Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    KK- welcome aboard image

Just having a break from killing myself with my new medicine ball......
  • No time target just yet...oh and 5th Snod too please Mr Rex.By the way, are you decided on Gloucester yet. Only realised today that it is only a couple of weeks away!! Got a wiggle on today for the first 18 miler of 2013 along Brighton seafront.Home to the hills tomorrow after a very eventful holiday!!
  • TRex, put me down for sub 3. But I'll have to knock 8 mins off my 2010 time. A summer of hill training awaits me.
  • touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    4.15 for me did 4.30 last year but I walked from 18-24 miles!!!
  • Oh go on then, I'll pin my colours to the mast and admit a sub 4hr would make me about as happy as a pig in the proverbial.......

• Not sure what to aim for.... I did 4:36 in Loch Ness last year. I know this one is hillier and it would be nice to get round in around 4:30. With proper training I don't think it's impossible?  
  • Me neither Elli - 4:26 @ Loch Ness but massive improvement on 1st Marathon @ Cape Wrath 5:06.
    I am certainly not aiming to PB at SNOD and I suppose I would not be unhappy at 4:45.

• I'm in a similar position to you Elli and Other Half.

Did 4.46 in Edinburgh in 2009, followed by 4.24 in Dublin in 2011 and 4.20 in London in 2012

At the moment i would take a sub 5 but who knows with a bit of training.......it could be a sub 6image

• Happy New Year to all

Entered last night; having done my very first SNOD last year I always saw myself coming back for more. Wish I'd looked hotels up earlier mind, some very keen/organised people out there! Couple of fellow Brummies also returning and I'm sure they will pop up on here in due course.

Decided over Christmas that I wanted to run 2,013 miles in 2013. On 14.2 miles two days in so well ahead of schedule image. Did some parkrun tourism of my own at Hampstead Heath yesterday - rusty - and plodded in and out of work today.

More hills in this year's training methinks!

• Yeah my Loch Ness was PB too, a huge improvement from previous year's marathons which I got round in just under and just over 5 hours. Wasn't expecting that at all.... and it may sound silly but I think the hills helped. I'm much more used to running hilly courses than flat ones. Too much flat tires out my muscles, where as with hills I find I use different parts of my legs going up and down and doing the flats in between so I last longer.

I know for this one though I'll need to do a lot more than I have done for the previous marathons. Thinking of some hill walking as well. I don't live that far from the Yorkshire three peaks so could go climb them a few times image

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    OH, steve, elli - I'm really pleased to see others with similar marathon PB as myself doing this. I'm sure with 10months to train we'll do ourselves proud! I'm planning some serious squats/lunges in the next 3 months to build up strength...then attack some hills!

Dennis. .I own up to being organised/keen. booked accommodation straight after entry. I'm making a long weekend break out of it image
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

I entered this race last night, oh goodness me!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I can see you lot are going to be hard work, and it's still only January!

3:00

• jason d (5th SNOD)
    • wayne mayer 2 (4th SNOD)

3:30

• Greg C.
    • stephen kavanagh 4

3:49

• Run Jono (7th SNOD)

4:00

• BritNick
    • Kandinsky

4:15

• touie 2

4:45

• Other Half

5:00

• Steve J

Also running

• Banterful
    • brer rabbit
    • Caity
    • Cap66
    • ChefRunner31 (3rd SNOD)
    • Chrissi
    • Danster 999
    • Dennis Hussey (2nd SNOD)
    • Elli of the North
    • Fenland Runner
    • ffRAN
    • Fiona Evs 7
    • HeOw
    • jenf
    • joe 26.2 (3rd SNOD)
    • John Bach
    • KingKenny
    • Laudy
    • Leigh C-H
    • mcs
    • Mr Ben
    • Mr panad
    • panad
    • paulsamchrimbo
    • Pete Thomas 6 (2nd SNOD)
    • pinkbug (1st SNOD)
    • Reydon Rover (5th SNOD)
    • slimswannie (1st SNOD)
    • Snowdonia Snail
    • STEVE TAYLOR 27
    • stilldreaming
    • Tattooed Runner41
    • The Lazy Greyhound
    • T Rex
    • Ultra Disco Stu
    • Wabo

• Fellrunner
    • T Rex (100th mara)
  • Blimey, it's going to be a record year all round re the race - 1024 entries already, 466 messages on the thread and a list on the thread within 3 days of the race entries being opened. 7 successive Snowdonia for me - that is all I'd like to add to this list at this stage - I'll see how the training goes, but if I can stay clear of the plantar fasciitis and get a few more 20+milers under my belt next time (just did one before last years race) I hope to get close to the 2h54m I ran in 2011!

Serious respect TR for planning to do your 100th marathon an Snowdonia 2004. At the rate I've done marathons since taking up this running lark back in 2007, I'd be 82 to clock my 100th!!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    JB- plenty of time then image
  • Booked up marathon New Years Day... Me & Mrs Lemmy... She wants the full SNOD experience, what with it being nice last year (2012), so fingers crossed for gales, storms, hail, sleet, wind & rain... And she wants Sub 5:00, so put us down for that T-Rex,

To be honest I slowed us up due to ITB problems (we did 5:22), came back from SNOD saw sports massagist and he sorted it out... Should've done this earlier... Since then I've sprained ankle twice OFF ROAD (last Saturday in XC most recent!), so Strictly Tarmac for me until VLM...

Booked Caernarfon Travelodge for Friday & Saturday, 25th & 26th October... Came to £50. Worth looking at, PremierInn is £120!!

Hope to dip in & out of here & remain injury free for rest of year...

• 2nd SNOD for me & Mrs Lemmy...

• Lemmy - think I preferred the rain/sleet/thunder/lightning and howling winds image

Sixth Snod for me TRex (all things being equal/everything crossed!).

Looks like the thread is going to be even livelier than last year image .........

• Hi all, I've just entered and like Lemmy, booked the Travelodge in Caernarfon. This will be my first time at Snowdonia! Hopefully the sore throat, phlegmy chest and sore achilles will clear up soon!  

Jason D - recognise your name from browsing through the Chester Marathon thread this year. Evening and happy new year to all!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Blue moon- Hi! Yeah, done Chester for the last 2 years and PBd both times. Plan this year is to go into Snod without another marathon in my legs from 3 weeks earlier! Got to help! image
  • Hi Jason! I'm about to start my training for Lake Annecy Marathon in the French Alps (completely flat contrary to popular opinion!). Fortunately we've plenty of hills here around West Yorkshire to get me readied for Snowdonia come October! How difficult is this race?!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    BM- it was my first ever mara and it's a great race. As long as you train for it, it's not too bad at all. I won't lie to you- the last ascent is a beast, but there's a fab atmosphere and stunning scenery all the way As a guide, the difference between my Chester and Snod times were 17 mins in 2011 and 19 in 2012. Bearing in mind that there were only 3 weeks between the races and Snod wasn't a full out effort on either occasion .....
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    1099 entries now image
  • Damn didnt realise to check travelodge!! image

I booked B&B in Llanberis. £120 for two nights for two people. I wish I'd realised that I could have saved over half! Oh well at least I'm right at the doorstep.

• Do the entries usually sell out pretty quick?

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Elli - you get what you pay for though.... image

Apparently the FB link says half the places are now gone!
  • Hey, it's banging on this forum again..let's get the party startedimage

Hi SD..good holiday?

John Bach..desperate to get back to to God's country before then..how do you rate the Anglesey Half marathon over the bridge event?

• I've booked Premier Inn Bangor. Stayed there 3 times before. Only 15 minute drive to llanberis, nice early continental ( or full english if you prefer) breakfast. . Can't wait , my favourite race of the year. Just got to stay injury free.