Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday TRex image 

• Happy birthday TRex image

Well NTRIX cancelled tomorrow, so looks like I'll have to do a few off-road miles from home.   Luckily live right on the edge of town, so very few icy paths to negotiate before hitting the fields.  image

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday TRex image

Got off work abit early yesterday and took dogs to play in the snowdrifts brilliant fun.  Worked up a sweat today digging out the car (not that we can go anywhere in it) was more for the fun of playing in the snow again than any real pointimage 

Hope everyone has a good weekend

• T-Rex Happy birthday!!image

JD Good going on both counts!

Panad Sounds great fun!

Well did 8 miles in the Abergele hills 1000ft of climb some great trails and plenty of snow!! good fun image

• Still no significant snow in the far north (if you discount a light dusting on the hills)
    Stll not warm at 3°C with some wind chill on top
    18 miles on mostly road (snow free) but taking in the icy track over Marwick Head.

Well done to TR40, panad, WM2, jenf and JSN for getting out despite the snow

Happy Birthday TReximage

• Happy birthday Trex have a great day!
  • Great to see we are all back safe and sound from exploits today. Thanks for info Wayne..great decision by the organisers and good timing aswell. It must take a lot of guts to pull an event as early as they did (Friday 10.30am) but so relieved they did.

Well, to de-carb...I've had the best fun ever and the slowest run in history 19 miles in 3.20 minutes. Across fields in virgin snow, along snow covered main roads with no-one in sight, a quick snowstorm and another trek across loads of fields..only went flat on my face once and did roll about laughing like a little kid. Hot shower, Chilli con Carne..life sometimes is just too great. How do you explain this to non-runners who just simply think you are obsessed?image Sounds like the rest of you have had just as much fun on your chosen routesimage

• Hi all

Great reading about everyone's running, it keeps me keen! Have set myself a target of running 2,013 miles this year - probably small beer to the likes of Jason but uncharted territory for yours truly!

Had to take a few days off running last week with a virus that left me struggling to do a sofa to fridge shuffle, let alone anything more athletic. 

After all that inactivity, I was straining at the leash to get out despite yesterday's heavy snow here in Brum, and to be honest I felt luckier than all those poor sods stuck in stationary traffic trying to get home. 4.4 miles into work and 6.7 home after the office shut early image

However it was a struggle in plain old trainers to say the least. I've never actually owned any trail shoes; was hoping some of you sage people might have recommendations on brands to target / avoid? Thanks

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

You can't beat a good roll in the snow, laughing hysterically.  I hope to go out and do some of it myself before this lot's melted. More due on Tuesday in S Wales, apparently.

Dennis H - shoe choice is incredibly personal.  If you've got wide forefeet best to avoid Inov8. I'm trying Mizunos at the moment which seem quite successful.  As is common amongst runners who do offroad I have at least four pairs of assorted, hardly used shoes under the stairs that were unsuccessful and I don't know what to do with.  Gave one pair to T Rex jnr.

Umm ... my birthday's actually tomorrow - the date of the cancelled Gloucester marathon and 50K - but thanks anyway!!  image  You're all stars.

• Thanks for that T Rex and many happy returns. Unless you're size 12-13 I don't think you'll be able to offload any of those unwanted shoes on me, alas image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Jnr had the pair of size 12s that were a bit too big for me.  I'm 11 1/2.

• Happy birthday TRex have a lovely day xx
  • Sorry Mr Rex, I was a little early with my best wishes..have a great day.

Dennis, glad you are better. My trusty Innov8s got me around 19 miles yesterday..not the most comfortable ride in town being used to the padding of Asics, but they did the job. However, wouldnt trust them on ice..so my Yaktraks are coming out today!

Hiya NG, are you well?

• I am doing it as my first marathon! Also doing man vs horse in June for first time too. Only started running 6 months ago after 15 years off so thought be a good target.
  • Hi all

Some great running going on here as usual,have got a fair bit of snow and ice here in the east with more forecasted for later today.Decided to do my run on the beach today to avoid the ice,forgotten how hard going it can be on soft sand only did 8 miles but felt like more.

Happy Bithday Trex image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

T Rex- Happy Birthdayimageimage

RR- well done on the beach run- especially in soft sand!image

NP-Well done on toughing it out- amazing what difference the weather can makeimage

I was supposed to do 20 with 10 at MP today, but my legs felt really heavy in the subzero temperatures as I skipped around the compressed ice, and the last 10m were into an Arctic windimage Managed a couple at MP, but it was far too hard and gave it up for another dayimage - still a solid 20 though, so happy enoughimage 20m in 2.18.31 (6.56 av) with 1.3m warm down for aftersimage

• LaudyLaudy ✭✭✭

Just shy of 21 miles today, icy 5, followed by a knee deep snow in places 10, EPIC! then 6ish on the roads back!  Brilliant Run!!!  6 miles over schedule but better to be ahead than behind is my theoryimage

Happy Birthday T Rex image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Laudy- well done! Sounds interestingimage

Just checked my weekly stats: 107.84m in 13.29.23 (7.30 av). Looking forward to next week's cutbackimage

•  Thanks Jason,total respect to you for doing 20 miles in those conditions and at that pace,great running.I know what you mean about the artic windimage

• Good going guys..tough conditions. My legs felt totally trashed this morning after cross country knee deep 19 miles, but got out there again cos I love it. Just 10 miles today but worse conditions ice-wise and I got penned in a corner by a bloody Shetland mountain pony. Hell, he looked evilimage

• Well thanks Brer not running as well as you though
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Just entered the 10Peaks Brecon Beacons (long course) this Sep.  Will be my main event for this year and possibly the toughest done to date.  Advertised as tougher and worth more UTMB points than their similar Lake District event at which in 2010 out of all the starters, none finished!  How can an event be tougher than one with no completers?!  Perhaps results are measured by how far you get before you have to pull out??

This could and probably will make quite a story.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

3:00

• jason d (5th SNOD)
    • wayne mayer 2 (4th SNOD)

3:30

• Greg C.
    • stephen kavanagh 

3:45

• Tattooed Runner41 (4th SNOD)

3:49

• Run Jono (7th SNOD)

4:00

• BritNick
    • Kandinsky

4:15

• touie 2

4:45

• Camlo
    • Elli of the North
    • Other Half (1st SNOD)

5:00

• Lemmy (2nd SNOD)
    • Mrs Lemmy (2nd SNOD)
    • Steve J

Also running

• Banterful
    • Bluemoon86  (1st SNOD)
    • brer rabbit
    • Caity
    • Cap66
    • ChefRunner31 (3rd SNOD)
    • Chimney
    • Danster 999
    • Dennis Hussey (2nd SNOD)
    • Fenland Runner
    • ffRAN
    • Fiona Evs 7
    • HeOw
    • jenf (1st SNOD)
    • joe 26.2 (3rd SNOD)
    • John Bach (7th SNOD)
    • KingKenny
    • Laudy
    • Leigh C-H
    • mcs
    • mitiog
    • Moving Along
    • Mr 2
    • Mr Ben
    • Mr panad
    • panad
    • paulkrunner
    • paulsamchrimbo
    • Pete Grice (1st mara)
    • Peter John Lewis (18th SNOD)
    • Pete Thomas 6 (2nd SNOD)
    • pinkbug (1st SNOD)
    • powell1
    • Reydon Rover (5th SNOD)
    • Slimswannie (1st SNOD)
    • Snowdonia Snail
    • STEVE TAYLOR 27
    • stilldreaming (6th SNOD)
    • The Lazy Greyhound
    • T Rex (7th SNOD)
    • Ultra Disco Stu
    • Wabo
  • Mr Rex....and you call me loony!!

Right, time to stick my name down for a time..3:45 or bust! (5th Snod)

12 miles completed tonight across even more snow, not a cm of tarmac touched my little feet. Up to my thighs in the powdery white stuff at one point..my thighs will be like tree trunks soonimage Alas, mega ice on its way now, tried to put Yaktrax on over trainers last night for first time..cant say I trust them, look a bit weedyimage So, may have to resort to dreadmill after Spin class for rest of week until it is apparently getting milder.

How's everyone else fairing?

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Back to school here, so contented myself with 17 hilly miles on the bike in the snow (commute) - had to alter my route a bit (which made it hillier!) to avoid the worst of the country lanes, but still far happier on my bike in such conditions than in a car, at least I can get off my bike&walk I'd necessaryimage

If my legs survive tomorrow's commute I'm planning a run tomorrow afternoon...

Glad to see you're getting back to normal TRex image
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

T Rex- Best of luck with THAT outing, buddy!image

brer- do you have the Yaktrax Pro with the strap over the top? Failing that, there's always xc spikes....

panad- nice commuting. You could always leave the bike at school and run home, the reverse the procedure the following dayimage Only joking!!

A very easy paced 10.21m for me tonight and no morning run- it is my recovery week, after allimage

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

wimped out this eve.. just couldn't face the cold again image 

Promise myself a long beach run tomorrow afternoon,( frozen sand is good ), and I have the afternoon off work!

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    It has crossed my mind JD, or even running both ways, but lack of showering facilities at school are not conducive to good working relationsimage (primary schools are not well equipped!) On occasion I've been known to get the bus to school and then run home, but I enjoy the cycle, most days at least (&it's cheaper!)

8miles this afternoon, roads all ice-free here again, and there was even blue sky this today image

Enjoy the beach tomorrow jenf

Enjoy the free time this week JD image
  • Hi gang..surviving January so far by the looks of it! Spin tonight with trainer from hell but tomorrow night sees me venturing out in my new innov8s..with metal studsimage.

JD, have yaktrax pro, they just don't seem very substantial. I nearly bust the rubber bit putting them on the trainerimage

Panad..I have same showering problems. Primary schools just aint geared for dedicated super athletes like usimage

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Snow falling heavily here at the moment.  I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be the day ...