Open Water Swimming

Comments

• Saturday morning: Cotswold 32, Bristol OW, or a local river?
    (I still fancy going in at the Fleet Inn, Twyning, R.Avon. off M50 J1)

Who's up for it?

(I'd have to cadge guest status for Lake 32, or pay full whack).

• Soup DragonSoup Dragon ✭✭✭

I didn't go to Taplow Wednesday cos of transport issues - glad I didn't cos the lake is now 14 degrees. Too chilly for me, defeats the object if its too cold for me to swim cos I can't breathe and got asthma last time I went in too cold water.  Flippin weather. image

• OK, I intend to swim at Cotswold Lake 32 tomorrow morning (early).

Anyone else?

• I hope you enjoyed it EP, I got up at 6 to go but full of the snots and after walkng around the house and getting out of breath I decided bed was the more sensible option. Very jealous because I love swimming! Not that I am any good mind. When it is this cold takes me 10 mins to dareto put my face in! What was the temp like? Hope you feel more confident now.

I'm thinking of braving a dip tomorrow. Enduroman half coming up and I need to have done an ow swim before then. 

11.3! Crikey, it makes 14 sound positively tropical. image

• Lake 32 was reportedly 14.6 degrees. Only if they stuck the thermometer up a duck's arse it was. Unlike last Thursday's swim (different lake) I got colder as the swim progressed. That was apparently 12 degrees and was comparitively tropical. Still, it was good fun, even if I was the slowest there.

BTW, 2 people were swimming without wetsuits. Only one of them had natural insulation.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I'm up to just over an hour without a wetsuit at the moment, but I need to up my game.  Next weekend I intend to have a go at 6 hours.  Swimming for 6 hours shouldn't be a problem, but I'm not feeling too confident about the cold

• caz.the water is colder than normal so that isn't helping........

I'm heading for my first river swim this year in the morning........

• The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

I saw 1 chap who must have been mid-late 60s get out before I got in on Saturday in the tiniest speedos ...he'd been in 1hr image I got out after 36mins with wetsuit, 2 hats, gloves and sox and I was frozen + I have natural insulation!!

The temperature of the water currently means any man would only need teeny, tiny speedos. image

• Anybody know what the temperature os like at Outlaw venue in Nottingham at the moment or don't I want to knowimage

• EP - it takes me about 20 minutes to put my wetsuit on and last time I still didn't get it right on the shoulders. Its all down to practice, I think (or maybe a bigger wetsuit???)

Am I right in thinking you can touch the bottom at Outlaw?

• EP.........take you time with the wetsuit.and lots of bodyglide and i use loads of asdas own Ky jelly.......bit embarressing when you buy a pile in asdas in one go

• Seren, do you buy the strawberry flavoured version?

Oh yes, I remember. I accidentally discovered a tip for putting on the wetsuit. Forget the plastic bag on the feet. Use ordinary sport socks. They are just the right size!

• In the BlueIn the Blue ✭✭✭
    Southern Snail wrote (see)

In the Blue - Did you get to Thorpe? Looked out for you but didnt see any pirates! Water wasn't too bad. Damn cold when you got out thoughimage

The person I was going with forgot his wetsuit so we ended up in a pool instead.  But I am there tonight with one new OW person and one with only one session.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I'm off to the river again tonight.  With the air temperature so much warmer I'm hoping I can stay in a bit longer than an hour

• In the BlueIn the Blue ✭✭✭

That was a lovely swim, 12 degrees in the lake and a dubious 400m loop which when measured with a garmin seems to be 500m.  Wish they had the 1500m loop open though.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

About 2 miles done in about 1 hr 15 min including faffage time.  Water temperature was 14 degrees.  I would have liked to have stayed in for longer but it was beginning to get dark

• EP are you heading to Market Bosworth tomorrow eve? My plan is to head there for 6.30 ish with husband and sis. Hopefully it will go to plan and we actually get there!

• What's tomorrow's plan?

• Market Bosworth 9 degrees this morning! We wimped out and are  headed off to the coast... think the sea will be warmer. Doesnt bode well for the tri next weekend though!

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Erm, Ellie, the sea generally takes longer to warm up than inland waters, so good luck with that.

I'm off to the Nene again in a bit.  Another opportunity to embarass the locals by stripping off in a pub car parkimage

• Yay Caz!

Ellie, a wise choice.

I stripped at 7 degrees lakeside and did 2250m but emerged in a state of hypothermia. the lake was apparently 14. I'm going to need a flask of coffee in T1 in order to survive. Seriously. Really, I'm not joking. After I survived, we did a 20 mile bike ride (I wore 3 layers) and eventually got to a decent enough mean temperature.

J.C. We're picking strawberries. Why is the lake so freaking icy?