HRM training - Don Fink

2»

Comments

• Errrr z2 is your aerobic zone.....

Z3 is tempo. you can hold this for an hour but its a real effort

Z4 is hard theshold efforts(aka vo2 max stuff) its hurting....

Z5 is omfg interval efforts.

And z1 is recovery.....

For me (from memory)

Z1 - 135

Z2 136 - 145 aka Maf/ z2 IM training/ long runs....

Z3 145 - 155

Z4 155 - 165

Z5 166-180
  • Also found this blig entry i did a while ago.... 2009

Been reading Gordos thoughts on aerobic threshold training zones - ie heart rates I should be running / biking at.

I find I need some guidance on this else I just go for it and fry myself in 40 mins. This is cool for bike commutes but not very good for a 4 hr ride.......??

Aet - top of zone 1 - 135-139 for running, 127-129 for biking??

Easy Pace ??? defined as less than AeT - less than 139/129.??

There are ???degrees of easy???. Well under AeT is recovery pace and also used for early season base building. I???ve found that slightly under AeT is a good pace for my novice and weaker athletes to build endurance. It???s also a suitable intensity for my stronger athletes to do long over-distance workouts.??

Steady Pace ??? defined as AeT to AeT+10 bpm - 135 - 145....(139-149). (129- 139 for biking (-144 feels ok though.....)??

My prime endurance objective is to maximize tolerance of (and pace for) steady state training. With my weaker athletes, I use upper steady (AeT+5 bpm to AeT+10 bpm) for their sport specific strength work. With my stronger athletes, we use upper steady for intensive aerobic training (done in low steady for my novices and weaker athletes).??

Endurance Target HRs - 145-149.... for running, 137-142 approx for biking.....??

Mod-Hard Pace ??? known by many as Tempo Pace (Friel Zn 3). Defined as AeT+10bpm to AeT+20 bpm.

This zone is typically marked by labored, rhythmic breathing and a novice can mistake this sensation for the AeT subjective marker. With my weaker and novice athletes, I use very little of this zone. While there are physiological benefits to this intensity zone, I???ve found that the time lost due to recovery and illness ends up making its use counterproductive. My stronger athletes use this zone for sport specific strength work and muscular endurance training.
  • Errrr z2 is your aerobic zone.....

Z3 is tempo. you can hold this for an hour but its a real effort

Z4 is hard theshold efforts(aka vo2 max stuff) its hurting....

Z5 is omfg interval efforts.

And z1 is recovery.....

For me (from memory)

Z1 - 135

Z2 136 - 145 aka Maf/ z2 IM training/ long runs....

Z3 145 - 155

Z4 155 - 165

Z5 166-180
  • Run Wales - what you say would seem to make sense, but you have to consider what your goal is - if you are looking to complete a marathon, then yes you will be fine with that approach. But if you're looking at IM it is important to work within Z2 . One of the key factors is the energy source your muscles will be using. If you keep in the aerobic zone, you use both glyogen and fat as energy - in varying amount. By training in this zone, you 'teach' your body to utilise more fat than it would normally - which is essential for IM (not so much for marathons as you're only working for 3 hours or so) as you will run out of glycogen rapidly.