Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• Panad...my various choices have been tried and tested..and the winner is: Salomon Speedcross. They are brilliant, but I gather all Salomon range is well rated. Got innov8 pair but give me a back ache after due to lack of support. Hope that helps buddy.

• Panad - i'm in asics gel fuji attack at the moment which i love.  Got some Adidas Kanadia waiting in the wings (good sale bargin) but tread very aggressive so not sure how i'll get on with on road bits. Probably end up back in Asics image

Good 3 miles last night with dogs - the farmer had moved the sheep back which we didn't realise until confronted with them but dogs just ignored.  The hill definately seems to be getting easier tooimage

Off to enter Conwy half now image

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    That was what Mr panad said about the kanadia's when he saw a picture of them Chrissi! I definitely need something that will cope with sections of road and rock.

14.75 miles this morning in proper SNOD weather - could have actually done with some gloves for the first couple of miles until I'd warmed up! Legs held out ok, but it was exhausting - though the cat waking me up at 4.30 probably didn't help with that!
  • Salomons cope with both very well.I reckon they sell them at Cotswold Outdoors in Betwy Y Coed Panad ifyou wanted to take a look. 20 miles just done in Autumnal weatherimage

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Well done Brer! Will check the Salomon's out next week image
  • Hi, everyone - I'll be joining you as well. Just noticed the posts about trail shoes - will I really need them? I thought it was only the last hill that was off-road?

Haven't been training in my trail shoes / off road at all image

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    No britrisky, don't worry, it's road shoes for this one, I just need new trail shoes!
  • 9.5 mile trail run this afternoon checking out the route of our clubs new trail race ( its a good one) took me through the woods where we use to ride ghe horses in my first job - lots of happy memories. managed to avoid the heavy showers too. 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hello people.  Good to hear all the news and have some new folks to join the race and the thread.  Welcome and we hope you enjoy the amazing experience that is SNOD marathon.  We all think it's up there with the best if not the best.

I've just come back from my latest adventure, a little 24-hour challenge in the Brecon Beacons.  Possibly the closest to the edge (in more ways than one!) I've ever been in my life, especially after dark last night. (I finished at 0318 this morning.)

I'm aware you don't know how my last one ended yet, so I'm going to have to get posting.

• Back on. Did 20 hilly (for Essex) yesterday and 2 more 20's then I'm done.

I flounced off in March when I hurt myself a bit training for VLM (I got a sick note for next year). So now onto Marathon Eryri. Training's started OK and doing a bit of track now that the 'lympians have finished with it (Mayesbrroke park in barking!)

Mrs Lemmy's pulled out, she hurt herself in July, so we'll have to do it again next year. As I'm on my tod, I'll aim for sub 4 this year so stick me down for 3:59. Might as well aim a bit high.

How's everyone's summer been?

• Welcome back Lemmy - glad to hear that all is well with you (and, hopefully, Mrs L too).

Did the Yorkie Half yesterday (15 miles off road "fell" race) and surprised myself by beating my 2008 pb by 6.5 minutes image  Running conditions were just right - not too hot and not too muddy on the tops - so a great day out.  You must put the full in your diary for next year Brer - if for no other reason (though imho it's up there with the best races in the country image) than to have a sneaky peak at the extremely lovely Haworth Primary School image.   Everyone's signing on for their races and I'm checking out the displays!

TRex - don't keep us waiting too long, there's nothing on the tv tonight image

• Brilliant stuff SD-YES, must put it in diary for next year. I didn't contact Charlie for a place as I knew it was so popular .Lol, re display observation!

Welcome back Lemmyimage

C'mon Mr Rex, you are getting behind with reportsimage

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I know, sorry about that.  Life a bit hectic at the moment.

I expect you will all want to know what revelation I had about 0041 on Sunday morning?  I was on top of Fan y Big at the time.

But first you may want to know what of the night on the N Wessex Downs?  

All to come.  I'll try to be brief.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Oops. Part of that could have been better phrased, especially for the non-Welsh contingent.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Agghhhh, this marathon plan of mine is being totally attacked by gremlins!  

image is how I felt on my 18miler Sunday! felt image all day yesterday, and image last night!!!  So question to you all, if I take another 2 days complete rest, as I've not ate anything since sunday and am a bit wobbly, which runs of my plan should I sacrifice? I presume the next long run is the most important to get in?

• TRex - nearly choked on my cuppa when i read that image

Welcome back Lemmy hope Mrs Lemmy going to be ok

Jenf - yes to rest and not sure i'd plan anything too long for this weekend better to get well completely first you've plenty of time yet, but thats just my opinion.  Some of the more experienced peeps may say different. And get well soon.

• Jenf have you done a marathon before or is this your first? If this is your first I think you might want to reconsider plenty of people do it as their first but I dont think its for the faint hearted not that you are faint hearted but I dont tink you want to be put off marathon running by doing it and struggling. Maybe marathons are not for you and halfs would be better dont kill yourself in the quest. Or do what Chrissi says rest I when I started doing marathons and I aint done that many but I used to do a long run one week followed by a 10 miler the week after and just increased long run by 2 mile each week the easier week in between helped me recover better. You may have been unwell anyway which may account for you feeling rough its just that after a long run I eat for England. Take care

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Jenf - I'd go with what Chrissi said. Trying to go out again before you are properly better will do more harm than good, especially with not eating as your body will be weak. Personally I'd do at least one short, slow plus before trying anything harder/longer as well, just to make sure I was properly recovered.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Cold season again here - typical second week back and the germs are already doing the rounds!

SD sounds like a great race image

Camlo how did your ultra go?
  • If I get sub 4 hours I would be chuffed, but to be honest, I will be happy just finishing. It's my first marathon and I hope that there will be many more to come. I just want to get over that hurdle of actually completing one and use it as a stepping stone (well mountain) to bigger and better things.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Right, the name of that mountain is pronounced Van-uh-Beeg, so that will hopefully clear up any misunderstandings.

Better get on with some report writing because before long we'll be packing our tents, etc, and heading for the depths of Snowdonia.

I'm trying to think of some cunning plans to avoid my tent being blown away or stolen.

What's everyone else doing?  We'll be meeting up, won't we?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Ridgeway, part the last but one.

So, yes, I was feeling a little alone out there on the Wessex Downs at about mile 48 with a cold wind blowing and trying to make as good progress as possible.

And there it was, finally, another headtorch quite some distance ahead and moving about my speed.  Something to aim for.

About then something unexpected happened.  I saw my shadow being projected ahead of me, illuminated from behind.  I turned and saw three bright lights approaching fast.  I pushed on harder now, almost running properly, but the lights never got any nearer.  I was navigating pretty well and not hesitating at complex path junctions, and still they came on.  I then realised they were using me as a rabbit, or whatever the expression is, and following me.

I foiled that plan by turning my headtorch out for a couple of miles - there was just about enough ambient light to see the path.  Although they did not deviate off in the wrong direction, much to my disappointment, the lights did back off a lot and I never saw their owners.

After the 52-mile checkpoint which I reached at 0059 I caught up with the light ahead and found to my surprise it was the bloke 'walking fast through the night' that I had met hours before.  How did he get so far ahead?  We fell into conversation over the course of many miles before he eventually moved on an hour or two before sunrise.  The camaraderie of ultrarunning, especially at night.

About 0515 I repeated something I did in 2009 and deviated off the route at about mile 66 to check out Wayland's Smithy, that massive Bronze Age tomb.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Ridgeway, part the last.

Just about getting light and with no mist swirling around the stones it did not have quite the same atmosphere as the other year.  It still had a presence, though, with its giant stones like broken teeth guarding the dark mouth of the entrance. I stooped and went inside to the point you can reach before it's blocked off.  I shone my torch around, and there on the floor was a ...

.... disposable BBQ tray lying amongst other detritus.  Honestly, the yoof of today have no sense of moment (or fear of ghosts).

Hurrying the tale, I plodded on through the brightening morning, largely alone, occasionally overtaking stragglers, other worn-out specimens who were once, like me, runners.

Making my way up Smeathe's Ridge, a long, two-mile grassy hill, at bout mile 80 it was an exposed place to be when the heavens opened and the rain came down in sheets. (All good training for SNOD.)

I quickly got cold and the blisters which were threatening for many miles were really giving gyp now.  Four altogether, the largest I later found out about 10cm long.

I was slowing down.  A Course Best had been on the cards for most of the race but now I was slipping behind badly.  No longer able to achieve sub-22 hours, nor even sub-23 hours.  The last six miles took 2 hours, but finish I did in 23:50, in a bit of a sorry state.  But at least I did not go home in a wheelchair like last year!

An excellent event and one I can recommend as your first overnighter.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

10Peaks Brecon Beacons Long Course (55 miles), 7-8 Sep.

This is an event I would NOT recommend as your first 24-hour challenge - it was long and brutal, particularly the night sections.  Fortunately the daytime was glorious and the everchanging vistas of different mountains seen from different vantage points, ones that I had climbed earlier and ones that I would still have to climb much later, will remain long in my memory. 

The Brecon Beacons are fabulous, every peak (and I managed to cover 14 altogether over 2000', including three on the route but not mentioned in the event blurb, and a 14th that I took a short diversion to reach).

• TRex - well done on Ridgeway thought i was getting worried when you were seeing  mysterious lights following you again.

Jenf - any better?

NG - like you i've found that i can only cope with 1 long run every 2 weeks, i guess learning what works best for us rather than following rigid training plans is all part of becoming a proper runnerimage though i can't eat after but the next day watch out

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

worth waiting for TRex, that was a great read with my morning cup of tea.

I'm pleased to report I'm feeling much better, whatever had been causing my nausea explosively left my body (I will spare you the details) and I suddenly felt ok! Thank you Panad/Chrissi/NG for your advice. I'm taking another rest day today to rehydrate and refuel, then will try a short gentle run tomorrow. depending then how I feel I will tackle another 18miler at the weekend. Oh the joys of marathon training!! image

• Glad to hear it Jenf sounds like you picked up a bug or something. Take care 

• Hiya team, have tried to post several times but obviously not appeared. The joys of a new computer. Will catch up tomorrow and read TRex's latest escapade properly.