Longest Day (Ironman) 2004 - Carl's thread

Comments

• Sorry to muck you about Carl, got my dates mixed up. I am away from wed16th not the week after. So the weekend before would be o.k.
  • Cougie, how can you tell its been raining cats and dogs? You keep stepping in poodles!
  • Ah thats ok, the weekend before is fine. Thast swim on 11th and nike on 12th - are we doing full distnace for both? I dont mind, guess I would prefer it as will get to know the course intimatly and will be good final distance training.
  • we could do most of the course. It starts and finishes in different places so we would have to work out the best way to do it. When I went up before I stayed at the travel inn just along from the lake and we went from there doing most of the course except the first mile or so from the lake to the first turnaround roundabout. We finished at the stadium and cycled back to the travel inn after. The second time we parked at the stadium and cycled up to the course and joined it at the a5 a449 junction which is 5 or 6 miles into the course. I prefered the second as it gave the option of doing a run after. Still, we can worry about that nearer the time. There is a happy eater just after 40 mls and a garage about 80 so stops for nutrition shouldn't be a problem.
  • Ah that all sounds good especially the happy eater mmm Yum, do they do Icecream?

As far as Travel plans I was going to base myself at my moms (she lives near Coventry) but may be easier to use the Travel Lodge if its near, ill have a think.
  • I had better start training then.
  • Andy, can you text me your mobile number in case I get lost on Sunday.

Mine is 07762 257710
  • done it

there's an outside chance i might have to work, but i'll do all i can to dodge it

is your training partner still coming along?

it gets a bit complicated when you get to my village, and dont stop for directions or the natives might order you to squeal like a pig, or even worse they might comment on your purdy mouth

so the best thing is for you to go east from MK and then north up the a1... when it turns into the a1m give me a call... go as far as the A15 turn off (stilton & yaxley), and go right off the roundabout (towards yaxley)... straight after the roundabout there's a hotel layby; i'll see you there
  • Thanks Andy, dont worry about the work thing I know what its like, im still stuck here and should have been on the train by now. Had a shite day, no lunch or nothing.

Oh my mates not coming as he's got a family thing to do so its just me.

Let me know if you have to cancel (text or call me), otherwise ill be leaving about 7.00 and will text you when I leave & ring when I get near or lost. Your directions seem ok though.

• No sign of Andy on forum today, must be busy carbo loading and power sleeping ready for tomorrow. Off to bed now to try and store up something...

Maybe have 10 shredded wheat in morning.
  • He's probably bottled it.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    [pulls up comfy chair, and a big bag of Giant Smarties, and waits to hear how it went...]
  • Didn’t complete the planned 100mile ride / 10k run Brick but notched up a searingly quick (for me at least) 70 miles ave 17.1 mph.

From my point of view the ride went well, just hope Andy didn’t mind going a bit slower than normal though said it was fine.

Was $hitting myself at start when Mr Collier (who incidentally looks nothing like his forum photo) set off at break neck speed and left me about ½ mile behind in the first 5 minutes, then had the first of two punctures (yes that brings me up to a total of 7 in 800 miles). Puncture fitted and we were on our way again.

The course we rode was very nice and although flat was quite demanding especially on some particular straights where the distant corners took forever to reach. Got used to that after a while and it was just a case of getting my head down and taking the right mental approach.

Later on in the ride I got my second puncture and without another spare Andy kindly set off to retrieve on from home.

Total ride was about 70 miles but although I found the pace hard to begin with was settling into a rhythm towards the end and could have completed the 100miles (perhaps with just a small cut in speed). We were out for over 4 hours and with the wasted time for punctures and other engagements pending had to cut the day short.

A big thanks to Andy, today has really boosted my confidence and broken a few speed taboo’s I had.

[lunges for last few bits of smartie in bottom of bag to replenish energy levels]
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    [happily fetches new bag of Smarties for Carl and even adds a jelly baby for candy]
  • Update, week commencing 26/4/04.

Mon – 40 mins swim - 25 miles bike inc 10mile TT (29:57)
    Tue – 40 mins Gym - 13+ mile run (2hr 10 mins)
    Wed – 50 mins Swim - 50 mins Gym
    Thur – Rest
    Fri – Rest [RW London Social – great fun]
    Sat – Rest
    Sunday – 70 mile bike (4.5hrs approx) – ave 17.1 mph. (for info see above post)

Total training time – 11 hours approx

Another good week for me though lost some motivation on Wednesday and missed a session, also because of planned brick session (not to mention 2 nights on pi$$), thus week includes 3 rest days but as next week was scheduled as an easy week im bringing that forward and now going back to 15hr+ weeks till the end of May when my next easy week is planned.

Goals for May

Hire wetsuit and begin open water practice
    Complete a 100mile bike/10k run brick
    Complete 22mile run (3.5hrs+)
    Complete 1hr 30mins swim endurance session to build confidence
    Complete at least 1 brick session each week (at least 3 hrs each)
    Maintain swimming at 3 sessions per week

• Thanks Jj - they were Yum.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    You're welcome, Carl.

And it looks like you've tired out that frail young ollier...
  • been to the pub... with an all-round sunburn! damn weather
  • Doesn't your fur protect you? Well done Carl, see its not too bad at all.
  • i think its moulting season

carl - see; piece of cake. if you sort out your back tyre and practice eating a bit more you'll be down to a 6.30 bike leg in 7 weeks no problem
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    alright guys, and sexy gal (jj),

sounds like a good one. so was the puncturing just bad luck or were there plenty of thorns and other sharp bits and bobs on the road in waiting?

well im up for a ton on this course as all i have near me are nasty hills. cant get settled into my saddle!

I took fri off, but on sat I did a total of 71miles bike and a 2.5mile run. thats officially the longest training session ive ever done! however i did stop for an hour after first 25miles of bike to buy my new qr tri-suit at sigma sport, followed by some sannis in richmond park. before loops of rich park and then back to bromley through stretham.

didnt feel that bad after wards, was very pleased with myself. but then i ruined it all by gicing in to my masochist cravings for alcohol and dodgy food after lots of exercise. its in built in my brain and i cant change the habit!
    for my supper i got through a whole bottle of red wine, a bag of the family sized sensation crisps (incidentally those new beef flavoured ones are nice!) and 5 buttons chocolate cakes.

next day got up at 7:30 to meet a friend and spend the day on rides in thorpe park. what fun! although now im burnt in many places :O(

but yeh! bring on the century bike ride.......im gagging to get stuck into it.....after my race next week.

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
  • Good work Daz, it does make you feel good when youve put in a hard session. Also is great for building confidence, Sunday really helped me, I didnt know I could go that fast but ached a bit today. Know what you mean about getting food crazy after a hard session to, im completely ravenous and could eat my way through the European food mountain, usually start with somin fatty (Macdonals Big Tasty meal and a hamburger yesterday) and finish off with a bowl of tub of icecream. Must cut that out now its stupid doing all that hard work just to waste part of it by gorging on 3000+ Calories.

Got my start time for Stratford, its 09.37:30, my race number is 511 - any idea how many entrants there might be?

Oh and ive got lovely sunburn stipes around my thighs where my cycling shorts were yesterday.
  • Re - punctures, have swapped front and rear tyres today and going to see if that makes much difference to my luck. Also made careful inspection and brished inside of tyres and wheel to ensure no little bits of debri were there.

Will see if I can get a decent Armadillo tyre at Stratford mini expo (Total Fitness are there and may have some ther good stuff - will need to be careful with my credit card I think).
  • punctures - its an odd one - I've never had a puncture on that route, and god knows how many thousands of miles i've done on it

then carl gets two within the space of about 50 miles

maybe i'm just incredibly lucky and carl's incredibly unlucky, or maybe there's a more systematic reason for it (dodgy wheel or tyre perhaps?)
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    carl, have you also checked the wheel rim. maybe thr im tape has come away slightly and exposed a sharp corner of one of the spoke-ends...?

good stuff on startford. ive received nothing as done through the civil-s sports council. bit concerned but made accom arrangements and booked a transit van so not turning back now!

put your details on tt (stratford tri thread) so we can all wander over and look out for you on course....!
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • No rim tape as no spokes show through on my wheels. Also checked inside wheels and was as smooth as a babys bum.

Will update details on TT.
  • Carls quiet, he hasn't keeled over from his ride with king louie last week?
  • err sorry, had a bit of a hard week though still going well.

Ive put in to many speed (or short)sessions, i.e. MK Duathlon on Tuesday and going to be doing the Stratford Sprint Tri on Sunday - no of which have or will result in spectacular times as im not tappering into them. Still its a good change for my legs to inject a bit of speed and change the sessions this week to break the monotony of pounding out the miles.

60mile+ (hopefully 75) bike tomorrow & Sprint Tri on Sunday. Did an 18 mile run yesterday 2hr50min and ended up with a pain in my knee, luckily its gone today as have taken it easy, though had a swin lessson at lunchtime which went really well (I seem to have improved again slightly).

Next week its back to the long work and my aim is to fit in a 100mile bike and a 50mile +10k brick session, oh and a 13 mile run, a 10 mile run and 3 swims, oh and a 10mile bike TT lol. Key aim is the long ride and brick sesion though.

• don't over do it remember the hardest part of ironman is getting to the finish line fit and healthy. You are working hard and doing well so don't forget to treat yourself. And rest. The swimming will come and its worth putting in some exra work on it. You want to get out of the lake feeling fresh and un-stressed to start your day off right. Well done.