Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

9m for me today, including my last track session pre VLMimage After a wind-free morning, it was, needless to say, gusting away by the time I hit the trackimage. This, along with the ambitious pace, soon took its toll- like running through treacle down the home straight! lol! 9m total with 3x1m off 3min recoveries- splits for the miles tell the sorry story:image 5.30, 5.39, 5.49. Still, not too shabby- think I should have carbed last night though- forgot my sweet potato! Running intervals fuelled by salmon and rocket not recommendedimage

• LOL JD, have bought out the entire stock of vits etc from Sainsburys plus blueberries, oranges and bananas. Not feeling as rough today but having another day off tomorrow. Plan now if all is well on Saturday is:  14 Saturday, Spin class on Sunday, 7 miles on Monday, Spin Tuesday, *FA* ON Wednesday except meetings, dog walk and pack, Thursday 4 miles, Friday-crawl up the wall!!

9 miler sounded good today for youimage

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    hi all. just back from a 4 day break without phone or internet. Quite liberating actually! managed a few hilly runs and was quite proud of the fact that 2 years ago I had to stop n walk up said hills but this week I hit the top n kept running!

panad- good to hear you're back out on your feet.

brer , your week plan sounds good. Good luck

So JD. what is your carb load plan? what naughty stuff do you allow yourself?

did anyone else try those chocolate hot cross buns from m&s? I think they're great carb load material. image
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

Brer- hope the recovery continuesimage

jenf- cor, you get around, don't you?image Good running- must be all these Parkruns! See you tomorrow? Carb loading: my plan is to continue to keep carbs LOW until Friday morning then carb load via sweet potato and (when away) potatoes. Will also revert to breakfast cereal for these days. Then on the day, gels at 6, 12, 18 and 22m and Lucozade Sport at each station it's availableimage i.e. train low and race high! Will also have sweet potatoes at home Sunday and again Monday, then back to low carbing. Well, you did ask!image

Disaster this morning- NO smoked salmon left! Had to make do with a couple of bananas for breakfastimage. Lunch was leftover sliced sirloinon a bed of rocket and tonight I made a spicy chicken tikka masala with a low carb cauliflower "rice"- fab!imageimage 6.4ishm recovery run for me this evening- in the wind, of course....

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Where is everyone?image

• JD- you are a textbook trainer now, carb depletion then overload-is this something you are experimenting with? Very interesting to hear the results of your change in nutrition thoughimage

Well, feel really crap, most of evidence of cold has gone I think..may be it is just depression-back to work when the sun is shining. Have packed for London, still missing the vibe though..a week before Snods..I'm usually high as a kiteimage (legally!)

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

brer- the carb cutting has been an eye-opener. Losing weight by following a relatively high fat, high protein and no grain diet- around 5lbs in last 2 weeksimage Saving the nervous energy isn't a bad thing- you'll be plenty excited on your way to the start a week Sunday, if not at the expo!image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Morning allimage

Smoked salmon and rocket back on the menu this morningimage, followed by 8.71m in 1.05.35, including Parkrun jogimage

• Hey, London lack of mojo issue resolvedimage  Went for my final 12 miler as recommended by good old P and D, did 18image Oh well!

However, as trotting along, I realised it was the fact that I had imposed a target time of 3hr 30 mins on myself. This  was adding to the already present feeling of impending chaos and organisational nightmare that this event seems to be having on me. So, no target-enjoy the day and learn from it. Already feel a shed-load better about it all now.  Jason, I'll see you about an hour after you've finishedimage

Packing done, just got to iron my name on to my Macmillan vest and dish out some sponsorship flyers to the neighbours.

BTW Diolch Panadimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Hey, Brer- just to get you in the mood, I just found a vid of yours truly in FOURTH place in last year's London Marathon! Ok, so it was fromthe green start and didn't last long... Lol! image

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=oxa6OgnTQdU&desktop_uri=/watch?v=oxa6OgnTQdU
  • jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Awww guys, I really have marathon envy now, so wish I was doing one this spring!

Really glad you found London mojo brer, I think you are right, its all too easy to put goals n targets ahead of the real reason to run... to ENJOY! image

How can I sponsor you brer? JD are you running to raise money, if so same question to you. Also T rex ??

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Jenf- thanks, but I'm not fundraising this time round image
  • Hey JD-are you in green start this time? I am. Will look at you tube clip in a bit.

Thanks Jenf, you are right. Enjoy it I certainly will nowimage Msge me and I'll send you the link for justgiving, money is going to Macmillan Cancer Support. Many thanks to you, very kind.

More money had been pledged when I got in from my run which further boosted my attitude.

Message for Panad- Dym mynydd ar ol 21 milltir, dim ond 35,000 o bobl eraill i'w hosgoi!image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    No Brer- red fast GFA again this year image
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭

Brer, JD,anyone else doing london do you know your nos yet? let us know them when you do so we can stalk you!

Don't worry Brer -JD will clear the way for you image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    I am number 32025 image
  • ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Jenf - well done on getting up those hills - i still fell brill when i run all be it like a snail up a hill that i use to have to walk

JD - low carb's and your mileage is impressive but what on earth is cauliflower rice ?????

Brer - glad your ok i know London didn't hit me till i got to the expo and looked at the message wall.  Going in the morning was weird hundreds of people all carrying the same kit bag all being directed to tubes and trains but it was a great atmosphere. I found the start area the hardest it was all abit overwhelming there and felt abit lonely but once off the crowds are brilliant. And wear your medal with pride when you go our in the evening everyone does and it was a great way to get chatting.  Most of all ENJOY.

I had a really good hilly trail 10 miles yesterday at CyB image made up for having a c**p run Wednesday night were i slightly lost my bearings on the lower slopes of Cader, everyone else had dissappeared and i had a mild panic attack.  Turned out ok in the end i actually wasn't that off course - guess learning not to panic is part of learning the navigation stuff though.

Have a great week everyone

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Chrissi- well done on the run and the nav image Cauliflower 'rice' is basically cauliflower grated to the size of rice grains- adds texture and bulk without the carbs of rice.

Forgot to add extra carbs before my longer run though! Oops! As a result struggled through today's 12 and found it hard work, even at 7.15 av. Still, done and dusted now! Recarbing before VLM, needless to say image
  • Cheers for that Chrissi and thanks Jenfimage

What's your plan for rest of week JD? Going to try and be very disciplined this week and not do stupid mileage. Weighed myself this morning, not done this for a while and was shocked by the catastrophic weight loss.Normally I am around 7 stone but this has plummeted to 6 stone 9. I've got to re-fuel and rest a bit this week I reckonimage.(Apparently, this is around optimum weight for elite marathon runners of my height-ha, i might win then!!)

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Brer- oh dear on being elite weight- don't expect sympathy here! Eat some chips, woman! image

My plan is all about slow recovery runs and a few strides to maintain turnover, with the exception of weds when I'm running 7m easy and 2 at MP as a dress rehearsal - following P and D 80m + nearly to the letter
  • JD-had a shitload of chips at lunchtimeimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Such a delightful turn of phrase.....
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Perhaps brer meant 'shipload' - much more polite.

13 miles yesterday evening out and back.  Back slightly faster than out and total time 1:58:37 which is quite a big improvement for me in terms of speed.  Managed to get to mile 9 before had to run with my left hand on my hip resting the arm.  Strong PKs are going to be the order of the day at the Llanelli start line on Sunday.

My first foray into your neck of the woods, jason (and perhaps others on here).  I've been told to expect it to be windy.  What's that all about, then?

Good luck with the carb-depleting.  As long as you do some loading at some point you should be OK.

• Sorry gang, that was a very un-ladylike phrase..I meant I purchased a more than adequate portion of le French Friesimageimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Thoughts with everyone at Boston image
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
  • Ditto JD and TRex

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hello TR41.  How's things?

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

I have just had the WINDIEST run ever!!! The plan was to run 5 easy miles on the road, onto the track for 2 at MP and 1 easy. I actually stopped at one point on the track to laugh at the effort to keep moving forward! It was quite an adventure- i was running in the outside lane and had to fight round the bend into the home straight to saty on the track! A small bird took off from the track as I approached and was immediately blown into the fence- just managed to tilt his wings to take him over the top! Needless to say, I settled for marathon effort, rather than pace!! Turned out to be around 10-15 secs slower. Legs felt a bit stiff from Monday's massage at first, but soon loosened and running felt smooth and easy (allowing for the conditions!)image 8m in 1.00.01 ( if I'd only realised) splits: 8:15 8:22 8:06 7:45 7:44 6:24 6:23 7:03

That's it now- just slow and short recovery runs, culminating in 4m at one of the London parkruns, before Sunday's outingimage