Options

Hadrian's Wall 2013

Comments

• Options

I really like the idea of this but I'm doing my first ultra at the Dartmoor Discovery on June 1st so it would be mad to go for twice the distance only 3 weeks later. I'm also thinking about the Royal Parks ultra in October but I'd better leave The Wall until the year after.

• Options
    Hi invisible man .. Was going to do the royal parks ultra this year but raising ??750 put me off but looks like a good run.
  • Options

Looking back, there doesn't seem to be many taking the one day option, is there anybody else doing it?

• Options

Sleepy Bear, Marcus - good idea about the camera, hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a go with the one on my phone. As long as it's not raining on the day.

EKGO - I've found a mapmyrun version of the route. Not sure how much it'll change this year. Not much I guess. Go to

http://www.mapmyrun.com/workout/120746581

Invisible Man - you could enter this and treat the Dartmoor Discovery as your last long run before your taper. image

Speaking of tapers, I've accidentally entered the Great North Swim the weekend before the Hadrian's Wall run - oops.

Blakester - you doing one day or two?

• Options
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Sleepy Bear, Marcus - good idea about the camera, hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a go with the one on my phone. As long as it's not raining on the day.

EKGO - I've found a mapmyrun version of the route. Not sure how much it'll change this year. Not much I guess. Go to

http://www.mapmyrun.com/workout/120746581

Invisible Man - you could enter this and treat the Dartmoor Discovery as your last long run before your taper. image

Speaking of tapers, I've accidentally entered the Great North Swim the weekend before the Hadrian's Wall run - oops.

Blakester - you doing one day or two?

I wouldn't worry about the swim too much. A few of us have signed up to the RatRace 'Dirty Weekend' 20mi obsticle race mid-may! image

• Options
    Hi weedy .... Doing it in one day this time .. Looking forward to it...
  • Options

Just googled the Dirty Weekend. It sounds nuts!

Blakester - you do the two-dayer this year - any tips for us novices?

I'll start a list...

One day
    Amster and Mr Amster
    Blakester
    EKGO

Two days
    Marcus Nichols +2
    Pursued by Angry Bees
    Sleepy Bear +1
    Weedy

2014?
    Invisible Man
    Pammie

• Options

Good list Weedy - I do like a list.  My partner is forum-named oscarr.

Tips - they'd be good - have already picked up the 2nd pair of trainers for the 2nd day one (just in case it's another wet weekend - have put them on my chrimble list...

Weedy - no pressure on the photos (obviously) but if you get chance that'd be fab - I can print one out then and keep it on the fridge to keep me motivated when it's all yakky outside!

Dirty Weekend - yowsers - I have enough trouble running with the odd stile/gate/squeezy through thingy - never mind all the obstacles - that's just hardcore in my world! image

• Options
    Only list I like is to Santa .... The first day take it easy and stick to your race plan.the first 15 is on road & lanes good food at pit stops stock up the next 17 miles is the wall and a great run just don't go to mad. it was very very wet this year .. The camp site was ok bit didn't sleep the food wasn't to good take your own breaky,as in morning you got a burger van selling bacon rolls not the best to run 37 miles on.. We all went off together second day which was a buzz then my plan went out the window teamed up with another runner which I was going far to fast which made the last 17 mils hard ....just enjoy it ..
  • Options
    Sleepy Bear wrote (see)

Good list Weedy - I do like a list.  My partner is forum-named oscarr.

Tips - they'd be good - have already picked up the 2nd pair of trainers for the 2nd day one (just in case it's another wet weekend - have put them on my chrimble list...

Weedy - no pressure on the photos (obviously) but if you get chance that'd be fab - I can print one out then and keep it on the fridge to keep me motivated when it's all yakky outside!

Dirty Weekend - yowsers - I have enough trouble running with the odd stile/gate/squeezy through thingy - never mind all the obstacles - that's just hardcore in my world! image

LOL! We (stupidly) thought that the 'Dirty Weekend' would be a very good reason to incorporate core training into our workouts, so as least when we get to Carlise we'll hopefully be a very strong. I would have done the 13mi HALF MUCKER, but as my buddy pointed out it's the same price for the 20mi so no option really! image

• Options

I'm with Sleepy Bear on the endurance events front - running's hard enough without adding barbed wire and muddy tunnels.

Thanks Blakester - some good advice there. Didn't realise that's all you'd get for breakfast.

One day
    Amster and Mr Amster
    Blakester
    EKGO

Two days
    Marcus Nichols +2
    Oscarr
    Pursued by Angry Bees
    Sleepy Bear
    Weedy

2014?
    Invisible Man
    Pammie

• Options

On the shoe front, I'll be running in Vivobarefoot Neo Trails - thinking about packs at the moment, got an OMM Classic 25, which I reckon will fit the bill...

• Options

For shoes I used a trail with some cushioning for the first half, this time I'll be using Salomon XA, I changed into Asics Kayano for the afternoon and will be doing so again. One thing I would recommend, take plenty of socks, it was wet and will likely be a little wet in places again, for anyone doing the one day particularly you'll need a few changes to avoid blistering.

• Options

@pursuedbyangrybees I've been using a Salomon Skin Pro 10+3 in training runs for the last few months and hope to use this during the event. It's incredibly comfortable and does not bounce (only used at half capacity). I would highly recomend this pack, if you can get all the kit inside.

@EKGO I wear Kayano's as I have overpronation on my right foot, and although doing the 2 day, was still going to have spare shoes at the halfway point, so might have a look at those Salomon XA's. And yes I'd already planed on several spare pairs on socks in my pack. I might even throw a pair of SealSkins in just incase.

• Options
    For the pack I tried lots of different but ended up using a very basic pack I had bought a long time before from decathlon, the main reason was it carried a water balloon of over 1litre but you actually need so much more storage space for wet weather gear, first aid stuff and the emergency gear etc.
  • Options
    How's the training for the born to run EKGO .. What trainers did you use this year..
  • Options
    Training not going well at all, i'm aiming for 12in 12for the year, and I've recently done Loch Ness, Chester, Rutland water, and tomorrow I'll be doing Grizedale, so it's 4 marathons in 8 weeks but its just getting into the swing again, I had a three month lay-off after the Wall with hip injuries. I need to get the marathons out of the way and go back to 20 miles per week to build up to Liverbird marathon at new year then maybe Gloucester in Jan.

i ran Born to Run in Asics Kayano and found no problem the tracks are good condition throughout, definitely a road shoe
  • Options
    I'm doing Gloucester as well . Doing the Portsmouth to southsea marathon on the 23rd Dec.
  • Options

Tomorrow will be number 11 for me, and I have Portsmouth in reserve too, there are quite a few doing the 12 in 12 challenge and some are finishing off on that one, I'd like to join them but it depends on work commitments. I did Gloucester last year it was good, three laps with some before and after, they also run the 50k ultra same day

• Options

You're all making me feel lazy - not doing a marathon till Northumberland Coastal in March.

EKGO - good luck for Grizedale. Let us know how you get on. How did you end up doing 12 in 12?

Bees - how's the training going?

Packwise, I've got a Camelbak Ultra, where the 2 litre bladder goes horizontally around your lower back. Find it comfortable, although I had to sew all but one of the adjustable straps together as they kept slipping open as I ran. There's not a massive amount of space to carry stuff, but I reckon it should be big enough for the compulsory list and space for a few extras.

• Options

Ditto Weedy - feeling lazy here too -  I'm doing the Cape Wrath Mara as prep but not til May! Though I'll also count a 25 mile Walk For All (plan to walk/jog) we've entered in April I spose  that we'll do as part of a back to back training weekend.

@Marco - ahhh you fell for the old "logic" trick did you LOLOLOLOL

Fab tip about the socks - how many spare pairs to carry per day then - maybe 2 pairs "just in case"?

I have two OMM sacs to choose from - a 10L or a 25L - I'm only small so my waterproofs stuff down nicely and I've merrily run home from work in the past with all sorts including shoes stuffed in the 10L.  It has a separate water compartment so I may well see if I can get by with that if the weather's half decent - otherwise the 25L may come out to play - any thoughts on this plan?

• Options

Hi all,

Nice to see there are others out there crazy enough to do this race! I'm looking forward to it!

For training they have a plan on the ratrace website that I think I'll try to follow. I'll start in December as I'm moving house so will be cycling 50k to and from work then in Jan I'll start the ratrace plan and double up a week here or there to get there at the right time. Anyone else doing that plan? Hopefully it will be enough with the cross training.

Anyway, hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

Benjamin

• Options

Hi Benjamin - I haven't seen the Rat Race plan - I'll have to have a look at it. You doing it over one day or two days?

• Options

12 in 12 was not even in my mind, I did Liverbird last new years eve and went to Gloucester, I met several people there who were considering it and well, after that it just happened.

Getting stuff together this afternoon for Grizedale and don't feel a bit ready

• Options

This is it here: http://www.thewallrun.com/training.html. It looks quite good although I may try some higher mileage as the longest on it is a marathon so don't think mentally I would then be prepared for nearly three times that! I'm doing the one day. Fingers crossed I can avoid injury til then...

• Options
    I started after the xmas pud . And got up to 30 miles ..always do a long one sat and a shorter one sunday.. every 4 weeks build up then tapper down then build back up. The buzz will get you round... Try to do a few trail ones I like the grizzly which is a 20 mile slog .. Keep running
  • Options

Awesome blakester thanks for that! I've done the London Ultra in feb and a couple of the CTS ones before which is good prep mentally. I'll look into that Grizzly one too image

• Options
    Grizzly sold out in an hour but it is a great run.
  • Options

Yeah I just saw that. Maybe there'll be some people wanting to transfer and pull out closer to the time...

• Options

EKGO - Don't feel ready mentally or physically? Or both? Guess it's hard to keep the momentum up when you've done so many in so short a space of time. Maybe just aim to get round on this one, taking it easy and enjoying the sights along the way, then end with a bang on the next one? Even try running without a watch so you're not focusing on a pace or a time as the goal but just on enjoying the running in its own right?
    It's weird the way you get involved in stuff. I was sat in a pub with two friends one time and we'd had a beer or two and just decided to do the Great North Run. None of us were runners. A few years later and here I am entering marathons and ultras and all sorts.

Benjamin - the Northumberland one I'm doing in March is a CTS one. What are they like for organisation?

Maybe I'm over preparing. My longest weekend was going to be 26 on the Saturday and 15 on the Sunday.

One day
    Amster and Mr Amster
    Benjamin Kissel
    Blakester
    EKGO

Two days
    Marcus Nichols +2
    Oscarr
    Pursued by Angry Bees
    Sleepy Bear
    Weedy

2014?