Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I'm in.  I see my brother has entered as well.

Not much running going on - bit busy with work at the moment.

Spring just around the corner.

• SD-I'm in, see you there. Weather looking ok for a bimble across the hills. Have you done this one before?

Just trotted a 13 miler..and yes, I detect a Spring-like feelimage

• Hi all

Well off to the Clwydians in the morning with Panad to recce part of excalibur image
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Jenf- I am doing Llanelli Half tomorrow- not sure I'll be capable of speech though! image

Agree about spring- the sun even seems to have a touch of warmth in it!
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Cracking run this morning TR41 image

Hard work (definitely enough to remind me NOT to cycle commute the week leading up to race day) but great fun, looking forward to the race in 3wks,similar weather to today would be perfect - lovely and warm in the sun, but a definite chill still as soon as you're out of it..

Have fun in llanelli JD and jenf.

Brer - sure you're racing somewhereimage - and anyone else who is racing as well, enjoy!
  • pinkbugpinkbug ✭✭✭

Good luck both at llanelli half tomorrow, wish i was back thereimage ran it last year, nice fast course (managed a pb) image

• JD, jenf good luck tomorrow!!

Panad Yep really good run this morning loved it, must admit though had forgotten how tough some of those sections are 3100+ feet of climb over 15:68 miles according to my watch!! image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Panad and TR 41- nice hilly running image

Pinkbug- different, and I suspevt slower, course this year; much more of it along that grit path image
  • Wow Panad and TR41..you must have had a cracker if weather as good as here.image

JD and Jenf..good luck to you bothimage

Yes..I'm off to do Cloud Nine fell race courtesy of SD's recommendation..7 quid, what a bargain. Next week is Bolton Hill marathon..so this is last long haul before then.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

thank you all for the good luck for the half tomorrow. I've had a nightmare at work this week image, I hope my increased stress levels will make me run faster!! Will catch up properly tomorrow.

• Brer - will look out for you tomorrow image Haven't done this race before, but it looks good so thought I'd give it a try.  Mind you, I'm under no illusions that I'll be one of the back markers .... leave some cakes for me image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Llanelli Half

Ok, not a total disaster given the following: 1. my lack of running for the last 2 weeks, 2. the fact that the new course includes around 6m of trail running along a grit path 3. the fact that it was -4c at the start and +2c by the end, and 4. it was out and back and there was a headwind on the way back- not too strong, but FREEZING!

That's the excuses out of the way, but the bottom line is that I am not where i need to be at this stage. I did lead the race for the first half mile- lol! but finished in around 1.23.xx

Lots of speedwork coming up over the next 5 weeks to sort it, but otherwise I am not forking out loads of cash for VLM to make up the numbers....

Jenf- hope you had a good one image
  • jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Well I'm sitting in my recovery skins, feet up, drinking tea n eating chocolate! image   I agree with jasons report on the weather n course, but I'm a very happy person as I managed to stick to my planned dream pace, and got a new PB image 1.54.38 (by my garmin)

Just caught up with all the posts I missed,

TR41, excuse my ignorance, but what is excalibur, other than Arthurs sword?

Panad, comute/cycle/ hills... then race?? wot are you like!

Brer,SD hope your race went well today, Do you get served cakes at the end? I like the sound of that!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Jenf- excellent! Must be all those Parkruns image
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Jenf - you can see why I fit in with the rest of these nutters then ;-p

Excalibur is an off-road marathon (ultra? as it's actually 27.xx miles) centering around moel famau in the clwydian hills, and it makes snowdonia look easy if you ask me! - TR41 and I did it last year in 5.5hrs compared to sub 4hrs each at SNOD....

Well done on your pb at llanelli,

JD hope you manage to get where you want to in time for vlm..
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

panad- thanksimage

Well today's frustrating Half must have loosened my legs up- just ran my quickest recovery run for a while for the same effort 6.53m in 52.45image

• Well done all..Jenf peeee beeeeeimageJD..that is still a cracking time bud, what were you hoping for? My little fell run was superb, very hot and sunny in the High Peak..a bit of a hill to contend withimage but lush cakes and soup at the end. Bimbled in at about 1hr 27 mins...didnt take Garmin as just wanted this to be a gentle enjoyable trot. Just as well there wasnt a time target as overtaking was impossible and many stiles to contend with. Have sun burn now..taper time now...again!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Brer- given a perfect course, conditions and preparation, I would like to be around 5 mins faster..... Well done to you on your bimble image
  • jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Just a quick post to say that I prob won't be posting for the next 10 days,  I'm off to Abu Dhabi to visit my daughter image,  catch up with you all on my return.

Happy Running everyone.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Jenf- enjoy the trip and the warmth! image
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

My LSR last week was supposed to be 20 miles but I've been too busy with work and missed it.  Instead went out today for a 22 and will then go up to the 28 next week, as planned.

Outward 11 1:43:56 (9:27 miling).  Found it very hard keeping up the pace on the return leg.  Despite a valiant 9:18 last mile I ended up with a "positive" split of 27s image. Left upper arm still very sore when I run - the shoulder really doesn't like the running action, nor even supporting the weight of the arm for 3+ hours.  Also some nerve pain cut in at one point which made me yell rather loudly.

Also ran past the point where I had cached a pint of water for the return leg so had to do the last six miles without any water.

Getting there, though.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

T Rex- nice run, but i hope the pain settles down soonimage

My plan was to run 15m with the last 5 faster tonight, but body and mind overruled plan in favour of 12m without getting fasterimage. Can still feel Sunday's half and supposed to do a tempo session tomorrow, so easy does itimage 12.05m in 1.28.12 (7.19 av)

--

//
  • Onwards and upwards T Rex..it all sounds very painful and annoying for you.

JD, I wish I could run as fast as you in training..did 13 miles last night in 2 hrs..ok, last bimble before Sunday's marathon so had to be steady, but it takes a fair chunk out of the evening when job/life/family have to be juggled. TBH..I should really not have gone that mileage so close to Sunday but had to try out my new Mizuno Wave Inspire 9 trainers...they are superbimage

Spin class tomorrow, 4 miles on Friday..then off I go to Bolton..with forecast of light snow....on Sunday.

• Talking of trainers .... have always run in Asics GT series and have had no problems up until now.  Unfortunately, Asics have "improved" and  "refined" their latest shoes and I now get cramp-like pains in my right foot when I run more than a few miles in them, so I've had to revert back to my old shoes.   Could be the most expensive dog walking shoes I've had in a long while image   Why do shoe makers have to alter shoes so frequently (don't tell me, I think I can guess!) image

• Hey, what's going on? We've slipped to third page. Everyone ok??

• quick hello from me, reading but not posting much as have been sulking about a sore butt. Better now so able to read without scowling!

Fab running as usual - not sure I can compete with the mileage you guys rack up but reassuring to read the steady pacers can pull off PB's.

TRex - at least your water will be there for next time! Glad shoulder is healed enough to run but hope it gets more comfortable soon.

still dreaming - agree with marketing ploy for trainers. It has the opposit effect on me as I try and hang onto my shoes until they fall apart rather than risk a change. can you try a different lace pattern rather than give up on them yet?

Round the Lakes 20 a week tomorrow (16th) which will be fun if the weather turns colder as forecast.
  • T-Rex Hope shoulder eases up my friend, good run though.

jenf well done on pb mateyimage

Well not much running done this week due to work was starting to get cabin fever!!, that was soon remedy this morning with a very impromptu Excalibur recce with panad. 11 miles of fell and trail in misty, muddy conditions 2276ft of climb some great descents and lots of big puddles!! Loved it image

Hope everyone has great runs this weekend.

• TR41-sounds fantasticimage Off to Bolton now to do a trail marathon across the Pennines tomorrow, getting quite fond of these cross country jauntsimage. Have a great weekend all.