10Km races

Hi all.

I am currently recovering from a hip injury and hopefully aim to be ok to start a light run/jog this coming monday (after 2.5 weeks out this day can not come quick enough).

I am switching my aim to compete in 10k races and joining a local running club. Now, based on a first competitive 10k race, what would be considered a decent time? The fastest I have ran a 10k is 54:13 minutes last year but I have suffered a number of injuries since then so Im afraid I have lost some stamina. I hope to be competing by Feb/March time.

Any suggestions on quick stamina progression training? Should I aim for around the hour mark for a satisfactory return?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• If you're on the way back from injury and you've had several since last year then I would say you're asking the wrong question, unless you've already resolved why you are getting all these injuries. Either you are overtraining, building up too quickly or there is some underlying problem like mechanical imbalance, shoes not right for you, insufficient stretching etc. Otherwise your 'quick stamina progression training' just means get injured again quick! image

Have you analysed the training building up to the last injury? What are you going to do different to avoid a repeat?

• Since then I have kitted myself out with some 'cushioned' trainers as I land flat when running so the impact has had a negative effect on me. I had evaluated my training last time and my injuries were probably due to the fact that I trained too much with not enough rest days between sessions. I have done a lot of research into adequate stretching etc and feel that I have the right gear and knowledge for when i start up again. To be honest, i didnt think about the quick stamina gains leading to injury quicker  image Just need a decent training plan with decent building blocks. Came to this site on the off chance that I could get some experienced knowledge. Thanks for the interest shown

• scott, if you think you have the injury issues sorted, you can either post your previous training schedule for comment or check out the training schedules tabs at the top of the page. My advice would be to concentrate as much as possible on straightforward steady aerobic runs, building up mileage/number of days per week cautiously to make sure there aren't any sudden stresses on the system. You could safely do that for the bulk of the time between now and your planned return to racing next year. Don't increase mileage by more than 10% in any week. You can look at maybe introducing some faster sessions in say January if all is going well.

• I shall have a look at a few of the training schedules on this site and see if i can combine this into my new training schedule and just see what works for me. Was contemplating just starting with say a steady 2 mile run, say twice a week for a few weeks and see how i feel. I have heard that 10% increments are the way forward when building mileage so i will use this as a training tool. Thanks for the advice on when to probably start some faster sessions, will bear this in mind.