Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    WM- happy enough at this stage - long way to go!

Jed- I do get sports massage regularly- every 3 weeks or so, but also stretch every day....
  • ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Hi All

First run of 2013 just done it was so good to get back out again. image

Some fantastic running and races planned already for everyone i see.  I won't be joining you all at SNOD this year image but i have got 2 summer halves planned already and i really need to get the mountain bike Mr C bought me 2 years ago muddy this year.

The get back fit plan starts tomorrow with Insanity at 7am image

• Hi all

JD, WM2 two cracking runs there guys image

Easy 4 miles for me down the prom First good weeks running for me for along while starting to feel back on form image

• Hi all

Well i have signed up for what will still be my 5th snod after having to miss out last year at the last moment.I am hopefully going to have a better year this year running wise and have started to plan the year ahead,was looking at the Anglesey half marathon on march 3rd as my first race are any of you guys doing it?

Hope your shoulder is on the mend Trex,are you back out running yet?   

• Longest run of the year so far felt tired from the start and had to push myself to go been nights all week.but 15 miles just done in 1.52 on a hilly course avg.7.29 so happy its done.
  • Hey a few more names back to join usimage. Another nice few runs completed team, well done. RR, may do Anglesey Half after John Bach's recommendation but may have another cunning plan. Gotta think about it first thoughimage as I make break what's left of my body! Couldn't go running yesterday as body decided it needed a complete re-fuelling. Constant eating of crap all day rendered me beached however a weigh-in this morning showed I had managed to lose 4 pounds over Christmas which was a shock. I can ill afford to lose that much when I only weigh 7 stone normally. image Anyway, suitably re-fuelled, 19 miles completed today in thick fog and massive carb load session afterwards. Aim for weekimageut on 4 pounds!!

HAVE A GOOD DAY TOMORROW GANG!!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

TR40 et al - had another X-ray and the (vertical) gap between the two broken bits of clavicle is filling with bone nicely but I have some damage to the deltoid nerve which runs in a groove alongside this bone.  This produces bouts of pain in the upper arm, like a cross between an electic shock and a muscle tear.  I've found what seems to trigger it most is swinging the arm and rotating the torso, so when I'm finally back into running I will have to effect a motionless upper body technique ...

Great to hear all the stories and enthusiasm so long before the event.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

T Rex jnr has taken up running!!  He's entered the Cardiff half in October along with his girlfriend. He is very fit from climbing and biking, does a bit of triathlon, and feels 1:50 is a good target for a first race, which he announced eyeing me suspiciously.  I said I'll enter as well and aim for 1:40!!

I've got a feeling he's going to be training hard over the next few months ...

Trouble is I'm doing my local LDWA 27-mile Challenge event the day before so I'm going to have to be at the top of my game to beat him.  Also doing Abingdon as well as SNOD in October, so a busy month.

• Happy as I managed just over 9 miles today. I've really let my fitness drop after Loch Ness mara, but now I'm confident I'm back in the game for my half marathon in February. 

Just been sorting my rest of the year race plan. Looking good. Just running out of money signing up in races! image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I know the feeling ...

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

didn't get lost (much) on my run today, I did some paths/dunes I'd never seen before! Only did 10miles according to my garmin but my legs told me I'd done lots more!!! Lots of stretching for me this eve! 

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Jenf- well done. You have mail btw image
  • Reading some of these posts and looking at my current mileage is starting to make me feel slightly inadequate image.

Might have to start ramping it up if I'm going to make it past the Ice Cream parlour in Beddgelert image

• panadpanad ✭✭✭

don't worry Kandinsky -  They're a bunch of nutters on here! imageimage

lost my running mojo completely.  Only been out once this year, a measley 6 miles on new year's day.  It's not even that I haven't been able to get out, I just really CBA imageimage  hoping it returns soon.....

• Sounds painful Trex,is that the end of your cycling career?

Brer- The main reason i fancy the Anglesey half is that it is on the 3rd of march and Bryn Gloch opens up for business on the 1st so it is a good excuse to get an early visit to my caravan and it is organised by the same people that do the slateman which is a great event,good running by the way.

• C'mon Panad, get those trainers on..get some rocking music going on the ipod- and go for it buddyimage

Reydon Rover, sounds like a fine excuse to enter. I was born near Menai Bridge and it always brings a lump to my throat when I cross it. It does also make me feel a bit sick as it always seems to rock. Bryn Gloch site is where I've camped out for last three Snod marathons..see you there in Octoberimage

Kandinsky..tis only January buddy, don't stress.

Trex..Gloucester marathon?  BTW, enter your son for Snod aswell. Give him a challengeimage

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Reydon R - no, it's the start of it!

brer - I'm not as loony as you.  I know it's on my birthday but I'm not exactly up to a marathon at the moment!

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Hi folks,

Hopefully this year will be better than last year. Couldn't really be any worse. Entry in and room booked at Padarn Lake. I did end up running last year, Mrs C and I had a cottage in Bethgelert booked for a week anyway. Wasn't going to as I'd done no training but decided to just toddle round. Boy did it hurt! Half hour slower than last year, but 3minutes faster than the first year when I did train. Shows that 3 years of running changed me physically, or mentally, or more likely a combination of both.

Happy running all.
    If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  •  

Kandinsky wrote (see)

Ice Cream parlour in Beddgelert image

An Ice Cream parlour in Beddgelert !!!!! You really shouldn't have mentioned that. I'm off to Google street view to have a look.

• I'm now officially entered into the race, around the 1400th entrant, so looking forward to a bit of banter on here and following peoples progress. Hoping to beat my 5hr 11min from 2010 (my only ever marathon).

Doing the Anglesey Half on 3rd March and the Snowdonia Half on 28th April to acclimatise myself to the lovely Welsh air.

• I'm definately not doing the Anglesey half now, which I'm slightly disappointed about - a very good race - well organised by nice people. After missing it last year, I have entered the Betws/Snowdonia half - organised by a clubmate and the race passes about less than a mile from my front door. To say that the Betws half is a toughie is a bit of an understatement!! Still, good training for the Snowdonia marathon I guess!?

• John, my father in law took me round the route of the Betws/Snowdonia half over Xmas and I was amazed at how tough the climb to the lake just after the start was, we struggled in the car. Still if I can do Waunfawr I can do that???

• Yes Mr B, the climb out of Trefriw is, in my opinion, one of the toughest climbs near me - it levels off a bit before you get to Llanrhychwyn, then just when you think that is it you've got the climb through there!! The views as you run alongside Geirionnydd do, however, make the climb worth it!! Even when you get to the otherside of Geirionnydd there are a couple of inclines which, after 10+ miles, your legs won't thank you for. I am not sure if the course has been finalised as they were going to tweek it a little bit - I will ask my club mate tonight

• Steve loves bacon wrote (see)

Just a general comment to everyone:

Thank you all so much for all your input and advice so far - it really has been a pleasure to read all your comments and ideas, your training schedules, runs and plans for this year - I really am a novice in so many ways and you are all teaching me so much with your posts so thanks again and keep them coming!

Mr Ben wrote (see)

Kandinsky wrote (see)

Ice Cream parlour in Beddgelert image

An Ice Cream parlour in Beddgelert !!!!! You really shouldn't have mentioned that. I'm off to Google street view to have a look.

I better not mention the very good pub we'll pass in Rhydd Du then?

• As Rhyader is about the only decent race that is not trying to con entrants with silly entrance fees (it's still 12 to enter which is sensible money) can anyone tell me how they have altered the start, it used to be a double lap of the housing estate.

It's been a few years since I've run it, and have always had good weather.

Even with the fuel to get there and back and the entrance fee of 12 it's still cheaper than most other races of similar distance.
  • Peter - Rhayader 20 still starts at the leisure centre and goes round the estate and past the start once more before heading out as before, when you come to the visitor centre though you turn and go through the ??lan Village and along the back rd for a few miles before rejoining the original road just before the last hill back into the town. Slightly less in the town at the beginning but enough to warm up before you hit the hill..... See you there!

Glad to see positive stories about SNOD, I am still working out whether I need to stay 1 night or 2 as its a 3 hr drive for me.... I won't be camping, that I do know!!!
  • jenfjenf ✭✭✭

SNOD is sounding better all the time.. icecream parlour, pub... is that instead of water stations??image

• Hi gang

Mr Ben good to have you back mate image

Panad pull your finger out mate!! Need you fighting fit image

T-Rex Hope recovery continues and the pain eases image

Chimney was wondering were you been, catch you this yearimage

Nice 6 miles this morning image
  • jenf wrote (see)

SNOD is sounding better all the time.. icecream parlour, pub... is that instead of water stations??image

Now THAT'S an idea that could motivate image

• Hey Kandinsky,,another pub in Waunfawr..real ale.

Well troops, it is deepest January..keep the mojo up. Far better than loafing in front of TV...image

Sorry Trex, I feel I touched a nerve there..me..loony..that from you buddy is pricelessimage