It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
So a brief history of me,
Im now 34 started to train for the Belfast marathon in 2010/2011, I started from only doing a bit of walking and training went well.
Sept and Oct built up to be mainly 2.5 - 4 Mile runs with a long slow Sunday run of 7 – 8 miles.
During Nov I was on hols so missed most of this month
Over the winter I joined a gym and used their treadmill for Dec, Jan. I was doing the same routine and miles but knew that treadmill was easier than road running.
I also got a personal trainer an hour a week in Jan/Feb to help work my core.
When I got back on the road in Feb I surprised myself with what I could do, my weekday runs were getting faster and during Feb – Mar I managed 11, 13.3 and 12.1 mile runs at good speeds, I was feeling good after each run and can even remember saying to my wife I think I’m going to be able to do this!!!. ( I managed to find my post saying about it on here http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/beginners/just-ran-my-first-half-marathon-distance/171893.html
My next run after my 12 miler I got a few miles in and one of my knees started to hurt and I had to abandon the run half way in. I rested a few days then tried again and same problem. I then rested about 2 weeks and again about the 2 – 3 mile mark knee started hurting.
At this stage I pulled out of the marathon as I was now too far behind and I didn’t want to cause further injury. Since I was pulling out I felt down and just gave up so never seen a doc about it. Even now i can’t even remember what knee it was and if the pain was inside the knee or at the sides etc. However it did only hurt during the run and maybe a few hours after.
Over the last year or so I have lost 90% of my fitness but go out for a short run/walk every now and again. Sometimes I get niggles in my knees but I don’t know if it is just my imagination looking for the problem or if it’s just normal hard work pains.
2 Weeks ago I bought a treadmill and have been really enjoying running on that again. I’m up to 3 miles and not a single pain in my knee (I also can’t remember getting any pains when on the gyms treadmill). Also I have a TV positioned in front of me and the room is separate from the house so I’m not going to disturb anyone, so I could run for a long time etc.
So I guess I’m thinking is it possible to do, let’s say 85% training on a treadmill then the other 15% on the road, just so I can save my knees? I would still love to get 1 marathon done in my life time and I really do love the feeling of being fit, but I guess I’m just scared of doing long term damage.