IT Help

how do I set up a computer to receive broadband if my computer. Hasn't got a wireless connection?


  • Cable from your router/modem straight into the back of the computer ?
  • LC was hoping to use it as wireless connection rather than plug in think I may have to set network connection but it's all geek to me !
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

    You need to acquire a wifi dongle - your local PC World is a good place to start. It's a doohickey that plugs into a USB port on your pooter.

    Alternatively, if you already have a router you could use powerline adapters.

  • Powerline adapters what's one of them thinghys
  • If you are using a pc you can either buy a wifi pci card or a usb wifi dongle. If you have a laptop the chances are you already have wifi built in (or you will need to buy a usb wifi dongle). Your router/cable modem should have come with a setup cd which you can use to setup and configure your wireless network if it is not already turned on. To reconfigure your router/modem you will need to connect your pc/laptop with an ethernet cable. Your router/modem password if you haven't changed it will probably be in the manual or on the bottom of the device.






  • I have an external dongle on mine, but can't say it's very reliable.  I've tried a couple of them and internet connection keeps dropping out.  I know it's not the modem or router because the laptops in the house don't have the same problem so i'm thinking about powerline adapters.

  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

    Hello LWJ ... long time no see image

    I bought a cheapo powerline set from eBuyer a year or so back because of the same wifi dropouts. Works like a charm, no software to install, just plug in and go. Recommended for desktop PCs, probably a pain for laptops.

  • Hi Muttley, hope you're keeping well.

    I'm going to have a serious look at getting something like that.  Connection is driving me nuts at the moment.

  • Fingers crossed seem to be up and running !

  • Turn it off and turn it on again, this is the advice I always get from the "Experts"

Sign In or Register to comment.