Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• Decided to NOT race today image
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭

Lovely unexpected run for me this morning, cold and sunny - perfect - with clear views across to the mountains (which look even better with snow on their topsimage )

Enjoy bog&bryn TRex and Laudy

Brer - Hope you're going to buy a posh frock and practice your curtseys ready for Aprilimage

• TRex and Laudy- hope you had a good run. Not too much snow, I hope....image
  • No snow here, but plenty of rain! 10.03m of slow running and even slower wading through puddles and mud for me today. Legs still a bit heavy, so definitely the right decision not to race!
  • Walked coastal trail from Criccieth to Pwllheli with 2 miles of running in hiking boots and full clothes when a runner passed me on a stretch of road.
  • Pete- nice one! image

No sign of T Rex or Laudy yet then?
  • LaudyLaudy ✭✭✭

Survived in one piece and without falling over (unlike my other half!) but legs obviously weren't fully recovered from last week as found it really tough and pretty painful in places!  

Really cracking run, I really enjoyed itimage  The course was a real quagmire due to all the rain so it definitely lived up to the name, although Bog and Stile may have been more appropriate as there were millions of  sodding thingsimage  I will leave the full race review to T Rex as it will be a far more entertaining read than I could possibly manage.  

Great bunch of runners, really friendly atomsphere, had a nice chat with a few others who did SNOD last week.  Big thumbs up from me, how did you find it T Rex?  Only downside was the lack of showers for the ladiesimage Trying to wash that much mud off in a sink with cold water was not much fun, especially when you come out to find the men had a nice hot shower!!!

• Oh, how cold is it?image

Beautiful stretch of coastal walking along there Pete, hope you overtook him!!

Just booked Christmas hols post Portsmouth marathon. I nearly booked a Romany caravan but then noticed you don't have any toilet/washing facilitiesimage. So, a rural retreat with log burner and full cleansing facilities available somewhere near Brighton is the destination

Panad, when the queen buys a new dress for me and practises her curtsies back then I'll respondimageimage

• Laudy- well done! I saw a photo on the Facebook page for the Bog and Bryn that gave some idea of the conditions! image
  • Brer- sounds great!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Bog and Bryn 20K, 4 Nov

Nice one, Laudy.  I may or may not have met you on the course?  Who knows.

Made a great change for me to got to an event with no kit/logistics considerations to think about, and the HQ only a 5-minute jog from my house. And from the finish area only a 10-minute walk home. I passed up the post-race refreshments and shower, walking straight home and hosing myself down in the garden first before going indoors for a nice hot shower. 

Unfortunately the vicar's wife who lives opposite chose the point while I was halfway through my ablutions in the (front) garden to enquire after Mrs T Rex's health, which was bit awkward.

This was the first race where I have had to wash my number before I could put it up on the wall.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

As Laudy said, a very muddy course indeed, but after a time you get used to it and it wasn't really an issue by the end.  Leading up to stiles and at entering and exit points of woods there was no option other than to go through mud (and other substances) well over the ankles, occasionally deeper.  One poor lass just in front of me slipped on one of these sections and took a tumble right into the mud.

So there were muddy field sections and muddy wooded sections and a few hills (mostly muddy), also some tarmac (often flooded).  Looking at the OS map I thought I knew most of these paths from previous walks and runs but I found a lot of them this morning to be new to me.  This can only mean that in the past I must have been on non-paths and perhaps removing brushwood and cutting barbed wire fences blocking "paths" was not called for image.  Nor blundering through nettles and bramble thickets.  We met no such obstacles on the course.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Even though it felt to me I was putting in a strong effort it took me about 2:06 to get around the course.  I have a feeling most runners were ahead of me and I wasn't overtaking runners in the final stages as I can usually do in races.  I think a lot of entrants were good standard club runners.

There were marshals in all sorts of unexpected and helpful places dispensing encouragement and elsewhere the course was amply waymarked with red-and-white tape.

Can really recommend this one for a post-SNOD outing.

• LaudyLaudy ✭✭✭

Perfectly summed up T Rex.  You came in just behind me as I finished in 2.05 so guessed we probably passed at some pointimage

• I was so tempted to do that race T rex..definitely one for next year if they run it again........

i'm not sure about snowdon next year..to do it teh first time in such beautiful conditions.not sure that i could beat the occassion next time..............

I was amazed at the numbe rof cars with parking tickets on them this year...so many people parked on the road......glad i got there early

• ffRAN wrote (see)
    Caity. - seems to be rush of nutters who can't wait to sign up in the New Year then the limit's reached gradually. But on the FB page there's plenty of people offloading their impetuosity, second thoughts or injuries. Transfers allowed until Sept sometime.

Thanks very much ffRAN! Think I'll join in next year then!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

It's going to be hard keeping this one on the first page but we ought to try.

Next year is going to be the Abingdon-SNOD double again for me.  I can hardly expect a PB at Abingdon (as in 2008) but you never know.  I suppose if I did proper training it would help.

I'm nearly as bad as BritNick for that (I'm sure he wouldn't mind me saying so).

• Hello all, very quiet on here!! TRex, when is Abingdon next year? Quite fancy that one.

• A clubmate of mine really raved about this years Abingdon, but he is really into fast, dull, PB races! He said that it filled up in super quick time and he will be doing it again!

I also understand that the Trail marathon (& half) are not far off their race number limit -  I am not surprised after what I experienced last year - one of the best organised races I have done and probably the best value race I've done - I am sure that the contents of the goody bag and the other freebies were worth more than their entry fee alone

• (sorry b r - Abingdon was 6 days before the Snowdonia Marathon this year)

• Hey guys. Just joined the site, mmmmmm technophobic me will struggle. Anyway loved it again this year (my second). I look forward to this being a yearly event for me, it's that good!

• I've entered the Welsh Trail Marathon next year. Looks a great race. Like JB said, it's nearly full so if your thinking of entering you better be quick. There's a half marathon option too. Welcome to the site Joe
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭

hi guys, getting back into the daily grind after half-term.  Back to cycling to work, and trying to slowly bring the running back in a bit more frequently as well.  Done a few short runs (legs feel good, just need to take it slowly with the cycling as well!), and hoping to go and investigate some of the offa's dyke path tomorrow with mr panad image

• very very tough but loved it. Finally got in early enough as its usually full by the time i remember its on

• Snod, Abingdon or Chester............ Hmmmmm.....
  • I want to do this next year but the missus reckons my knee won't manage it, as I got sore round a half marathon a couple weeks ago. Evidently I need to persuade her otherwise and start training....
  • Looks like it will be the TMW full route again and Snod for me as the big ones next year . 2014 I'm hoping to do the Barcelona Marathon it has a course profile very similar to Abingdon and looks like a good one for a PB average temp around 17 celcius.

Anyone here ran it before ?

LLo

• JD-all three of course!!image

I wont be doing Abingdon if its week before Snod though.Cheers for info anyway John Bach.

Welcome aboard new folks, Steve 'just do it' as they sayimage

I signed up for what is the closest I'll get to an Ultra last night. Thunder Run 24 as a soloistimage. Basically, start at 12pm Saturday lunchtime and run as many 10k laps as you can off road in 24 hrs. I did it as part of a team this year but next year, I'm on my own. I reckon I could manage 15 laps without dyingimage

• God Brer Rabbit and there's me worrying about a little marathon!! Think the missus might be happier if I tried a marathon closer to home (North Devon) as I don't drive. Might have to work a North Wales holiday in to the conversation somehow when I ask her....

I'll just have to bite the bullet and start running seriously. A marathon will take some doing as the 17st lump that I am loves the races but hates the training, as I train on my own. Any motivational ideas welcomed.....
  • brer- lol! Nope to all 3- or even a double 6 days apartimage Good luck with your run (nutter!image)

Legs seem to be recovering nicely post Snod 2012image : 4.01m tempo run on the track (mainly for floodlights!) for me tonight in 23.51 (5.57av) and 2.01m warm down in 13.54 (6.55 av)image