Options

Fate/Destiny... do you believe our paths are already made..?

2»

Comments

• Options
    PhilPub wrote (see)
    Ian M wrote (see)

"However it is also clear that we do."

No, It's clear that we believe that we do, which ain't the same.

Unless you redefine free will as the belief that we have a choice. 

Even that's a bit dodgy isn't it?  How can you be certain that the initial thought in your brain leading to an apparently free choice being actioned wasn't itself pre-determined?

Oh, it clearly is! Or else random, and being subject to randomness doesn't sound like "free will" to me either.

• Options
    Ian MIan M ✭✭✭

I think the concept of free will largely stems from the impression that our inner voice feels a step removed from reality and thus able to observe and respond with a detached independence, but unless you subscribe to the concept that the inner voice is super-natural and beyond the limits of the universe as we percieve it, then that voice is as random/response driven as everything else in the universe.

• Options
    I agree and totally understand that science is limited, pity a few more of our scientists didn't realise it
  • Options

@EKGO - science it limitless.  Our understanding of it, on the other hand, ...

• Options

Interesting discussion. Itsometimes seems that the more we discover abour the world, the less free will (whatever that may be) we have.

Often when we talk about free will we seem to be actually talking about taking responsibility, and therefore accepting consequences. And if the consequences seem to be beneficial then we are more likely to want to say 'I did that'.