Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• TRex - image - can you ever just go for a run?

First run back with Club last night after hols in Keswick.   Legs felt very heavy after virtually no running, but loads of fell walking/scrambling.   Need to start getting some longer runs in asap image

• good to hear the beacons were welcoming as usual Trex, keep meaning to venture there as Brecon is only half an hour from me but i am a wee bit scared of being shot... would you mind if I tagged along one day? I promise not to bring my Archie though (age 4, talks all the time and only has 2 legs). 

Love the idea of a mary Poppins descent off Snowdonia...... now where is my brolly? 

• Hiya gang, good to see some positive training going on here!sd-hope you had good hols up there in the Lakes. Camlo, loved 3 Peaks walk and have registered interest in doing the running event next year.

JD..awesome stats again-well done.

Trex..you would have enjoyed Hardmoors trail marathon on Sunday..some dear little youths went around course on Bmx bikes moving the tape markers!!! 'twas a hoot ESP for someone as navigation ally challenged as me. BUT....somehow came in 1st lady and got a whopper of a trophyimage

Good luck with racing that train Chrissi...massive fun event!

Where's Chimney gone? Has he disappeared into the depths of the Dark Peak bog on a training run?image

• Well done Brer that's awesome! Really hope you get First Lady at Snowdonia that will be the icing on the cake!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

You'll need to get a bigger cabinet for all these trophies, brer.  It seems the more marathons you enter, the more you win!

Camlo - good idea, and yes you might want to leave your Archie at home. My last recce run in the Beacons for the time being will be next Tue or more likely Wed taking in the main peaks of the central Beacons. It'll be about 12 miles and 6 peaks and probably take 4-5 hours (allowing for mishaps).  That's something I need to warn you about - my runs aren't always orthodox.  I often find myself having to overcome various difficulties.  Being shot at to date hasn't been one of them, thankfully, although there is always a first time for everything ...

If not on this occasion then there will be plenty of others.  I intend to do quite a lot of running in the Beacons over the next couple of years and have an ambitious plan for a run that I don't think has been done before, which I hope to be able to do should fading years and failing health permit.

Hi, Nurse G. What are you up to these days?  Are you on the list for SNOD?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

stilldreaming -  I set out with the intention of just going for a run ...

• Brer - congratulations!!   We need a photo of this trophy!!  Dare I ask what your next outing is?   I'm toying with doing the Belper Rugby Rover this Sunday, but a bit nervous due to lack of training.   Looking at people's times, it seems there are usually quite a few slower runners, but what do you reckon?   How does the course compare with TMW etc?

NG - welcome back image

• Will take photo but don't know how to put it on here! Anyone know?

Rugby Rover is ace, really chilled. You set off from the rugby ground and on tarmac for a very short while the you are on to a grassy path next to river. Loads of stiles so slow pace. You go on to the nastiest bit then up a hill and up a track. TBH most people just bimble up this bit. Then you are back on to tarmac for quite a while-flattish until you get to the point where you go up to the radio masts. Again, bimbling allowed! On then for quite a while until you get to a wood where the trail is taped, might be a bit slippy if it rains here on Saturday. Then over tarmac road again and back into Belper via riverside path. It really is ace, loads of walkers too so you wouldnt feel inhibited, but I'm off to Enigma land for another marathon otherwise I'd see you.

Next mega challenge is Run to the Castle (Harlech) Ultra next weekend, random last minute entryimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Brer- well done! To insert your photo click on the add photo icon- picture of a tree image

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Brer - will be interested in the reports from the Ultra - it's on my doorstep and on my dream list (well to do an ultra is and this one is almost too convienient)

Starting to wonder if i've lulled myself into a false sense of security over RTT i've convinced myself it's not as hard as TMW. But am now worrying that it is image All silly I know i need to trust my training and have more confidence in what i can do but i never do and it stops me doing so much more.

• Chrissi-its not as hard as TMW, the hardest bit is staying upright when going back towards town along a very hilly bank. It was so muddy when I did it, it was just a case of slithering along helping each other along. Best laugh of an event..I got back to car absolutely ditched with mud and just walked straight into sea, medal aloft to get clean. You'll love it! Just wait till you hear those drums just before the start-wow!

Right, off to find camera and trophy-both still buried in luggageimage

• Hiya, folks.

Had a total nightmare at Lakeland 100, didn't get beyond CP6 (Blencathra Centre) a measly 41+ miles.  Feet feel to pieces. image

So I'm looking to have a good training period from 2nd September up to SNOD 13 and hopefully a course PB.

Anybody else aiming for sub-3:50?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hi FR - Lakeland 100 is brutal in the extreme.  You did OK.  Mostly in the night as well?

Don't know what I'm aiming for, yet.  My SNOD PB is 3:59.

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Brer - Thank you for reminding me of how much fun RTT actually is - i'd completely blanked that in my silly wobbly panic.  Feeling so much better today image.  After last nights rain it is definately going to be muddy Mr C may throw me into the sea before he'll let me in the car.

FR - sorry your Ultra didn't go well.

• Sorry to hear that FR..come to Thunder Run next yearimage

That'll do me TRex!

Hey, go Chrissi...

Right, tried to upload photo using tree icon but it says my photo is too big. Now, what do I do JD?

• Thanks for the comments, TRex, Chrissi and BR.

Ego is battered and bruised but have gone back to my 'best' event and did 21:13 at a 5k race on Wednesday evening.  Felt really good image

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Survived image 2hrs 42.5m which is a massive 27 mins faster than last time i did it !!!!!!!!

Pretty standard to 1/2 way heavy drizzle bit of a breeze and alot flatter than i remembered but only managed to get past a few people when they stopped to watch the train.  Then at 1/2 way the rain and wind really picked up as did the difficulty but it wasn't that bad and i started passing people.  Now for the bit to rival a TRex adventure, instead of picking my way slowly and carefully thru the bog i decided to just go for it and ended up splatted in the middle. I had visions of not being able to get up and having to crawl out but laughing hysterically i got up and waded out absolutely covered head to toe in mud. I really wish i had a picture there was a photographer just after but i don't know who.  So anyway off i went and now i was glad it was raining heavily cos it did wash me down abit, and i just carried on managing to pass quite a few more people and feeling really strong.  Lots of people up the finishing mile into Tywyn despite the weather and Mr C and a whole gang of my family were there to cheer me over the line.  A few runners at the end asked if i was ok had i fallen and thought it was hysterical when i said yes in the bog, they said i got the award for muddiest finisher they's seen. Had to wash my kit twice and i'm not sure if my shoes will ever be the same again.

Brilliant day.

• Yeh Chrissi..a brilliant day then,well done.I must return to that event again after I've finished mymarathon addictionimage 2nd lady and 4th overall today at Enigma Gold marathon. 

sd and Chimney..did you do Belper Rover today?

• Wow, Chrissie - that's brilliant .... and loving your way of emulating our hero, Mr Rex image  To knock 27 minutes off the last time you ran the race is amazing!

Loved the Belper Rugby Rover today.   Was seriously slow (30k in about 3:40), but the course was fab, the scenery amazing and the weather pretty much perfect for running. Couldn't fault the race - definitely one to do again image

FR - great recovery there!   Well done!

• Fantastic result Brer - more trophies for the cabinet imageimageimage Well done image

• Chrissi well done you sounds like a great day out!!!

Brer you on a roll girl!!!!

SD sounds a great race well done.

FR That is still a good run.

Well you lot put my 16.5 miles to same did it in 2:17:59 had only 900ft of climb and I burnt out on mile 16 was planning on doing 18, really got to build my endurance, quickly!!
  • Glad you enjoyed it SD, the 3 masts that you ran to are visible from my bedroom window. You had good weather too!

You'll be fine TR41, plenty of timeimage

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Brer - another good result well done

SD - i don't think i'm quite in TRex's league yet image glad you enjoyed your race

TR41 - don't worry you'll get back up there

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Chrissi - race the train sounds like it was great fun image

Brer - congratulations...again! You really are flying at the moment!

TR41 - don't worry mate, I'm really lacking in the endurance as well! Managed 13 miles today (longest run for 5 months!) and really struggled towards the end, the thought of doing that again is not good :-/ We're off away camping for the bank holiday weekend, then it is serious knuckle-down-and-run-time!

In other news the bloke who knocked me off my bike pleaded guilty to charges of driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention and has received a fine and 7 points on his licence. Hoping this means my claim for compensation will now go though smoothly...
  • well done on the mud splattering and podium finishing Chrissi and Brer. 

Panad - do they not set 'compensation' in court then. At least he pleaded guilty and didn't drag it out, hope you get what you should-  guessing cost of bike and kit as well as personal injury? 

Training for my ultra and a tri in Sep so balancing biking and learning to swim with my running.... have already fallen off bike getting used to clipped shoes and had an argument with my very tight wetsuit. image 

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Hi Folks. Back on line again. Gotta spend some time going back over the last couple of weeks posts, catch up with what everyone's been doing while I've been moving.

Brer, thanks for the nod to Belper Rover, good fun. Though I was struggling towards the end keeping up with a guy who was out for a jog after doing the lakes 100 a couple of weeks back image Ceilings & Floors eh?

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Excellent, Chrissi.  That's the way.  Especially the 'laughing hysterically' bit, which is most important.

Is that another marathon since Hardmoors, brer?  I thought you were supposed to be only doing one a month?  You seem to be doing one a week. There's no way you're pulling out of Abingdon.

Only 5 days until Ridgeway 85 which I feel a little unprepared for.  I will have another Brecon Beacons recce this week, this time a major one with 6 summits over 2000'.  That will just have to be enough in preparation.

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Panad - fingers crossed for claim

T-Rex - good luck for Ridgeway

Didn't want to run last night still felt quite tierd but decided to just see how it went, so plugged myself into my iplod (something i don't do often) and headed up the hill.  Legs quite stiff and heavy and felt all uncordinated so turned at 1.5 miles out and by the time i got home everything was all back to normal and i was smiling againimage

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Camlo - apparently not, police told me at the time I'd have to make a personal injury claim through the insurance company. No idea how much I should get, but solicitor seemed confident it should easily cover new bike/clothing/loss of earnings etc.

Feeling a bit stiff today after yesterday's run!

All the best for Ridgeway TRex, and anyone else up to anything over the bank holiday image
  • Chrissi: Way to conquer the bog! It great how a little recovery run can shake things out.

Brer: Another fine finish!

JD: Very speedy! I've got my annual 5k next Sunday. New age group should "help".

Panad & TR41: I'm only up to 14 miles but putting in a lot of midweek mileage (for me).

TRex: can't wait for your race story.

10 weeks(deg wythnos).... tick, tock