Options

The A20 Path 'n Downs Marathon and Half Marathon

just 5 weeks to go now before the 2nd edition of the path n ' downs marathon and half , entries are building slowly but surely , many are from last years entrants who valued the scenic and sometimes demanding route and also the fantastic HQ facilities at the mercure hotel which you dont get at most other races of this sizeand which invariably cost a whole lot more . We limit the entries to just 250 for each race which means the country lanes and paths wont be overcrowded but you should get company for most of the route .The weather for last year was exceptional , with sunshine and 16o for most of the day , cant guarantee it again for this year but you never know.....

Virtually all of the feedback from last year praised the organisation , the marshalls and the feed stations , thatrs because we are professional in our approach to the whole event and understand how to look after our competitors , you wont be disappointed this year either .just to sum up , if you need closed roads , hundreds of runners around you and hordes of cheering spectators this event is not for you , however , if you like something different and want to be well supported come and join us !

Comments

• Options
    Multisport - hope you get weather like today.

I did the first 2 PathnDown races the 17.3 and 21 mile race that were held in July. Can confirm the hotel is the perfect race HQ. The hills are killers thou.
  • Options
    Held in March/April not July
  • Options

I've entered the half marathon. I was wondering if there is any info on the course like a hill profile anywhere, just so I know what I'm in for image

Looking forward to it!

• Options

Hi Sharon , the one climb - Steede Hill - is about 800mts and gradient is 12% average , its a tester but you do get to come down the Lenham Road a few miles later ...

Tracey G - are you camping this year ?

• Options

Thanks for the reply Multisport, 800 metres definately sounds challenging, but like you said what goes up comes down image

• Options

Sorry for being a pest but I have another question, is the finish a different place from the start line for the half? Maybe its Friday tiredness, but by the look of the map it might be and I just wanted to check so I can tell my friends where to pick me up from.

• Options
    I'm not doing this event have got a injured foot image

I got up that hill with out walking the first year. But you do get to run down the other hill Sharon image
  • Options

Sorry you are injured Tracey G.

I seem to have an attraction to hills as I just done a hilly 20miler on the South Downs last weekend, some of which I HAD to walk up. If possible I'd like to run up the hills on this event, but 800m in one hill, well that might be doubtful image.

• Options

Hi Sharon , start and finish for both races are the same , just across the road from the HQ .

• Options

Thanks Multisports, a long day at the office on Friday frazzled my brain.

• Options

Multisport, would you recommend trail shoes or road shoes for the course? Also, and I promise this is my last question, can you tell me the opening and closing times for registration and picking my number and chip please?

Thanks
    Sharon 

• Options

I would be interested to know how the terrain compares with Beachy Head, the Steyning Stinger and the South Downs marathons or is it more like Farnham, Clarendon or Salisbury?

• Options

the hotel is open from 7am for registration , as its chip timing there is no closing time for late pick up  , you will only need normal road shoes as its all on Tarmac .hopefully someone who ran last year will answer the course comparison question .

• Options

It's described as multiterrain, so I'm surprised it's all on tarmac! Is it therefore a trail marathon a la Beachy or a - hilly - road marathon a la East Sussex or neither?

• Options

I ran it last year and it was on tarmac or dirt paths on the side of the road all the way, road trainers would be fine, defo no need for trail trainers.

Hill wise, there is a real bugger after 3 miles and a couple of nasty up flats along the course, but there is ample flat and some great scenery. Not like Beachy, but it is a challenging course all the same.

Goo feed stations too. weather was a real bonus last year felt like a summer day tbh.

enjoy all, reckon i'll be bakc for this one next year.

• Options

I've had a look at the route and I wonder why the organisers don't use the North Downs Way and Pilgrims Way rather than the A20! However, although I don't like road marathons, I might give it a go.

• Options

I'm looking forward to it,  even though I'm being a wimp and just doing the half. After running a race on the South Downs a few weeks ago, I'm curious to see how the North Downs compare, though I don't know the area and I'm presuming by the name that the route takes on some of the North Downs. I mapped Stede Hill out, which is supposed to be the steepest hill, just to get an idea of the elevation, mapmyrun says its just over 300ft, not metres, I hope mapmyrun is right as 800metres is around 2,500ft and thats a big difference. I guess I best be prepared for anything image

• Options

800mts was the length - not the elevation ! try this link = http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/150019313

SDM - its difficult to mix the surfaces on any race , one minute you are on mud and need spikes - next you are on tarmac for several miles and your spikes are redundant ! The " multiterrain" description is from runners World because as soon as you mix paths and roads that is how the system evaluates it . Most of our roads are better described as lanes with very little traffic to worry about but as we dont want anyone running down the A20 that is when the Paths come into their own .

• Options

Thanks for the link Multisport. See you on the 18th!

• Options
    Looking forward to the marathon. Have ran South Downs, Steyning Stinger & Beachy Head this year. Will be nice to run something a bit easier, lol
  • Options

Can definitely recommend this race - ran the marathon last year & enjoyed it - good challenging course, excellent race HQ and good feed stations en-route. Had hoped to return again this year & do the half but have only just recovered from injury, so unfortunately sitting it out this year.

If Multisport is reading this though, I was hoping to do the 'End of 2012' run in Mid Kent - have looked at the event information & wondered if you had a link to the course? (not sure if I'll do the long or short option yet). Thanks & keep up the good work image

• Options

I am also looking forward to this marathon. Are you allowed to wear Ipod's in this race?

• Options

i have no hard n fast rules on ipods or any other music on the move for pure running races , i know that some races are now banning them on safety grounds as you may not to be able to hear traffic creeping up on you or that marshall shout "watch out for ***********" , its up to the individual to make sure they are still aware of what is going on around them .LTS-- we shall have a "map my run " link on the site soon - hope you recover ok .I rode the marathon course on Sunday (on my MTB ) and the heavy rain had left its mark in places with standing water and debris but its all still good for running .

• Options

Just signed up. It'll be my first attempt at two marathons three weeks apart, having just done Snowdon end of last month. Oh well, we'll see.

• Options

Can anyone tell me do we pick up our number & timing chip from thr hotel on the day?

Do i need to bring any proof of entry?

• Options

I spoke with the organisers, and apparently the HQ (Hotel) is open from 7am to pick up numbers etc. I'll bring my ID, in case there is any query.

• Options

Does anyone know if friends and family can use the hotel pool and facilities after the race (even if they have to pay a suppliment to the hotel)?

Joe - I completed Beachy Head about 3 weeks ago and Chester Marathon 3 weeks before that so I know how you must be feeling!  I'm really hoping the track is undulating rather than hilly or I won't be posting an amazing time!

• Options

I never do amazing times, and will be aiming for.....................a finish!

• Options

My first marathon also, I'll be wearing an L Plate. I'm just aiming to finish in one piece.

• Options

A. Runner, your first marathon is always going to be so special, good luck for Sunday and I hope you really have a great day.