Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

HOORAY!!!!image

NEW ROUTER HAS ARRIVED!!!!imageimage

Hello again, everyoneimage

• Welcome back JD image

Chimney check out my fetch profile for splits if you can't let me know will put them on here next time i am on laptop.

Legs ok here did 6 mile yesterday all seems to be working image
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Welcome back JD. So how was the analogue days then?

TR41, yep, just checked it out. I'm an idiot, it hadn't crossed my mind.  Love the 4th mile, 20 minutes and 96 calories. Bet you burnt a tad more than 96 doing it! You can really see the profile of the mountain in the times. Good running mate.

Rest day Monday, knees still feeling a tad used yesterday so didn't run. Did take the dogs out for a 6m walk with a few strides. Can't really twist it in my head that it was training of a description!

Not that I'd tell her as such, but I really do miss Mrs C when she's away. She went off to Exmoor with a couple of friends leaving me home alone. Monday I hardly ate, yesterday I ate less. Just didn't feel hungry. It's always the same when she goes away. To day, until she got home about 7 when I became ravenously starving in a Could eat a scabby horse sort of way, all I'd had was a chocky shake after my run.

So, I really didn't expect much from the run today, not having fuelled in anyway whatsoever. Gobsmacked though, one of the fastest averages I've had for a loooong time, about 600' of ascent,  8 1/4 miles. If you use Fetch, you know that new thing they've put in this month, fastest 400m/800m/1000m/1200m/mile. Todays run is topping every one.

So anyone got any clues why my body decided to put in a performance when I was expecting a poor, hard, slow run?

On a separate note, Mrs C saw something about this and wants a spin next time we're up that way. Anyone fancy it on the Sunday?

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Hi! 

Having recovered from Outlaw I'm now cranking the miles back up for my first crack at Snowdonia,  so hello to everyone!

My question is, and I apologise if the answer is 50 pages back and I missed it, but can anyone tell me what is on offer at the feed stations, particularly the gels ... I like to train with whatever is on offer on the day, if I can

Thanks

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Welcome back JD

Britrisky - they had high 5 gels and electrolyte last year

Chimney - my friend did that for her birthday she said you get up to about 80mph image

Brer - good luck this weekend image

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Afternoon,

Hi Britsrisky, iirc, water in cups at the first two, then mostly in bottles after that. Cups of water or energy @ 16m where theree's also some cake/flapjack or something? Haven't partaken before. About 10ish miles in there's a family on the left that have done oranges before, nothing to do with the race I think so not to be relied on. I think I've seen jelly beans, or maybe that's just some very nice & kind spectators. There's a map download on the mara website showiing where feeding stations are around the route, also a profile, it's surprising how they managed to find a flat course amongst those mountains......image of course all this is based on previous years and can't guarentee it will be the same this year. One of the sponsors again is High5, you can get a gel or two at registration though can't remember seeing any on the course.

With the combined memorys of the others on here you should get a farily good idea of what there will likely be. 

Went out for 6m this morning, about 400' ascent. Went fast for the first 2/3's were the hills are, then slowed down for the 2m home along the flat. Pretty pleased with the result. I'm sure I'm more efficient running around the 8m/m mark, just need to get back the fitness to do it over the mara now! 

Thinking of making it a double day and doing a steady 5 later this evening, just on the pavements round town for a change.

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Got side-tracked before I hit submit. 

80mph, that'll do image 

Good point with the wishes to Brer, fair play to her for taking that on as an individual. 

• It sounds like I'd be better off taking my own gels and to rely on what's available on the day 

thanks for the swift response!

• Hey gang, good evening one and allimage

Just been packing for the Thunder Run expedition, holy hell have got to be organised for this baby. 3 Garmins charged, 7 prs shorts/ 9 tops/6 sports bras/ 10 prs socks/enough food/gels to get us all around Snowdonia marathon, plus 4 headtorches. May need a truck to take it all. Plan is still to just keep plodding for 24 hrs but have had to pack stuff just in case I have to quit.

Thanks for best wishes my friends, I will carry them with me around my biggest 'outside of the comfort zone' event so farimage

• Good luck Brer - irony that Catton Hall is about 8 miles down the road from where I live, and I'll be in Keswick this weekend!  Loads from our club going ... look for the Peel tent - you'll be made most welcome image

Having had a "sabbatical" from running for three weeks due to work and stuff, finally got back into it this week and pleased to say that the rest might have done me a bit of good.   Don't feel as though I've lost much fitness, which is a relief.   Now need to start upping mileage into double figures image

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Good luck Brer! Go Girl! Just enjoy it image

Legs not too bad here, managed a few short plods since Saturday, the cooler weather definitely much appreciated!
  • ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

brer ipod ( or iplod for me) a bit of music may help if it the going gets tough. 

• Is anybody looking for a place for this? (Un)Fortunately due to my wifes due date I'm out so happy to do an official transfer.

I've also got 2 nights book at a Travelodge about 6 miles away that could transferred.

If interested probably best to email me - greg_bowie AT yahoo.co.uk

Best of luck to everyone - hope the training is going well! image

• Brer good luck my mad mate!!

Chimney like the look of that baby !!
  • Just been to register and get that stuff out of the way but came home for a decent night's kip rather than camp there tonight. I am now just going to treat it as a jaunt, weather looking a bit rubbish so I just need to cover marathon distance before I quit to hit number 11 of 2013 targetimage

Chrissi..have iplod ready just in case nothing else can get me motivated.

Cheers Panad and TR41....let battle commence at 12 noon tomorrow!

Sorry to hear about folks not being able to take part in the little jolly around Snod, see you next year instead

• Sorry SD, hi-how are you matey? Hoping to catch up with Run Boy tomorrow!

• Good Luck Brer, you should be OK, is the weather forecast that rubbish? 

Yippee to setting course records and upping the mileage everyone but Boo to having to drop out of stuff (even if the reason is a new baby!). Not sure I could eat a scabby horse under any circumstances although I have just left a container of unwashed raspberries out and hubby ate them without looking- complete with grubs. 

Sciatica is better but have been taking things steady anyway as creaking and cracking a fair bit! Bought a new bike today in the hope some cross training may help. Not impressed that SNOD give out gels - would rather have chocolate on route after buggering London with toilet stops as a result of foolishly taking the gels on offer. 

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Morning All,

SD, After three weeks hopefully you won't notice a thing. Pretty much had a sabbatical from running for a year which did have the effect of letting some of the niggles improve. Completely ignored the Work yourself back in gently bit and crossed fingers the wheels haven't fallen off yet. Long run fitness still a bit poop, speed coming back. You'll be fine.

Britrisky, I tend to take my own gels, just easier.

MovingAlong, Commiserations & Congratulations in equal measure, see you next year, if you've caught up on your sleep by then......image

TR41, gotta be done. a mile down a zip wire sounds like a good craic.

Camlo, so grubs are part of the 5-a-day then? Or just part of your hubby's? Going for a proper paleo diet?! Good to hear the sciatica is better. I really should get on my bike more often to do a bit of XT, won't hurt so much when I decide to do silly things again!

Did my double on Thursday, 6m in 49m in the morning, 5m in 45m in the evening. Forgotten how much the legs complain at first on the second run before they ease. Should do it once/twice a week, does seem to make a difference over time from memory.

No running yesterday, just walked the dogs for 4m and walked into town & back, about 2m.

Went out today for 4m, noted that tomorrow is 13m. Usually I'll jog the first half mile until I get to where I can let the dogs off the lead the other side of the golf course. I'd had to do a few sprints to avoid other dogs this morning (Foxy is of the Bite first then run away school of thought) and noted that the first half mile was at a pace of 7.9mph. Can't remember the last time I'd seen that.

As far as I was concerned consciously this was great and I'd just continue on with my planned run. I'd guess my subconscious was working on a different plan. At the mile mark I have to put the dogs back on leads to cross a road. Saw I was now at an average of 8.2mph, last seen in August last year at a parkrun. Given I'd been on lumpy grass tracks for most of that 1st mile, I was quite impressed. As I set off again, the subconscious was starting to take over. Another half mile and another road crossing. Average still 8.2. The next half mile is a 1/3 - 2/3 split track & tarmac. Average now 8.3. And then the flat ends, followed by the just over a mile climb up to the common, in act it's about 1.1m. You can see where I'm going now. My little brain was wondering, " Hmm, wonder what I can do the 5k in......".

As it happens, I could do it one minute off my PB for Newbury ParkRun. Really quite impressed, especially given the terrain and ascent I'd used. 2m to get home so just jogged, at 7.6mph, massively faster than I should have gone. Just what was in my food last night?

Now for the problem. Yep, very happy with the speed, not surprised the legs are feeling a bit used at the moment. But really wished I hadn't looked at the wrong week. Allegedly 18m tomorrow not 13. 13 is next week.....

• I'm back...and am brokenimage My first ultramarathon 24 hr event was fantastic, scary and varied..mainly due to the weather. The 10 km circuits through the forest were very pleasant until the thunder, lightning and rain hit Thunder Run 24. After that, it was a battle for survival or just give up as many people did I believe.

I managed 11 laps-68 miles and came 6th lady. Am trashed beyond anything I've ever known mainly because of the conditions however as 12 laps was my target, I am pleased. I did have 40 mins to spare where I could have headed off to do another lap before the mid day finish today however I had no kit left that would have got me round. All 5 prs of trainers were absolutely beyond use and anyway, I couldnt face the mud againimage Chimney, I believe it will be a competition this week as to whose legs are feeling most used and abusedimage

• Well done Brer you are an inspiration !

• Cheers Nurse Gladys, you are very kindimage. I'm going to bed now as am hallucinating about lightningimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Chimney- nuts, but well done on the speedimage

Talking of nuts... well done brer- you looney! LOL!image

I got Friday's missed 5.7m run done this morning before marshalling at Tenby 10k- great turn out- must have been 500 runners. Spent the rest of the afternoon on the beach in Tenby with the family in the sun. What a change this evening!! Almost cancelled tonight's run cos of the monsoon conditions, but it let up so I risked it.... Got 8.14m done and got home just before the heavens opened again- never seen rain like it either!!! PHEW- lucky escapeimageimage No long run today as my schedule starts on a Sunday (although I don't...) and it is a RECOVERY WEEKimageimage. Due to mismatch between my week and the schedule week, this week's mileage is a bit less and next week's (with the LR) will be a bit more... Weekly stats: 92.47m in 11.49.28 (7.40 av)

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Well done Brer! Try having a rest for a few days at least nowimage
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

68 miles?  Great job, brer.  And trying to look stylish at the same time with all those changes of clothes. Full report when you're ready.

Only counts as one marathon unfortunately.

Finally finished my ultramarathon of a different sort this evening and can begin to emerge from life away from the computer screen.

• John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

lol brer - I tried to follow the progress of the tr24 - quite extreme weather (even for Snowdonia standards!?), although it sounds as if the camaraderie between the runners was excellent and it was a great event, but I'm sure a lot of running kit will have been binned at the end of it!? Da iawn/well done - serious respect for doing it solo (I thought the relay event was nuts enough!)

After reporting on the return of my running mojo and my 1st 15+mile run since the beginning of April, the situation at home has made it even more difficut to don my running trainers and go for a run - haven't run since/in over 2 weeks now. Hopefully I'll be able to bag a couple of hilly 20 milers in the next two and a half months - including, hopefully, this cracking race which returned last year - a great event to do as training for Snowdonia (not least because it includes the Rhyd Du - Waunfawr stretch and contains two notable climbs, including one in the last 3miles - turning left before Waunfawr):

http://www.eryriharriers.org.uk/4-lakes-30k/

• Just to save raising anybodies hopes - my marathon place has just gone.

Still 2 nights available in a Travelodge though...

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Brer - Very Well Done and i second Nurse Gladys you are an inspiration.  Don't know how you kept going in thunder and lightning that's what freaked me out and finished me off on my 1st Snod attempt.image Recover well this week lot's of treats and rest.

JB - hope things are improving for you.  Going to check out that link in a minute.

I registered and timed at our local 5 miler on Saturday love doing that cos you see (and try to reassure) nervous people at the beginning then get to see them cross the finish line with huge grins. 

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm back from hols!!  I had a fab time, ran nearly every morning at sunrise, and a few sunset ones as well! Really really enjoyed, didnt worry about pace, just clocked up the miles and chilled. Now I now why I love running image

Back to my serious SNOD plan this week, but I am feeling far more confident about hills cos our villa was at the top of a long big one...so no getting away from them!!

celebrations out there too, as my eldest daughter got engaged!

Brer, you are amazing! that was some mega solo attempt! Well done!

and well done to everyone keeping up the running in the UK heatwave! Now its monsoon season?? image 

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Grrr, had just nearly finished a post (Yes, normal length), when the page suddenly went back to latest posts all by itself. Not happy. image

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Lets try again. Or maybe RW is trying to tell me something! 

Brer, No competition on the legs, you are, are. I don't know. Just wow. To carry on in that lot takes some mental strength let alone the physical side of putting one foor in front of the other. 

JD, no long run, easy week, it shows. I mean, only 92m. Was it worth it? image 

T Rex, Welcome back, so when does lesson planning start?!

JB, looks fun, fits in well with SNOD, I can tent it and do a bit of climbing in the pass the day before. Cemetary Gates is calling....... Hope the world starts rolling round you soon. 

JenF, dodgy timing eh? You go when we have a heatwave, and come back when it's raining! Well done on keeping the running up while you were away, that's always been the hardest for me as Mrs C likes to walk 15-20m up mountains when we're away. Really don't feel like doing a lot of running.

Right. So I'm faster than I thought at the moment, or fitter, or it was simply a case of the cooler weather, or a combination of the three. 

Sunday I didn't do 18. I didn't even do 13. I decided that whilst I could have done either, I did also want to traing and not miss an extra day as I did last week.

Decided I would do 3 days of off road 10m / 850ft of ascent each day. Did the first yesterday and went easy, 1:28. Went harder today, 1:24, and was still feeling way too fresh so did the last 2 miles in 7:50 and then 7:15. So do I aim for 1:20 tomorrow on the basis that I can't actually trust my body when it says it's knackered? Hmm, that maybe a bit too much of a stretch.

When I started running again recently, I was quite disappointed how slow I was, how hard it felt, but hardly surprised given the lack of running. I kept myself going with thoughts of how much faster I was than when I first started training, how much further I could run etc, all just mental props but they work.

So, I'm now maybe getting a bit too far the other way and think I'm faster/fitter than I am just because I had a good week. Still, 3 months to go to SNOD so plenty of time to figure out which.

And I now have three training races ( I say race, more of a walk in the country where I happen to be running perhaps! ).

18th August Belper Rugby rover 30k (Thanks Brer)

15th September South Cheshire 20m

22nd September 4 lakes 30k.

Not really a training race as I'm going to see what I can do on a flat road, and see just how far behind Brer I will be....

20th October Abingdon Mara (Really, was that a good idea the weekend before SNOD?!)

Wondering if I should look for a half sometime early September, don't think I can fit it in anywhere else.....