Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• Panad Good enough for a little trail run Saturday??image

• Hey, hello there Team Excalibur..I include Panad as newly appointed Team Managerimage. Glad you are feeling better buddy. Done my final 14 miles tonight before Saturday as have loads of meetings for next two evenings. Travel to Chester on Friday night and then we go..go.. go...maybe very slowlyimage TR41, will mail you with any asks fot tips, weather etc if that is okimage

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

panad - sorry about your situation.  Like collarbones ribs are left to heal themselves and you must be in a lot of discomfort with that.  No running for a while I shouldn't think.  Or laughing.  Or coughing.  Best wishes for a quick recovery.  And recovering ££ for a new bike.

I'm still around but feeling somewhat of a wreck.  On my last long run I managed to tear my right gastrocnemius (calf muscle) lateral side behind the knee.  It's dodgy and I'm doing hamstring and (gentle) calf stretches to try to keep the knee functioning.  The shoulder is improving but so slowly.   The physio is saying it could take 12 months to restore full movement of the shoulder and nerve damage could last even longer ...

Just about right then for a 33-miler in the Black Mountains in 4 days' time, self-supported (only water provided), 6500' ascent.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Hey Team Excalibur! Good luck, and I hope your new manager isn't too hard on you!

I did a ladder interval session this eve, I pretended to be JD... I managed to hold his mile splits for all my 60sec intervals image lol

• TRex...blimey pal..on your own? For 33 miles..with injury...

Team Excalibur..just lookes at forecast OMG SNOW!! Assuming I can actually get to the event..I have just packed all my thermals, again!

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Had just looked at the weather myself... Can see the race being cancelled if it really comes that badly-you won't have a clue where anything is up there! 8-O last night it looked like it would hit NE Wales as rain, but if it does as the forecast suggests now your managers orders to you are to stay warm and safe at home.

Jenf - pretending to be JD and using his mile splits as 60sec intervals...love it! image
  • Brer/panad 26+ in the snow...........image Brer will message you my mobile aswell matey imagepanad thanks for use of watch!! may get around now image

Jenf thanks, well done on ladder intervals!! love it.

T-Rex hope injuries sort themselves out 33 miles...6500 assent...should help image

6 miles round Rhyl tonight, 7:51 7:58 7:43 7:53 7:33 7:08 mile splits.

• Team Excalibur..keep me posted as have yet another late night of meetings tomorrow evening. Love to do 26 miles in snow..but I have to get there first!image

• Excalibar marathon cancelledimage

• OK just googled the Excalibur Marathon and currently more convinced than EVER that I have wandered into this thread (and race) completely by accident image

• panadpanad ✭✭✭

Just seen that Brer. (On the plus side I might be able to run if they re-schedule )

Kandinsky - ignore us, we're all long term nutters! And all form of nutters at that.

When I first signed up for SNOD I'd been run-walking/running for a year and the only race I'd ever done was GNR. Mr panad only started running *after* entering last years SNOD. you'll soon be one if usimageimage

• Oh well, another one bites the dust...however on the mega positive side..Team Excalibur could be plus one now Panadimageimageimage..hope you don't mind an extra to the original team!

Phew, what a long week..but exciting trail runs at weekend in fluffy stuffimage

Kandinsky...we are normal reallyimage

• Panad/Brer bit gutted as was really looking forward to Excalibur. But buzzing now we will be 3 when they reschedule it and Panad should be back image still going out to play on trails the weekend image

Kandinsky we are all mad it's very infectious by the way and you have been hanging round us way to long not to have caught it, this will seem very normal to you soonimage come and enjoy the madness it fun image
  • I'm not feeling very optimistic about the Coniston 14 this Saturday image  Don't think I'll be able to persuade OH that it's worth the trek up the M6 .... another DNS to add to my list image 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Forecast for my Black Mountains 33 is fog first thing, then light snow all day , 1C, and 13 mph wind.  It's going to be pretty boggy and nasty.  Already will have been 36 hours solid of heavy rain.

Haven't yet run with a rucksack on that collarbone, so will have to see how it goes.

Sorry about Excalibur!

• panad wrote (see)

Kandinsky - ignore us, we're all long term nutters! And all form of nutters at that.

When I first signed up for SNOD I'd been run-walking/running for a year and the only race I'd ever done was GNR. Mr panad only started running *after* entering last years SNOD. you'll soon be one if usimageimage

You all make it sound like some sort cult.......which is hand as I've been looking for a new one ever since I was expelled from the last! image

I've been walking in the mountains for a few years and during that time I've noticed that my reaction to the fell runners I've come across has changed from wondering just how many marbles they are missing to grudging admiration and more recently to "I wonder"!

I only enetered my first race last September and SNOD was No 1 on my wishlist for 2013 (which was probably why I was signing up at 12:01 on Jan 1st) so who knows what the future will bring image

• Evening all, nice isnt it?? SD Coniston off I see. Trex, is your event still on? If so, good luck for it..I know how much of a challenge it is going to be for you.

Well, no work due to desperate weather conditions at place of work, so what was I to do? It wasnt exactly Offas Dyke running material but I set off looking like Humpty Dumpty due to vast amounts of clothing..around the Derbyshire dales..not quite as hilly but fairly brutal when up to knees in snowimage Managed to trot out a 20 miler in 3hr 20 mins plus 10 min of peering through horizontal snow to re-trace a lost path.image Legs now trashed, face the colour of a tomato and gear in wash! Simple things are so aceimage

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

"Teenagers on an outdoor education trip were rescued from the highest road pass in Wales in blizzard conditions on Thursday night.

Abergavenny-based Longtown Mountain Rescue Team was called to the aid of the four youngsters and their trainer who had become stranded in their minibus on the top of Gospel Pass, between Abergavenny in Monmouthshire and Hay-on-Wye, Powys."

Umm, Gospel Pass is going to be our checkpoint 4.  Apparently there's going to be a red van there with some water in it.  It is also the lowest point in about a 15-mile section which is why it is a checkpoint ...

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Brer - you're doing phenomenal mileage these days.  What ultras have you got lined up?

• Trex..are you sure you want to do this event? Is it a LDWA event?

Only have my one ultra in July. Thunder Run 24 as a solo runner..that will kill meimage

• Brer sounded fun in the snow that one !!

T-Rex hope it all goes well.

Will have to hit some of my local trails in the morning image
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

They've reduced the route to a two-lap, lower, "safe" route of only 39K image.  It'll mean I've got to cram in another marathon somewhere.

Conditions in the Black Mountains are apparently very poor.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

image  Back at home.  Can't make it to the HQ from any direction.  Seemingly no-one can from Pontypool, Merthyr, or Leominster.  Only the happy campers who got there last night will have any chance of running.  Should have done that myself ...

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

brer - it's a Might Contain Nuts event.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

T Rex- Hate to say this, but I am GLAD that you can't make it!!!!! Running carrying the injuries you've got is only asking for trouble, mate....

And possibly for anyone who had to come and get you!!!! 

Rest up and RECOVER properlyimage

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

That was going to be a RECOVERY run ...

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Bad luck everyone whose events have been cancelled this weekend our clubs fell race has been cancelled too

running going well up to now but left knee has been giving me some alarming twinges the last couple of days which i'm not impressed with - may use the excuse of the weather to rest it this weekend image and hopefully all will be ok

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    San Domenico 20 cancelled tomorrow- in case anyone planning on running it. Also FoD Half image

My 10k is still on so far....
  • jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Sorry for all those whose races cancelled this weekend, really frustrating!

In my quest for speed I knocked a few more secs off my 5k time at parkrun image no snow, but V cold/windy/muddy! I'm SO going to smash my PB in a flat 5k!

• It wasnt meant to be Trex, it was a sign.image Snow even heavier here today so have had mad lash across the fields with mad dog, feel like I've been steamrollered now! Hope knee better soon Chrissi, well done Jenf and good luck for tomorrow JD, it must be about the only event still on tomorrow!