Options

MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

1525354555658»

Comments

• Options

I saw on the website also that next year they are looking at ways to vigorously enforce the matter of discarding  water bottles or gel packets outside the designated drop zones.

One suggestion was to use snipers in the bell towers... harsh..but fair!!

• Options

SGB...  sorry, it doesn't. My sarcasm went a bit too far there... image

But now I think....  the way you bit back, maybe you have a guilty secret? image

Personally, I laid down bottles on the grass verge in sensible places, where there was already a pile (but technically "illegal", so I might take a bullet if I do it next year). Gel packets went only in the designated  waste areas. Actually, that was one bit of feedback I gave on the satisfaction survey... to improve the  waste repositories.  They weren't good.  But I was truly disgusted with how some runners had launched bottles over, or into hedgerows, where some won't be found.  (And I bet the volunteers had quite a time trying to retrieve some that were lying in the middle of tall/wide hawthorn hedges)

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Runny - Thanks, I did wonder!  Normally I'm careful about leaving litter, but in a race I tend to leave the water bottles by the side, like you.  I don't always use the designated areas as they're way too soon after the water stations for me.  Instead I try to leave them where others have, or by marshals.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I chuck them at the supporters.

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    My time was bumped 3 seconds from 3:40:32 to 3:40:35 so I gave them my garmin stats and the live provisional results and they changed it to 3:40:32 ... Every second counts, right?
  • Options

Andy...is that right, they altered the stats...based on your Garmin... because my Garmin shows a mileage of 26.35 MIles. 

Anyone else get the same distance on their Garmin (other GPS distance tracking watches are availableimage)..?

Who did you send the stats to?

• Options

Re the waste/ bottle issue, I think the contractor employed to provide waste bins jibbed att he last minute, hence no whellie bins.

• Options

Not for a second do I think they are going to adjust my time for that...I trust the course measurement and besides, I could have run round town for a bit, grabbed a coffee and all that, clocking up distance...I didn't.... but I could have done!!....... if I was mad!! 

• Options

I am really surprised that they changed the official time to match your garmin, and the 'unofficial' tracker.

I would not have given any weight to your Garmin time, as it is so open to 2 or 3 seconds error depending when exactly you pressed the start/stop buttons.  Anyway, at the start, there were a couple of wires close together.... and I've no idea which would be the actual start.

My offical time was 2 seconds longer than my unofficial one - from my facebook autofeed (I won't be appealing... but might have done if it could make a difference with a GFA or something).   But I would have thought that they should trust their official timings.

btw... the results are back on the tdl site.  None have been removed!

• Options

Still think it's amazing performance from someone and shame no one can see how good he was at 10k 20k  or 30 k.......someone to look out for at next event....

• Options

Very carefully written Bev.

No lawsuits coming your way image

• Options

Why am I bovvered?

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

My Garmin did say 26.32 as 26.22 is the shortest distance measured, so a bit of weaving and satellite accuracy accounts for that.  The time though was based on starting on the Garmin start line and stopping on crossing the finish, that's pretty accurate!  And it reconciled with the provisional live result so a valI'd time.  They clearly would adjust the time to meet the Garmin at 26.22 but the time when you crossed the finish line is when you complete the marathon (regardless of distance).  I just queried it because the same chip was used to generate the unofficial time as to calculate the official time so couldn't understand where 3 whole seconds would come from.  They were more than happy just to change for the sake of 3 secs after all TDL are responsible for the live tracking results and the official results so I was just being a little pedantic querying the inconsistency not expecting them to change it but they did 

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

What a difference a 3:00:02 time would make compared to 2:59:59image

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Clearly would not adjust to meet the Garmin at 26:22 though!

• Options

So are the results now finalised? 

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

I believe so yes

• Options

I've enjoyed reading some great comments about the Chester marathon over the last 2 weeks and also been educated. Just thought I should add my own.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first Chester Marathon and have only positve comments to make about the whole experience. The organisation, the route, the start/finish venue and the attention to detail were first class. The support along the route was uplifting as was the support from fellow runnres before, during and after the race. I had read some reviews prior to the race but never appreciated how good it it was until taking part. Unfortunately I was unable to make it for the training runs and seminars, but will make an effort next year. As a lone runner with only 1 previous marathon I think I could learn a great deal from the wealth of knowledge available and maybe run smarter and improve on my 3:41 at 48.

Thanks to all involved with Chester marathon. Look forward to next year.