Hadrian's Wall 2013

Comments

• Jaffa cakes are always good eh - mind you, everything seems to taste that little bit better when you really need it doesn't it!  Maybe I could have the best of both worlds and finally get round to trying those little jaffa cake cake bars that seem to have appeared... image

Anyone else got any favourites they recommend?

Hoping to get over to the Peaks over the Chrimble break and have a bimble about...

• Wine gums. They're my secret weapon. Pocket full of wine gums and I'm like the Duracell Bunny. Just a bit slower. If you pass someone on the wall run and you get offered a wine gum, that'll be me.

• Oooooh - I'll look forward to that then!  Think you'll probably have to start right at the back for me to get anywhere near you... Could you perhaps wear a neon head sign saying "Get your wine gums here" image

Strawberry cats from Tesco got me round my second LAMM - one at every control point - amazing how the promise of sugar gets you from A to B!

• Any of you guys running the Expert? Have you found a good training plan??

Alick

• Hi Alick. This your first ultra? And, more importantly, where do you stand on the subject of Jaffa Cakes?

You're in good company with the one-dayers.

One day
    Alick
    Amster and Mr Amster
    Benjamin Kissel
    Blakester
    Checkmate
    EKGO
    John MacKenzie
    Mr X
    Rockhopper Penguin

Two days
    Louise Hall
    Marcus Nichols +2
    Oscarr
    Pinkbug
    Pursued by Angry Bees +1
    RunningRaRa
    Sleepy Bear
    Weedy

• jaffa cakes are good..but i like jam sandwichs on my saturday runs and a few cubes of jelly .. i can see a list coming on weedy ???

you wont be alone alick theres a few mad ones doing it as well.

• Jaffa cakes are grand - was also thinking of experimenting with fig rolls, but a little worried they may have... side effects.

• Don't tempt me Blakester, I make lists at the drop of a hat. I've even got lists listing the lists I have to compile.

Anyone see the Panorama documentary on sports science a couple of months back? Had a brilliant bit with Graham Obree where he rubbished all the scientific mumbo-jumbo and explained his sports nutrition regime involved simply making jam sandwiches and eating them.

• Jam sandwiches rock!  I know when I'm close to bonking when I start fantasising about strawberry jam on toast!

Fig rolls - hmmm - yummy but... pre-sliced malt loaf can have the same effect if you eat too much!

Percy Pigs - yum and the elephants too but can't remember their names - Eric maybe!

Big fan of tangtastic crocodiles too!

• Love percy pigs, hate jaffa cakes!!!

• after the jaffa cakes weedy do you listen to music when running ? I like a bit of jam to oasis,Weller ,stone roses and cold play .
  • Listen to podcasts on LSRs and easy runs - Marathon Talk, Kermode and Mayo film show and a couple of others. Got music for races, intervals and tempo runs. Tried podcasts but just can't concentrate on them if I'm going at pace.

Don't ask what's on the playlist - it's mainly embarassingly awful pop, but the beat's the right tempo for my pace. There's a couple of Coldplay tracks tho - The Hardest Part (anyone who's read A Race Like No Other will know why), bit of Moby, Killers, Keane.

• That was a nightmare getting down Portsmouth today with this rain good luck to all runners tomorrow in the Portsmouth coastal waterside marathon of to get some pasta & pizza .....
  • Have a good one Blakester. Hope weather's okay for you.

• Cheers weedy . Its going to be a good one ...
  • Finally entered this morning.

That's me plus one doing the the one dayer. The person who i've managed to rope in doing the run with me does my sports massage.

Any proplems enroute will hopefully get sorted on the spot FOC. image

• You finally persuaded Mrs Gramck to let you enter.

Not a bad idea about running with your masseur. I'll mention it to mine next time I see her and see if she fancies it image I suspect not.

Did everyone have a good Christmas? Any interesting pressies? Got the Born to Run book.

One day
    Alick
    Amster and Mr Amster
    Benjamin Kissel
    Blakester
    Checkmate
    EKGO
    Gramck +1
    John MacKenzie
    Mr X
    Rockhopper Penguin

Two days
    Louise Hall
    Marcus Nichols +2
    Oscarr
    Pinkbug
    Pursued by Angry Bees +1
    RunningRaRa
    Sleepy Bear
    Weedy

• Weedy - that book is a great read, you will enjoy it.

• Weedy - yep, talked the missus around a few weeks ago. Only got my act together to enter yesterday though.

Looking forward to getting back in regular training mode. Just need to formulate. Y schedule now.

Off up to the Lakes tomorrow for a week and plan to tackle a few fells including Scafell Pike. Should be good fun barring any horrendous weather.
  • Nice flowery running kit from sweaty Betty and a book about marathons. Thanks hubby!

2x 8milers so far this week too with sats parkrun and a 10k on sun to look forward to. Training much easier when don't have to go to work,,,
  • Hey all,

Hope you all had great Christmases. I managed to get down to flooded Cornwall which was a right lark. Fun slipping round the mud on a walk though! Got Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner so was happy with that.

Blakester how did your race go?

• No real running presents (well, no real presents at all, we're mid-recession in our house, one job gone, one still hanging gamely on) but I counted my new Start Fitness thermal tights as the nearest I was going to get.

Impromptu half-marathon on Christmas Eve was my other present to myself... image

If I win on the lottery tonight, going to treat myself to an OMM Kamleika jacket, I reckon.

• Hi all, I'm new to all of this! 

I have just signed up for the wall! Doing the challenger, extremely nervous about it now ... took a lot to even sign up! Now time to start training, never ran more than a HM!!

Got a few adventure and trail races up and coming ... think I may need more now! 

• I'm sure you'll do well! Welcome! This forum's pretty good for bolstering some confidence image

• Bring on the New Year - hope everyone has had their fill of extra food and is now ready to begin burning it all off... less than 6 months to go until our joint adventure whoop whoop.

Let's face it - the weather in June can't be any worse than it is just now (something to look forward to...) image

• The weather last June was worse than this! it was flooded from the start, I'm doing it again on the assumption it couldn't possibly be like that twice, so I am anticipating an easier ride this time around.

• Hi Crash Bang Wallop. Welcome to the thread. Think you've already done the hard part - deciding to go for it and signing up. There's me and a few others here in the same boat as you - never done anything like this before. What races do you have coming up?

Hi Nick. Hang around and pick up some tips in case you fancy trying it next year.

Bees - good luck with tonight's lottery. Altho it must be my turn to win by now.

Less than six months to go Sleepy Bear? You're right. Eek

One day
    Alick
    Amster and Mr Amster
    Benjamin Kissel
    Blakester
    Checkmate
    EKGO
    Gramck +1
    John MacKenzie
    Mr X
    Rockhopper Penguin

Two days
    Crash Bang Wallop
    Louise Hall
    Marcus Nichols +2
    Oscarr
    Pinkbug
    Pursued by Angry Bees +1
    RunningRaRa
    Sleepy Bear
    Weedy

• Hi Weedy, thanks for the welcome! Have got 'The Beast' in Melton Mowbray and 'The Wolf ' in Leamington Spa booked in. Then probably a few local 10k/milers that will be booked days before!
    Are people getting a long race (Marathon) in before the impending race?

EKGO has made me a little nervous about the rain, few more pairs of socks will have to go in the bag then!