I must get sub 3hr marathon next Spring - but how?!!

2»

Comments

• What are your thoughts on a mid week long ish run? For Mablethorpe this was a change from my VLM 13 schedule and i did a pyramid and increased to 13m midweek at about Wk8 and then back down again towards Wk 14. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Jason- just reading through that above. Two things stand out to me that I am planning differently, though at the minute this is based on nothing more than my opinion.

1. When i introduce MP into long runs i am going to try and move it about as opposed to just put it in second half of run and also maybe do some progression runs.

2. The end of your training cycle (i am not sure how close to race day it was) but unless i am reading it wrong, you really ramped things up doing 22/23 milers the whole way at nearly MP? I dont think i will go beyond 10-12 miles at MP at any point.

Re midweek- i am in a fortunate position in that i have an excess of annual leave so as of next week 2 of every 3 weeks ish i am going to take a day off work and do my long long run in the am. My hope until xmas is to maintain the rest of my current schedule ie long run sunday upto 12 miles, tempo, track session and 1-2 easy runs.

Once that luxury is over i think I will be doing my big run on the weekend and then a 10-12 miler midweek.  

• Hi, the 23m was at the end of wk13 so 3 weeks before, i then did 15 pretty much at MP and then 10 then the following Sunday. 

I am sensing a common theme from the feedback that i may be trying to hard and taking too much out of myself. Even if i feel great the clock never lies!

Interestingly enough i thought i suffered before London earlier in the year from not doing enough long runs at pace! i did 4-5 20's with a 23 the same length of time away from race day but the quickest one was done at probably 7:30 pace. That was partialy due to the crappy weather though. There was also no long mid week run, and i missed out on a sub 3 by 99 seconds. 

I feel i am getting a good measure of quality and quantitiy. Good shout regarding mixing the MP segments of the long runs.......... tbh the gear change from 10 x 8min miling to 10 x 6:45min miling felt like you were sprinting!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well as I have said I have read around the topic but never trained for one, however weeks 13 and 14, whilst you might not have directly felt it, must have taken a lot out of you.

Yeah, i can imagine just turning a corner and upping your pace by that amount would be noticeable, hence why i think progrression runs would help, or planning the run so that you turn on MP just off a downhil-flat section so that the legs are already turning over nicely.

• Progression runs could be the future! Which Marathon are you looking at? 

• Returning back to the original post, I would try loosely basing a plan on P&D with January base building on 4 weekday runs of around 8 to 10 miles building one mid week   run up to 15 with an LSR of between 15 and 22 miles. February adding speed work into Tuesday and either Thursday or Fridays sessions. March adding mp sessions into LSR's. April taper time and recover.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Jason-I have a place in London next year.

• Great stuff, me too. You'll have a great day, its everything you would expect.
  • As i started following the thread last year i thought i would update those who came forward with some advice. Sunday at the VLM did 2:58:05, (239th V40). Passed 198 in the last 7.2k and only 9 passed me! With demons fully exorcised and a fast for age entry in the bank how realistic is a sub 2hrs 50???

PS. DT19, how did you get on?

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

does the Sub 3 thing come from anywhere in particular?

I mean boston qualification, London GFA etc tends to be 3:05, 3:15 etc for most blokes, and you need 2:45 for a championship start.

What does 3:00:00 correspond to other than a round number?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

It used to be the fastest GFA requirement for London before they went all soft.  image  Now it's just a good old round number.  A bit like a 10 second 100 metres, but more achievable.