MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• REMREM ✭✭✭

I found it such an interesting book that I lent it to a clubmate who promptly emigrated to Ibiza!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Njord - I followed P&D up to 85 schedule for Chester (not strictly, didn't bother with any 2nd runs on double days, so was probably up to 80) and got a slightly improved PB (50s). I was thinking for my next marathon in the spring of less mileage (up to 70) and focus more on the paces in the lactate/mp/vo2 runs...as often I felt too tired to really try and hit these. What do you think? Or do I need to keep throwing more mileage at it?

Also - do you follow any particular schedule now, or just make up your own?

• Bev,

The person who came 2nd in the category has, from what I've noticed, been an absolute gracious gentleman. And every credit (but I still hope he's lodged a query). If the winner is confirmed, then no problem - in the circumstances, I'm sure he won't mind answering a few questions.

In my only previous marathon, subsequent photographs showed that the "woman" finishing in 3rd place was, in fact, a 6 foot bloke.   I'm sure the 4th placed woman was elated with her performance anyway, but after all the months of effort, and a perfect race, I'd have been mighty p*d off to have been robbed of my moment on the podium... and all the extra adulation and even greater fun on the day, whilst still in that bubble of elation and fatigue. Just because of some thoughtless idiot .  It's not quite the same being promoted to the podium after the event!

• NjordNjord ✭✭✭

15West - I think it's good to switch strategy every few years.  Keeps things fresh and gives the body something different to think about.  I'm no coach, but what you're suggesting makes a lot of sense.  More miles becomes a liability if they end up being ploddy trudging affairs that compromise faster sessions.

I make up my own training now, almost on a day-by-basis.  I'm probably guilty of exactly what I'm warning you against - I run too many slow miles (4200+ last year) with insufficient quality to race times that I know I'm capable of with a small adjustment in training philosophy.  But I enjoy my running and probably won't change.

• NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Runny Knows - I hope a polite query has been lodged as well.

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Runny - Thanks for the compliment!

Njord - Thanks for the details of your 2006 training.  Interesting.  I agree that most people would say your 2006 10K and HM times weren't fast enough for a sub 3 hour marathon.  Everyone is different, and I think most people find it very hard to scale up from a fast HM to a fast marathon.  You (and I, at the moment) are exceptions.  My impression, having taking up running only a few years ago, is that to convert a fast HM to a fast marathon needs a lot of long distance running, though not necessarily at any great pace. 

I also agree P&D is well worth a read even if you don't follow the schedules.  That said I've only read three books on running, so there may be loads of others!

• I'd really struggle to fit more than 50 hours a week alongside family duties. I rarely get out before 8pm as it is. I'll give the schedules a good look over though.

The only ever book on running I've ever read before was by the Japanese author Haruki Murakami, and that's more philosophical musings than training techniques. In any case in all his years Haruki's never cracked 3:30. Maybe he needs to get a copy of P&D off Amazon.  

I learned that from this look at celeb marathon times: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_non-professional_marathon_runners

The most striking is the MP turned political pundit Matthew Parris. 2:32! He was 35 at the time. These days he's given up and reckons long distance running is bad for you. Nah! The time I have in my sights is Bjorn from Abba's 3:23:54. That's my new goal - me vs Bjorn (1980 vintage).  

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Sam - Thanks for that great site!  I've read Murakami's book too. As you say, musings. 

• Sam... if you can't complete those programmes in the time available, you must the slowest runner in the world - do you get overtaken by slugs?] image

[re-read your first line!]

• Oh yeah, oops! It certainly feels like 50 hours sometimes. No prizes for guessing I meant miles

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

+1 for that Murakami book. Best running book I've read (I've only read a few) is the Running with the Kenyans book. The author is in Japan at moment researching for his next book (Running with the Japanese?)

• He's going from England to Japan via train isn't he ? That's what I got from his twitter feed 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Is he? You sure it's not that he is in Japan to see how marathon runners train?!

• Think it must be the latter...his last updates say he's living in Japan writing his next book about Japanese runners. Not saying he didn't get there by train though!

• yeah but i think he got a gig to get their via train.... it was a while ago he was having fun going through scandinavia and then in russia ;0 bet there is a chapter when the book comes out about it image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Just going through his tweets I think you're right booktrunk...

• Mike Wrench, looking at the times we must have been tripping over one another up to halfway!

What was it you said coming up to Holt village when I complained about needing to take another gel "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"?

That mantra stayed with me thru my dark miles of 19-23 so thanks for that!

Great debut for you in 4-13, are you game for another or put you off?

• Jez - certainly game for another!   I'm already planning a spring marathon to target that 4hrs.  I learned a great deal from the 1st marathon.... like many more LSR's required in training!

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Everyone back running? I did 7 miles during the week and 17.65 miles yesterday, needless to say legs were feeling a little tired near the end of yesterday's run home from parkrun
  • SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Andy - That's impressive.  I've done 4 miles (Thursday); 5 miles (Saturday) and 6 miles (Sunday, today).

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I have ran exactly 0 miles.

• An hour this morning...first run but done lots of walking. Got Birmingham Half next sunday. Felt great....still floating above the ground a bit actually!

• REMREM ✭✭✭
    11 this morning. About 11 too many.
  • SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Bev - Sorry if this is old news to you, but did you know your Chester marathon time is the 10th fastest for a UK F60 in 2013?  Fantastic achievement!

• Woo hoo!!! I certainly didn't clock that!  I spose the reality is that there are not many of us  but it's still good I think....where did you find that? On another note, I have e mailed tdl timing with query and said that as the F60 I was interested in the M60 time, couldnt quite believe it and questioned lack of stage times.....

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Bev - Thanks. It's on runbritain.  If you register (and perhaps even if not) you can get to the rankings sections, and see the best time for most common race distances, overall, by age, gender etc.

If you need more help let me know!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Congrats Bev - impressive stuff. Sports Personality of the Year next maybe?

• Haha....cheers guys...it's certainly very encouraging! I looked at runbritain and........VERY interestingly. .....there is no one above the person who appeared to have been pipped to the winning of the hoodie in the M60 age group at chester!! What do you read into that then???? Who gets the hoodie??

• I really enjoyuntitled, first marathon, nevdebone a half but wanted to fit in a full one before I turn 40 this yr, stwith they the 3 .45 pacers and did 3, 41. Rwith one someone called rich inthat's group and would love to hear how got in on in the end as he dropped back at 18 miles. Great race and couldn't have got better weather! Thanks nicjy

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Bev - I don't think that's right.  Two MV60 have beaten the leading MV60 from Chester so far in 2013. The V60 who did 2:55 at Nottingham has a PB of 2:17 (not this year - he is 60 remember!).  That is close to top 3 for a UK runner in 2013 so far.