Options

Highland Fling

Comments

• Options

I love marshaling. Always rather manic but much fun. Plus it's a great way to check out everyone's choice of shoes, kit and food.

• Options

Of course Els is doing it TP....she's on this thread after allimage

cragchick, there's a group run on the Devil route on the 24th November if you fancy companyimage

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hello MrsMac  Count me out of that little jaunt.  I've had my fill of the WHW for the time being.  The abiding memories of my two arrivals at Fort William seem to be very hazy ones.   I remember some crazy woman leaping out of a car at me ...

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

If you like loose stones of varying degrees of size, angularity, sharpness, and propensity to tip you over, you'll love the Devil route.

I'd rather have tree roots any day!

Must say a combined start to The Fling is much better fun, although you'll be slow getting off.

• Options

Definitely a slow start is good, and I'm used to being lonely at the back....sooooo....this should be a good race imageimage. Hopefully a few more of the slower women will stick around and not dnf themselves at Rowardennan like this year image, I met a few running the same pace as me about 20m, but they all dropped at 27m!!!

Mrs Mac - you always come on here with such good runs image. I will add my 'oooooo' +1 to Dudes again image. We need to work combined on Els, I think image.

• Options

@Andy AFCB - the race organises buses from the finish back to the start in the evening - £10 and they leave each hour (6pm until 10pm I think).  There's a £5 Ceilidh after the race though, so if you stay up, you'd be able to get a train back on the Sunday.

Got my entry in already - fourth year in a row.  Not sure about the 6am start since I'll probably get caught up with going too fast at the front - unlike this year when I was still in the car-park chatting when the 7am runners headed off (oops)

There are training runs on a regular basis - have a look at the group in Fetch Everyone or the FB WHWrace page for these (often one a month).  There's also a whw training weekend covering the Balmaha to Inversnaid section on 25th/26th January, which was brilliant earlier this year

• Options

Ha ha T Reximage I hadn't thought how frightening that might be after 96 miles!

I much prefer the Devil half, but then I also seem to spend a lot of my time falling overimage

Yes TP, we'll talk her roundimage

Hi Andyimage 

• Options

TP, I don't remember loads of women dropping out at Rowardennan last year. Not saying it didn't happen, just wondering why I can't remember it. I was collecting timing chips from the DNF-ers to make sure everyone was accounted for, and I only remember guys. I didn't have a piece of paper so I was writing the names and numbers on my arm to keep track of them all. Looked like a REALLY bad self-done tattoo and took ages to scrub off afterwards. image BTW I'm a slow burd and I'll be doing everything I can not to drop out at 27 miles. I'm actually planning on picking up the dog from there so he can keep me company if I'm at the coo's tail by then...

• Options

Runs-with-dogs - maybe they finished behind me then image. All I remember is seeing a bunch sitting about at Rowardennan, and none of them passed me later.

• Options
    Perhaps

you're just not quite as slow as you think!

Maybe relay runners? Or full Flingers taking an extended lunch break? I did find it quite hard to keep track of who was running right through, who was finishing a leg, who was waiting to start one, who had DNF'd and was hanging around hoping for a lift and who was only supporting or spectating but doing so wearing full running kit just to cause confusion!
  • Options

No worries cragchick, maybe the next one? Good luck with the WHW entryimage I've offered to crew for a friend this year. Elspeth seems to have vanished.........image

• Options

Seeing this forum thread makes me tempted again. Had a dire run in the heat of 2011. Tempted by the WHW again as well but need to find right moment to discuss with wife. Will dream of the rooty stuff along the loch....

• Options

Hi Folks,  Good to see a wee bit of chat about the Fling, and all good so you must all be amazing people image  

Many thanks to all for entering or thinking about it.

We are always so grateful for extra marshals (including OH's).  It is really selfish when marshals from 2012 deside to run in 2013...... only kidding "runs-with-dogs"  image

Good luck to everyone with your winter training

• Options

Well I'd love to marshall if I can't run it, what's the date again?

This training run in Nov - which bit would it be?

• Options

Date is Saturday 27th April.  Loads of time to train  image

• Options

Elspeth... get your entry in! You know you want toimage The training run is Tyndrum - Fort William (or part of it, as much as you want). Not sure if we'll be there yet.

cragchick, I'd never used a crew before the WHW. Discovered a good crew can be the making of your race.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Entered the Fling image Hopefully see some of you there!

• Options

Cragchick - I am exactly the same image.

Hurrah WiB image!

I see they have dropped below the '100' mark now for places remaining. Get yer entries in (that means you Elspeth imageimage).

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Yep, I was hanging on for a while but it got to about 440 so decided just to enter before I missed out... time to look at flights now as a quick look shows a return flight to Glasgow is much cheaper than driving!

• Options

Hi Fellrunner! Long time no 'see'image I do agree with you, ordinarily I don't have a crew but had to accept it for the WHWR and really was glad they were there. It was nice to just switch off and let someone else organise my stuff for me. The rest of the time, its down to meimage

Nice one WiBimage

Yes, come along Elspeth......image

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Sleeper train is possible CC but to be honest for the price of flights it seems the best option to fly. I am pretty close to Gatwick and I don't think it is far from Glasgow airport to Milngavie.

• Options

WiB - not too far, but does take a while on public transport. If you decide to go direct then your best option is a taxi. However if you are intending to stay in Glasgow city centre the night before then there is a shuttle bus from the airport. From the city centre you can get a number 119 First Bus from Buchanan Bus Station all the way out to Milngavie, which is an okay service during the week, but I wouldnt risk this on race morning....again your best option here would be a taxi with it being a 6am start for everyone.