Comments

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Well done Brer!

Have a good one Jason image
  • Options
    Glad to hear that you are tucked in and ready to tango! Cheers Panad x
  • Options

5-mile Frostbite race in just over 36 minutes.  Should have been called the sunscreen race as wall-to-wall sunshine and very warm for autumn.  Full on taper for Leicester then recovery and gently relaxation before Snowdonia.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

FR- well done!image

Not so good from me, I'm afraid...My first DNF! I had been carrying a stomach strain for the last couple of weeks- thought it would be ok, but I was wrong. Should have realised there is no hiding place on the marathon... started feeling it at 10m and pulled out just after 12. Might be on the bench for a bit, I think....Hope I don't miss Snod....image

• Options
    Gutted for you Jason image

Let's hope you recovery quickly and you are at Llanberis in 20 days time
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Well done FR image

That's really bad luck Jason image Hope that DNFing today has meant that you recover in time for SNOD. Take it easy!
  • Options

JD - so sorry to hear of DNF, but it's better to be sensible and give yourself time to recover than push on and risk further injury.

Brer - what's to say, Superstar?   image  "Well done" seems somehow inadequate image

FR - loving the "frostbite" race.  As you say, a bit warm out there today image

LSR of 19.something miles today.   Had hoped to crack the 20 mile mark, but somehow it didn't happen image Still felt ok for most of run, so hopefully miles in the bank will get me round Snod.    Coniston 14 next weekend - this race is normally run in March, but snow forced race postponement to October, so should be an interesting addition to Snod training image (could have done with a few more miles, but don't think it'll make much difference at the speed I run image).

• Options

Jason, gutted for you mate..Snowdonia awaits you.

FR-'Frostbite' race...lol! Good going!

Is that the last beast done for you too SD? I cannot believe it is in 3 weeks time, where has that year gone to? How did RFR do at Chester?

Legs screaming in protest today, not aided by a session of lock opening and closing whilst cruising on the canal. Serious foam rolling session tonight...was nearly sickimage

• Options

wow lots going on  - loved the race report BN, eek to falls (BN), accidents (TR) and pulling out of your mara  (J). Fab long run SD, the fact that you felt good is reassuring. I tried a hilly 20 yesterday (Rhayader lakes course) and knees were killing by the end. Hope you have a strong shelf for all your medals and bling Brer! 

Not sure I am liking all this talk of gales and hail for SNOD, I am off to gran canaria tomorrow and will be tapering in the sunshine so will be hard enough returning to 'normal' welsh weather. 

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

We haven't told you about the stair-rod rain and thunder yet, Camlo.  One thing we haven't had (yet) is snow.

jason - you were keeping that from us!  You were probably hoping you could nurse yourself around, somehow.  Very sorry you couldn't finish but you were sensible enough to bail and aim for another marathon another day.

What's this marathon you did this w/e, brer?  And for how many weekends on the trot now have you done a marathon??  Just one to line up for next w/e and then Abingdon and SNOD?

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Cardiff half today.  Funny little event, but it requires non-stop fast running for which I haven't done much training lately.  Thought 8:00 minute miling would be manageable but only got as far as mile 6 at that speed before gradually losing 10s, then 20s, then over 30s per mile.  With less than a mile to go T Rex jnr (for whom it was his first half marathon) zooms by with a "C'mon, Dad.  Keep up."  He beat me by 47s by the end.  Normally I can finish strongly but couldn't seem to today.

I suppose what didn't help is that I did a marathon-length LDWA event yesterday ('Where Ravens Dare').

No mishaps except for a very nasty tumble in the WRD.  I should have known better than to run at full tilt on a wooden footbridge covered in moss and slime.

• Options

Careful T Rex, we can't have you being reckless so close to SNOD.

jd, sorry you're tempararily sidelined. If it's a strain you should be right as rain by SNOD.

brer it was brill to finally meet you. It was just before the halfway mark wasn't it when you caught and overtook me? I'm afraid I had a dreadful run. When you caught me I was already slowing to survival plod mode. I had to nursemaid myself around the second loop with the all-too-familiar walk/jog strategy with screaming muscles that just didn't want to do it. Eating stuff didn't seem to make much difference. (I hate it when the body rebels like that.) My splits were 2:07 for the first half and 2:48 for the 2nd.

I was surprised how 'unroady' the route was. In many ways it was more like an LDWA-type event that took in parts of the High Peak 40, the long-defunct Goyt Valley Challenge, the Bullock Smithy Hike and various Hayfield fell races.

• Options

Hello all,

I'm looking forward to Snowdonia Marathon on the 26th. My last 4 weekends have consisted of a 1:30hr Great North Run, and 18 mile LSR, a 1:33hr Nottingham 1/2 marathon and a 20-mile LSR this weekend just gone. I'm looking at doing a 21 mile LSR this coming weekend and then have a 2 week taper. Please advise me if you think a run of this distance isn't advisable!? Hoping for 3:45hrs at Snowdonia (marathon PB of 3:27 on a flat Berlin course).

Without wanting to start a typical debate on the topic, please can someone advise how strict the race organisers are about running with headphones, just so I'm aware? On the website they advise against it, saying runners "run the risk of DQ" - however I'd be interested to know if it's enforced or more of a guideline?

Good luck all anyway, I'm (sort of) looking forward to it!

• Options
    You're running on open roads - you won't hear cyclists behind you - (or electric cars) so if you pull out into their path......
  • Options

Like I said, I don't want to start the debate as to my insensitive/ignorant attitude towards the electric car owners of Snowdonia - I'm just asking the question so I can make a personal decision.

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Banterful, I've no idea how much they enforce the rule, but if they say you might get DQ'd then you have to decide if you are willing to take that risk regardless of whether or not they have taken action in the past... also bare in mind it is only the middle section is not on closed roads.

sounds like you've had some good runs in the last few weeks image I don't know how used to hills you are, but looks to me like you are capable of a 3:45 at SNOD (baring in mind I don't know much!) if you feel like you've got a 21mile run in your legs this weekend go for it, only thing I'd say is don't push it for the sake of it if for whatever reason you don't feel so good this weekend image
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Banterful - Hi.  Sounds like you're prep is going very well indeed.  Can't fault it.  Go right ahead and do your 21.

But why risk a DQ after all your preparation?  I would have thought 3:45 immersed in the dramatic scenery of Snowdonia would be vastly preferable to filling the time with more music.  I personally never attempt to talk to people who have earphones in and consider it rather rude, so you're missing out on camaraderie as well.

There are some races I've known that haul people off the course - not sure if SNOD is one of them.

• Options

12 with hillstoday - counting down ...

• Options

Think 19 people dq'd in recent Wetherby 10k image   

One of the things I love about Snod is "listening" to the welsh speaking runners!   Can't understand a word they're saying, but it's such a beautiful-sounding language that it just adds to the whole experience image FWIW, from previous experiences, I'd doubt that you'd be able to hear much in your headphones in 70 mph wind and rain, but it would be a good test image

Brer - RFR very happy with "plod" of 3:40:00 image

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

good news, and not so good news.

The observant among you may have noticed the change of nameimage courtesy of Champix. 

Ok, so that's pretty much most of the good news.  As some of you know, I tend to keep away from the forum if I can't run. It was my fault. Running along the top of Froggett & Curber edge I really should have been looking where I was putting my feet and not at the scenery thinking how lucky I am that I now live local to this. I tripped several times but managed to catch myself each time suffering no more than heavy twisting impacts on knackerred legs, as if that was nothing to worry about.

I blame the Red Arrows for my damaged knee. I was looking where I was going after my earlier trips, that was until one of their number came from behind to join the rest giving a display over Chatsworth Country Fair and scared the bejesus out of me. As my head snapped up my left foot decided to take the opportunity of my lack of attention to search out and kick a lump of Gritstone. The Gritstone won. My left knee decided to come to the defence of my left foot by attacking the next lump of Gritstone. 2 - 0 to the Grit. 

The speed that fluid collected at my knee and the immediate pain had me thinking the darkest thoughts, luckily it wasn't anything broken, * Just * soft tissue damage. A call to Mrs C to come get me and the help of some walkers to get me to the car park followed by RICE and I thought I'd be fine. 

It would probably have healed a lot faster if I hadn't been biking 5 miles to work in the Peak District every day. Mrs C has the car, buses would have added 4 hours a day to my commute, and I can't afford taxi's ! As I've just moved here and just started this job, going off sick after a week wasn't an option.....

So there has been pretty much no running for the last 6 weeks. It had all been going so well. 3 weeks to get back up to being capable of running Snod rather than just surviving it? Don't think so. Add Abingdon mara the week before and what do you get?  Mrs C says a bleedin' idiot. Oh, should I mention that I'll be subbing for the seconds on the Saturday before Abingdon? 

I'm screwed for Snod anyway, might as we'll be right royally screwed eh?! 

In other news, I've been for a run with Totley AC and sent off my membership application. I did Stanage Struggle to test my knee, probably not the best way but it looked fun, and was only 6 miles, and I did take it easy....managed to make my knee swell again. I was given a place in GNR and raced it, taking 5 mins off my PB. Not taking it though as I'd pilled myself up to the eyeballs to be able to do it. And made my knee swell again, not aided by being sat not moving on a packed train for 4 hours afterwards. 

Oh, and with the combination of lack of exercise and stopping smoking, I've managed to put on 10 pounds

Ah well, see you in Llanberis. I'm staying at the Padarn again, very handy for the finish line and the liquid painkiller. Which I will be abusing copiously at this rate......

now for some catch up reading, back later.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Hey there chimney! Hope the move went well and life is a bit more chilled now image - but that injury sounds horrible, and the amount you are still doing despite it sounds nuts, take it easy!!
  • Options

Hello Team, old and new!

TRex-Saturday's little jaunt with Britnick was the Goyt Valley Striders 25th Anniversary marathon and was 9th in 10 weeks. I didn't read the stuff well enough though and rocked up in my very nearly new trainers which were not adequate for the course. Hadn't realised it was multi-terrain-thought it was a road race along quiet village lanes and canal pathsimage. It was in fact a hike across the High Peak!

Britnick, sorry to hear you had a grueller. I did too and if it wasn't for another runner who I trotted with for the last 6 miles, I don't think I would have been a happy bunny. ITB was screaming due to the ascent/descent issue.

Hiya Ex Chimney, wondered where you had got to! Hope all is well in new abode. Now then, just keep focusing on that liquid painkiller mate, I'll race you to the bar!!image

SD-he will be a happy bunny then!

No-one needs ipods etc on this run. Scenery too beautiful, weather too grim and also the traffic on the roads is quite challenging at times. Leave it at home this timeimage

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Hi Panad, Brer, yep move went silkily and definitely enjoying, mostly, a more chilled lifestyle. Inherited a cat with the house who is currently trying to make my chest more comfortable with her claws and suggesting she's far more important than an iPad! 

It's been a bit of a learning curve for her and the dogs, ending up with the dogs realising that cats have claws & teeth and know how to use them........

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    Thanks all for the advice regarding headphones (bad habits die hard and all that). I'll toughen up and leave them at home this time I think!

I'm thinking I can manage a 21 miler this weekend and use gels for the first time this year. Being the true athlete I am I'm off to the Nottingham real ale festival on Friday (bad habits really do die hard), for a to-be-tested new carb-loading strategy ahead of Sunday's run! It'll all be fine I tell myself...

Good luck to everyone in the last stages of training.
  • Options

What are the post marathon eating and drinking options?

• Options

Last 20 miler done around Hainault Forest in Essex (a piddling 350m of ascent across the whole run, last 5 miles at sub 8:30 pace) plus Copped Hall 5 on the Sunday (150m of ascent). Tuesday previous did the Hog Hill 5k as part of the Chingford cross country league, it is on tarmac, but at night so quite good fun, no lights!!

I'm better than last year, no ITB problems and running stronger so we'll see how we get on. Sub-4 hopefully.

Best wishes to all with the last couple of weeks tapering.

Other Half, we're staying in Caernarfon so will trounce a mixed-grill at the Block Boy inn...

• Options

Hi all.

I'm new to this forum but pleased to see so many people looking forward to SNOD.  I can't wait - this will be my 3rd year running and can't wait to get there.  Its becoming a regular annual weekend away for me and the family.  Can't believe I didn't find this thread for the last 2 years.

Banterful - sounds like you are running similar half marathon times to me.  My marathon pb is 3:36 on a very flat Milton Keynes route last year and I then ran 3:42 in the SNOD so hopefully 3:45 is achievable as you have run a sub 3:30.

Good luck everyone !

• Options

Banterful, like your style..nice bit of carb loading going on thereimageGood luck with the 21 miler after that.

Hiya Lemmy, glad to have you back on board-I could just eat a mixed grill right now.

Welcome to the madhouse Fieldy, we are all sane and normal on here..I think!

Other Half..eating options...anything full of grease, fat and salt will do for me post-Snod. Not fussy at that stage of proceedings, even less fussy about alcohol quantity forced down to re-hydrateimage

• Options
    Anyway know if there is a spare place someone is selling?

Wasn't planning on running this event as just run the Chester marathon but loved it so much ready for another marathon now!

Cheers
  • Options

Lemmy - we're at the Black Boy too image