Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Hillheader! Don't give up!! I have fancied he WHW for years and am somewhat jealous (mildly put). Gawd, injuries are a misery.

• MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

Mankind, I've not run either half before but I have decided to run the Musselburgh Festival 10k on July 20th rather than the GER.  It's only £13.  But then it is Musselburgh again!

Also entered the Great Scottish Run in Glasgow on 6th October as my half.  Not quite "in the area" but only 45 minutes by train from Edinburgh.

• This was posted by someone on the Facebook page which has a full results list, although no age gradings or anything.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en&key=0AlFEZhdZYTu0dEVNaUFtQkVrOG9yakROZmRTamtrMnc&output=html

• Good attitude E'emma - enter a race and be positive. Sorry that your are struggling with your foot though. I've wondered about doing the Wall. Sounds like a great route. This will (hopefully??) be third WHW for me. Wonderful race, full of nutters, amazing support teams, great scenery and a much covetted crystal goblet!

Running can be a struggle, but not running is misery! 

Well done Miggito on the 3:58. Great effort.

Speaking of farm smells; there was one point on the marathon, going past some houses (Prestonpans?)  that someone was cooking bacon. I was nearly sick!

• Hi marathon 

the link does not seem to work and there seems to be several Facebook pages?

which one is it on?

cheers!

• Hi Jon,

Thats odd, works fine for me. I've reuploaded it to my dropbox account though for anyone that can't access it, let me know if that doesn't work either!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86673766/EdinburghMarathon2013.xlsx

Cheers,

• Nice one marathon... that's great... looks like that is all we are getting, a lot of people very disappointed ... People want to see their age groups...????

thanks again....

• No problem, I didnt do much of the work for it! Glad it worked for you. It is a shame, always nice to see how you did in relation to your group but not sure why they seem to hide them. Also odd that there only seems to be just over 8000 finishers when it says in the press around 16000 runners? Or why the top 3 runners are listed as over 60!

I've added a chart to the spreadsheet out of curiosity, a lot of people clearly pushed to get under that 4 hour mark!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyij1whxv99dsum/Edinburgh%20marathon.png?m

(Not sure if image is working, https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyij1whxv99dsum/Edinburgh%20marathon.png if not)

• That spreadsheet and graph are brilliant, thank you Marathon!

Congrats to everyone who finished, and achieved their goals - it was a lovely day for it.

2nd marathon for me and nice to finish in working order! (pulled calf at mile 14 in my first one - hobbling through the rest of the course wasn't much fun).  I was aiming for a 2:56 this time round, so happy to finish in 2:56:42.

Never been so sore / tired as I was on Monday!  Hoping to feel sprightly enough to go and enjoy Parkrun on Saturday morning.

• ElliotWorthElliotWorth ✭✭✭

Well done everyone; I'm one who was dissapointed and found it tough - legs gave way after 18 and had to resort to run/walk from 20-25, first time ever in this my 7th marathon! Managed to keep running for the last mile as the support picked up and did 3:44, 20 minutes outside my target, with a huge positive split! Can't put my figure on what went wrong, maybe too much sight-seeing the day before, but I think I have to put it down to a bad day on tired legs from many months of training. On a better day I can see the PB potential in that course but not sure I will be returning to Edinburgh.

Thought it was largely well organised apart from that crazy long walk to the shuttle bus. Very nice chunky medal and I do like the tech t-shirt. Goody bag was spot on, with not too much garbage to carry around with you.

• Marathon thanks for the spread sheet!! Very interesting.

Elliot- sorry you had a bad day. Hope the sight seeing gave you some nice memories..

I saw many people struggling, for me the heat was a big thing, and I was really pleased I had taken 4 of those high strength electrolyte tabs with me as I could taste the salt from my sweat and I would have totally collapsed near the end if I hadn't. I realise that if I ever do a marathon again I couldn't run it if it was more than 15 degrees...I'm not built for running in the warmth..

Anyone else got any marathon goals for the autumn???

• Gary AnnettGary Annett ✭✭✭
    Cbo

My wife asked me how my first marathon went and asked me if i'd ever do nother when we were sitting down having a picnic in the runners village.

I cannot repeat what I said on hear without being banned.

But a few days later and guess what?

I'm looking at doing the Wolverhampton Marathon in September so I can beat my Edinburgh time by at least 30 minutes...

Then HOPEFULLY I will get a congratulations magazine in October for London.

Are you thinking?

Elliot

Well done you. Fantastic time even if you struggled the last few.
  • Haha - I have exactly the same thing going on. Unfortunately, my overiding memory of the whole race is how hard the last 8 miles were and I was in no mood to ever be inolved in putting myselt through it again...

48 hours later and I find myself on the website of the Robin Hood Marathon.

My experience on the day sounds very similar to Elliot's above. The main difference being that it was my first marathon, but based on my long training runs and my HM time I was aiming for a 3:40 finish. I ended up finishing in 4:00:31. I know I should be pretty pleased with that, but I was bang on pace up to 30km, and I just felt deflated at the end by how much the last 8 miles defeated me. Fortunately I managed to keep running the whole way and it was a good job I did, as the moment I crossed the line and stopped moving, my entire body cramped up. I think perhaps, that's why I now have an urge to take part in another, so that I can actually try and change a few things and come away with a more positive experience.

• ElliotWorthElliotWorth ✭✭✭

Thanks guys; it was warm though not much different from London in April which I cruised around (was using it as a training run for EMF) and was only 4 minutes slower, amazing how 2 marathon experiences can be so different!! Mind you, I took a camelbak back with Electrolyte in that race and didn't for this one, perhaps that was also a factor to think about. My Heart Rate was a fair bit higher than usual which suggested pre-existing fatigue.

No matter how many marathons you do they still surprise (and challenge) you, you think you have worked out how to run them and then you have a bad one, and question how you ever did your PB! That's what makes them so tough but also addictive! I was also looking for the next marathon to do, but I have an Ultra in August so have to get through that first. image

@Cbo - yes, enjoyed the city and also got engaged in the shadow of Arthur's Seat the evening of the marathon so the bad running experience soon become secondary! image

cheers!

• Huge congratulations Elliot!! image

• Well done Elliot. Brill

Totally agree about frustration, PBs and addictiveness!

What race in August?

• Thank you all for your input into this forum. Although I've not contributed much it touches me to see so much shared pain and gain, and has been fascinating to see that my first marathon experience is so similar to many! (Great training, inexplicable underperformance to expectation on the day!)

Really enjoyed all your company and wish you well with future race plans. Me, I have a growing urge to get in the marathon game again soon now that I have experienced the pain of the last 5m.  My next strategy will be to try and keep a consistent pace over hanging on grimly! 

• Elliott Congratulations!!! You most definatly need to return now!!

Gary well done on your first marathon. I swore blind to my hubby I would NEVER do another one..what I have learnt in life is whatever I say my behavioural intention is a clearer indication is actually what I am googling!!!.less that 48hrs later my history was full of all sorts of marathons ( in teh autumn as well). However, I think I'll try a half again and work on speed..

Sambo36 My family kept saying 'whay are you nervous, you've done one before'..in that respect its a bit like labour!! Yes I've done it and know what awaits me.....though the pain for the last 6 miles wasn't as acute as last years so maybe that improves?

I am also a running fan ( spent way more years loving sport than doing it). Some of you know the guy Japhet who is a friend of the author of 'running with the kenyans' ( GREAT BOOK)..well I read the follow up article in the guardian yesterday and low and behold I'm standing in the background ( blue top black leggings) husband and dad standing by the tree image...I was actually trying to see if I could sneek into the elites toilets at the time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2013/may/29/japhet-koech-edinburgh-marathon-adventure

• Gary AnnettGary Annett ✭✭✭
    Wow.......Get you Cbo.

Can I have your autograph?

Looks like the other runner behind Japhet is going to play a game called "Slapping you mate around the ears whilst their not looking".

Well done you.image
  • Cbo - wow - famous. In with the elites. It is great to see the elites heading the other direction (many miles ahead).

Great to see so many people going for their next marathon. Assuming I can recover, after WHW I've the Speyside way in August, then in Autumn I've Amsterdam and San Antonio marathons (both based on travel with work). I would really like to get an entry to Boston next year....

• My t-shirt from this year has been taunting me... it says 'half' on the back. (Because I ran the half, not because they gave me the wrong one!)

I feel inadequate and like I only went for half a run. image I've had to enter the full marathon for next year just to get the medal and tshirt that dont say 'half'. Feeling a little intimidated at the moment but I've got a year to prepare!

• You can certainly tell the human body isn't really designed for running 26.2 miles by some of these statistics. If theres any others you'd like to see, let me know and I'll see what I can do. (Cant do any age related ones annoyingly unless Edinburgh release more info)

Total negative splits 323. Largest - 27 Minutes 48 Seconds. Average - 3 Minutes 34 Seconds 

Total Positive Splits 7746. Largest 2 Hours 52 Mins 42 Sec. Average - 21 Mins 09 Sec

Average Split +20 Mins 9 Seconds.

• Gary and Hillheader I actually got a picture of him with my phone looking at me as I was mouthing the words "good luck"...husband well and truly super embarrased by stalking wife image..Not sure how I can or even if possible to upload it...

Superslow-it is well worth the step up, though I don't think anyone can call a half half a run...I was aware how tired I felt at the half way stage!!!

Marathon -I love stats, thanks for that- Very interesting..Clearly the poor sole who had a 2hr 52 positive split was injured...that takes some determination to still finish-amazing...

Hillheader have you done Amsterdam before?? I like the thought of running in an olympic stadium ( a fact I found out about whilst doing my googling-in between signing autographs today. 

• Wow what an unforgettable experience.

My first marathon at the age of 53 and was totally bowled over by the whole event.

My goal was to break the 4hrs holy grail and came in at 3hrs 52 10 secs.

Cramp in my right calf for the last 4 miles slowed me down but the phenomenal crowds kept me moving.

Having been a contributor on this forum for a few months thanks for all your support, advice and good wishes. Hope most of you realised your dreams and those that didn't, train harder, and believe, because anything is possible.  

As for me, I'm already thinking seriously about doing it all over again in Edinburgh in 2014.

In the meantime it's Chester in October to banish those post-marathon blues. I must be well and truly bitten by this silly bug and that's from someone who hated running for most of his life.

See you all again soon folks. 

• Superslow...you are in the same position I was in last year. I did the half and did quite well, or better than I expected anyway and I accomplished something that 5 months earlier when I entered wasn't sure I could do. But I felt at the finish line like I couldn't be too happy because I knew that just as I was finishing, back at the start line the marathon runners were just setting. It was like...unfinished business. Good luck with your training.

Matharon?...very interesting analysis. Can you show the spread of finishing times for people with a negative split? I assume the majortiy of them would be quick overall times but would be interested to know.

Went out for my first run on Tuesday. Just a 5 miler to stretch my legs but had still almost nothing in the tank. Went for 7 miles tonight and seem to be back to almost 100% again. But it was so nice just to go out running without the 'pressure' of knowing I have a marathon coming up. It was fun. I really feel like I loving running at the moment. Spent months and months training for Sunday and now it's already 4 days ago. Can't wait for the GER now.

• Yes, they must have been, amazed that they managed to finish in that much trouble. I had a positive split of around an hour at London a couple of years ago and that was painful enough.

Mankinduk, yes, that'd be interesting and easy enough to do. Away from my computer till Monday now but I'll create a couple of charts like the overall obs then

Impressed some of you have started running so early, couldn't even walk down stairs normally until yesterday!

• Well done on finishing to the person with a positive split of 2 hours 52 mins. I thought I had a bad day!

I had a positive split of 57 mins - though I was feeling ill from around 6.5 miles so my first half was slower than usual as well. I started vomitting from 14.5 miles, and from then on every time I ran any distance I was sick again (threw up 5 times in total) so I decided to just keep walking.

I had a PB of 5.19, had done more miles and more long runs than ever before and was secretly hoping for sub 5, but the wheels well and truly came off and I walked in at 6.17.

My only consolation is that I kept going and although I was upset during the race, I had so long to think about things as I was trying to finish, I was reconciled with my horredous run by the time I did actuallly finish and I already feel ready to move on!

I passed several people with bad injuries - some bleeding and covered in space blankets so I can only think the person who had the worst positive split was one of them. I have great admiration for them, whoever they are! image

• Little Miss Blister I have great admiration for you!!! A marathon is a long long event when things aren't going to plan. It is always a shame that there is no medal for all the training hrs logged :0...

It is stories like yours that I find inspirational. 

When I was struggling I came up to 2 females one looked like paula radcliff ( wasn't) and she was pacing her sister ( 1st marathon). The runner is a 3hr marathon runner who does 4 a year and when the sister at 20 miles said "right I have never run further than this" ( she was struggling mentally) the sister said "I have NEVER run for as long as this", in a different way she too was finding it challenging. 

Well done on getting to the finish!!

• Well done LMB - good determination. You'll recover and get back to better times. Keep at it.

I had a short hill walk today and felt OK - beautiful evening. Won't run till mid next week. Now waiting for an overnight flight with glass of wine in hand.

Cbo - did Amsterdam last year (and 55 minutes faster than this year's Edinburgh!). Well organised and flat (though I heard several people complaining of the "hills" - bridges over canals! Doesn't really take in the sights of Amsterdam though and similar to Edinburgh quite industrial in parts. Stadium start and finish is great. No relays and half marathon starts after the full finishes! 

• Just entered next year. That Early Bird offer only lasting a week is tantamount to blackmail...!