Highland Fling

Comments

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Fellsman is on my list too CC. Just seen the Scafell Marathon mid May, that looks quite good.

• I did the Jedburgh ultra in October. 38 miles. It was a great race but very very very muddy. tough going. excellent, varied route though, and a friendly vibe.

• yep image

i remember being very disappointed with my time as I crossed the line, until I noticed that I was quite high up in the field. lot of good runners behind me. times are all relative when you are knee high in mud image

• Not long now until the Fling image haven't raced much this year so a little nervous but it's an awesome race and will be lovely to see everyone again image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I'm nervous because I am very slow at the moment but fortunately have plenty of time to overtrain in the next few weeksimage

Don't forget to save yourself for your CR run at 3 Forts just after image

• still no long run

don't panic!

• How far is a 'long' run tba? I did a 20 miler yesterday, cannot run today - strange ankle pain! Hopefully it's something minor. May try again tomorrow.
  • i'd say over 20 miles. couple in the high teens but life/desire has gotten in the way so far.

hopefully it'll pass andy.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

We'll see in a couple of days image I have taken the taper for it very seriously by killing myself on the track last night. 90 mins of hilly tempo running tonight should see me suitably tired for saturday morning image

Suggested a long run next Fri as its bank holiday. Not sure what the plan is but would be good to get a few people out for one... whatcha reckon?

• WiB...ah yes the FKT Good Friday trail run....I would have liked to but I can't make that morning....and anyway it's HF taper time for meimage

Is your race still going ahead on Sat - if so best of luck image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

haha... tapering! image

Yeah it's still on as far as I know, I have washed a pair of shorts and t-shirt so I must be going racing image

• took a run out from milngavie to balmaha and was diverted through drymen due to felling (due to finish in June)..and noticed that Conic Hill was closed!

Will the course be different from usual?

• I'm not to hopeful I'll make this one now - bad ankle has stopped me running for 10 days image. Will make the call on Friday!
  • that's a pity mate. give yourself a good chance, though, my preparation has been far from ideal either, but I am going to give it a bash anyway.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    the dude abides wrote (see)

took a run out from milngavie to balmaha and was diverted through drymen due to felling (due to finish in June)..and noticed that Conic Hill was closed!

Will the course be different from usual?

Have not heard anything about course changes, just checked on the site and on the FB page too. Can we sneak a couple hundred people through? image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Check out www.west-highland-way.co.uk news.  It looks like felling in Garadhban Forest and the Conic Hill path improvements may have finished by race day? btw hope they don't improve the path too much ...

• Hiya T-Rex

Thanks for the link. Certainly looks so. The information available on the trail said that Conic will be clear by race day but that parts of the Garadhban Forest won't be completely clear until June.
     But it was a bit vague.

I hope they just tarmac the whole lotimage

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Cheers for the link TR. Hopefully it doesn't affect the course and if it does hopefully it's only minimal.

tda - Have you managed to bank a long run yet?

• hiya WiB. sort of. milngavie to balmaha comfortably and ran from craignure to pennyghael on Mull (19miles) without too much bother.

It isn't ideal but I'm just going to go out on the day, take it slow, and hope for the best.

how about you. you fit? image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Sounds like progress! Should be a fun day out all the same.

Yeah I think I am getting there, heard lots of good things about the race so just looking forward to running it image

• Damn - I was kinda hoping Cronic Hill would still be shut and we could just miss it out altogether and run around the low level route imageimage!

Loch Lomond National park website states that the dreaded hill will indeed be open - path work is scheduled to finish 8th April. But, as you say Dude, the forestry commission work won't be completed until June.

Last time I was up there when felling was taking place they had just put a diversion through the woods, which brought you out further down the Milton of Campsie B road, then you had to back-track to get up to the Conic track - nothing major though and it was well marked.

I will see if I can take a trip up there after 8th, and will report back image. They had to do something with that path, it was a right state last year with the erosion.

• Race briefing is now out - check your in-boxes folks image.

Couldnt do my planned Drymen recce last week as had a bad case of Tiger-Flu / cold, luckily lungs are now clearing up so I should be good to go for the race.

Looks like we are doing a 2m diversion in order to miss out the forestry works, so will be going through Drymen village then re-joining the WHW further up the road, in order to do Conic Hill. Blessing in disguise really, cos the forestry track was hideous hard 'chippy' stone last year where they had re-surfaced. Also, doesn't add any extra miles to total distance image.

Excited now!!!

• I have my brief!

That sounds sensible Cragchick - it's a long season, no sense in ruining it all for one race. on to other, better days image

Yes there are some great routes on Mull. the Bidie-In's parents live there so we go over 3 or 4 times a year. sea loch at the bottom of the garden. brilliant!

The fun continues...ive been struck down with food poisoning, so now struggle to walk let alone run. Hopefully I'll be up and about later in the week.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Looking forward to it! Resting hard nowimage