Options

Any Serpentines out there

Hi guys,

I'd love to join a running club, but unfortunately work makes it impossible right now (I live in London, but commute out to Surrey, so only get home at 8ish at night). But today I've got the day "working from home" due to the tube strike (boss took pity on the fact it took 5.5 hours to commute on last week's strike!)

So I figured I should take advantage of this opportunity and go along to the Serpentine run this evening. Are any of you who are members going along this evening?

cheers
venom

Comments

• Options
    I'm not a Serpentine member, but I need to do an 8 miler today. Do you know how far and how fast they tend to go and what time they meet? I might slide along if it's not too late, although I'll only be doing 9 minute miles or so.

Glad your boss took pity on you today...mine didn't!

DW
  • Options
    Hi DW,

They meet at 6:40 at Seymore Leisure centre off Edgware Rd. They do two different runs, the three parks run (about 7.4 miles), and the two parks run (4 or 5 miles). Think there's probably enough of them to cover all paces.

All this is theoretical and based on what I've read on the website though.

venom
  • Options
    7.4 would probably have been okay, but I think 6:40 is a bit late for me unfortunately as I need to get back home to deepest Buckinghamshire afterwards. Shame as I quite fancied something a bit different.

DW
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    The Serpentine Wednesday route as well as a few other routes within London are on their website - www.serpentine.org.uk
  • Options
    Hi Venom, I'm a Serpie, but I'm not going tonight because of the strike!

They leave the centre at 7pm sharp but you can turn up anytime. I wish they started at 6.30 really as I'm usually hanging around there (watching the five-a-side that goes on in the hall) for ages.

DW they have different paced groups for the two different circuits (so 9 minute mile is fine) and you follow either a yellow bib or an orange bib depending on which route you are doing (short 4.3 miles, long 7.2 miles).

They also do Saturday morning runs, I did this once pre GSR and did two laps of the short as I prefer the route for a nice long run. (It was a gorgeous sunny morning in the park too.) In the winter they also do Sunday morning runs in Richmond Park (I think) for long slow runs for FLM training.

Pop along some time and let me know if you do I'll look out for you.