ✭✭✭

Me too. Fat as a pig. Starting running again tomorrow!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I went to gym today to cross train and do some weights etc., and I felt so weak and lacking energy.

• REMREM ✭✭✭

Yep. 20 minutes x trainer and 1000 metres rowing this morning. Knackered. 

Rob

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

bev - I don't check my blood pressure, because I don't know how to.  The last time my doctor did (the NHS gives people of my (our?) advanced age tests) she said it had gone down a lot.  When I said I'd taken up running since the last test she said that'd be it!

If you haven't got Pfitzinger & Douglas, then maybe it would be worth a read.  

cougie - I'll do 10-13 miles without food or drink, but 20 miles!! Are you a camel?

REM - That's fantastic!  Well done.  An inspiration to us all.  Personally I think weight is not spoken of much and very underrated as a factor in speed.  The main reason I think Chester may be the end of me as a fast runner is that I've lost as much weight as is possible.

REM and 15 - Just get on with it guys!  I don't want inspiring guys like you sounding weak.  Chester was 4 days ago you know!  It's time to sound strong and think about the next main target.

• I just went for my first run since Sunday and it felt pretty good. Then again I didn't run nearly as fast as you guys...although I will be doing so soon because I'LL HAVE THE BOOK! 

Anyway, I think I might enter this Helsby four villages half marathon as well. Manchester in April seems a way off and it'll be good to have something to aim at in the meantime. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

"You’re not ready to run another marathon until you’ve forgotten the last one."

Frank Shorter.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Sam - if you live in NW try Stockport 10 in December too....check out the video: http://www.stockportharriers.com/index.php?q=video/648

• Oh yeah, might well do, thanks. Although I know what the hills are like around there...what I am saying, gotta start thinking like a real runner! 

"You’re not ready to run another marathon until you’ve forgotten the last one." - a bit tricky for that woman on here who ran two in consecutive days.

• cougie's post of 11-20 this morning disturbs me.

• ... it's the one about the guy who won the M60 age category in an incredible time, with no intermediate checkpoint times, and no apparently no intermediate official photographs.

• REMREM ✭✭✭

Running shoes on . Chester top on . Time to get back on it!

• Runny Knows- somebody must have asked the organisers to check? if I was second in that category I certainly would! 

• Ordered P & D book! Amazon 67p!  Don't know if F60 can improve much but worth having a last bucket list try!!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Wow. Bargain. Is it the Advanced Marathoning book?

• Yes! Plus postage but, like you say, a bargain...probably a bit used but supposed to be in good condition and not a huge outlay to have a gander at some of the stuff you guys talking about!!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

You'll be on the 85+ schedule sooner than you think.

Still no running for me till next week.

• NjordNjord ✭✭✭

P+D is a good read. 

There's a fair bit of hack science underpinning some of the logic behind the schedules, but there's no doubting Pfitzinger was/is a master of athletic periodisation - the idea that you cannot run at peak performance all year round.  Pfitz's firmly held belief was that you built an aerobic endurance base first (lots of slow running) before working on increasing lactate threshold and top it all off with some speedy VO2max stuff to bring you into peak form for your 'A' race.

None of this was particularly ground-breaking (Jack Daniels before him thought along similar lines), but Pfitz's schedules have worked for *lots* of runners.

I diligently followed the P+D up-to-70 miles per week plan for my debut marathon back in 2006.  I was delighted with a 2hr58 finish (small neg split), particularly because my more experienced running friends had told me that my recently set HM and 10K pbs (1hr25 and 39 minutes respectively) were not quick enough for a sub-3 and that I needed to do more speedwork.

P+D may not suit everyone, but as I say, it's a damned good read and I still use some of the ideas to guide my training today.