Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hi Fieldy.  A Snowdonia marathon ('SNOD') thread has been running continuously for the last five years or so.  The thread seems to have attracted a group of like-minded - how shall I put it? -  unorthodox marathoners and it is a constant source of inspiration.  Some of us have met each other but many haven't and have that dubious privilege to come ...

Speaking of which, post-SNOD refreshments in Padarn Lake Hotel from, what shall we say,1830 onwards?  I usually eat in Pete's Eats prior to meeting up - it's a good place to chill out.  Or, more likely, warm up!!

If the music which usually starts at 2300 is too loud we could retire to my place (a tent) but it will be a three-mile walk each way from Llanberis on flooded roads and the camping field will almost certainly be in two inches of water.  And I will be needing to put up the tent first.

Or there's that place opposite Padarn Lake which seems to stay open late.

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Evening all.

went out with Totley AC tonight. Note to self, when enquiring about which group would be best to run with make sure you are both talking about the same thing. Going out for 1 1/4 hours to do 9 miles is loads different to doing 9 min miles.......  Luckily I could keep up so didn't hold them up at all but at my present level, boy was it tough! Sheffield is very hilly......

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

You'll soon be running up the Matterhorn, etc.

• Thanks Brer Rabbit and T Rex.  Have read back through many of the previous posts and definately a source of inspiration!  Not sure about the 'sane and normal' part if T Rex is camping on 26th.  I love camping but there is no way I would be able to crawl in and out of a tent the morning after this.  Fair play to you - must be hardened to the lovely Welsh weather

• Hi guys. Good to see the banter is still flowing 3 years after I last ran SNOD.

providing I have no last minute ailments, this will be my 3rd SNOD and for the first time I have been able to convince 3 other club members from The Stragglers to join me. You should notice us as we're very wasp like. Yellow and black vests with a black foot on the back. I'm always willing to chat on the way round, I'm the short, bald one!

good luck to everyone else

• Fieldy..Trex is a nutter! I'm normalimage Hiya Strag Routemaster..wow what a name! Will look out for you and your mates, just don't sting me!  

Back from my Wednesday mad heavy-metal thrash Spin classimage...booked my pre-Abingdon marathon physio sesh which is to include ITB strippingimageimage and now going for a bath and bed. Why is multiple marathoning so hard?image

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

T Rex, once it's on the utmb route, I'm there....  image Just the matter of getting enough points. Not a problem I'm sure.

Feldy, nothing wrong with camping in Wales at any time of the year. Especially South Wales. When it's New. Now North Wales though, that's a different matter. At least there's no midges in October. 

Strag, good to hear from you. I'll look out for the very distinctive vests and say hello. 

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Hi Brer, wasn't ignoring you, just got sidetracked before I finally hit reply.......

Multiple marathoning is not a problem. As long as you do them over multiple years, not weeks.....  image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Yes, camping hasn't always been a whole lot of fun!  One year after quite a few drinks with steve-z and collie dave (remember them?) I trudged up the three miles of flooded roads up to my ankles in water back to Nantperis.  When I got to the campsite and shone my headtorch around the soggy scene all I could find left of my tent was one guy rope and a peg.  Not at all good for morale at 0100 with limited options and the rain falling heavily.

But, as you say, there weren't any midges!

Chimney and brer - either of you looking for a particular time at Abingdon?  I'm hoping for 3:40-something.

I don't have a target for SNOD.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

In fact, from my 6 SNODs to date the score on post-marathon night has been:

tent 2, car 2, found somewhere else to sleep image 2 .

What will it be this year??

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

T Rex, I'll be doing 3:30 pace for the first 5 miles, until my body rebels at which point I'll slow to 3:40 pace, then 3:50, then...........finally coming in around 3:50 ( I Hope ). From previous experience, if I go out at what may seem a more sensible pace, I end up going slower overall and being in more pain. 

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

That's to say, on the back of a half time of 1:38, 3:30 should have been on if...

running 26.2 miles is currently going to be hard enough!

Only 4.5 miles this morning, doing a speed session with the club tonight. Legs really felt Tuesday nights run. Foxy was absolutely delighted to be going out for a run again, jumping about yapping while I got myself ready, then pulled like a team of huskies along the road to the gate, then disappeared into the distance when he was let off, came haring back, haring off, haring back etc. one of these days I'm going to stick a GPS on him.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

I'm still here! been having the 'vanishing post' syndrome!

Well I did Cardiff half at weekend, no PB cos I was too busy high fiving kids and sprinkling fairy dust dressed as Tinkerbell. I had great fun!

Hi Stagroutemaster. I saw some of your club mates at Castles this year. I thought the crowd was being a bit rude at first when they were shouting 'come on stragglers' !

Glad to see you are all tapering nicely image 

• Collected my # for Sunday (Leicester Marathon) I'm 4169.  However I think that the marathon numbers start at 4001.

• This will be my first marathon. I've been training on an off all year but I've had IT band issues. The past few weeks I've been getting sports massges for it and it's really helping, I've gained a lot of confidence in the past few weeks. I completed a 15 mile run on Sunday. I'm planning on a 10 on Friday and an 18-20 on Sunday, then taper for the following two weeks doing a mix of 10's and 5's next week and just a couple of 3's for the week leading up to the race. Average pace for 15 is about 10:00. More like 9:00 for 10 miles.

How's that look to you guys? I've not really got a time in mind but a sub-5 would be good and somwhere round a 4:30 being ideal.

• I'm also planning on getting taped for my IT band on both sides as a bit of insurance and I've found some success with compression tights

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Tapering going well here with 14miles of hills yesterday, followed by just under 50 miles on the bike cycling home from Llanberis today...good job the wind wasn't in my face for 90% of it! I mean doing 8min miles on a bike on flat cycle path is not good is it? ! Oh well, can't complain - it could've been raining as wellimage
  • Lovely weather here today in the far North - hope it's as good as this on 26th

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Hi All

Back in the early hours from 2 weeks in Lanzarote, just attempted to kill the post holiday blues by entering Manchester Marathon next April image.

JD sorry about your DNF hope your on the road to recovery

Brer glad your still going strong

Sorry after 10 pages to catch up on lost track of who's done what but everyone seems to be on track for the main event image despite car troubles, double races and "willies" image

x

• Good evening from Brer Towers, hiya jenf..sounds like you had fun!

Good luck FR, hope weather is kind for you.

Panad..you'll storm Snod now!

Other Half..don't you just know that it will be glorious on the 26th!

Joesbox-that sounds like a good plan. If its your first marathon, don't focus on time to finish-just enjoy it. Snod was my first marathon and it was a rubbish finish time, but the achievement of finishing that first marathon in challenging conditions is much more memorable than any other marathon I've doneimage

Welcome back Chrissi..to the nice British weather!

Trex, my aim for Abingdon is now to get round without damage before Snowdon. It will be number 21 of 2013!

• Can't believe I've only just found this thread. I'm temporarily popping over from Triathletes World to do my first stand alone marathon. Any hints and tips from those having done this race before would be welcome, especially that second big climb.

I've just completed my last 20 miler of training in 2h:30min including 500m of climbing. Has anyone got a mapmyrun link for this year's route as the profile on the official website is a little, let's say, basic! I want to see what the total climb is.

• Thanks BR, the weather forecast for this Sunday is Snowdonia-eque, heavy rain.

Still whatever I'm going to try an run eight minute miles until my legs fall off image

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    stanners - there are some runs of the current course on mapmyrun..if you search for for routes in llanberis at least 26miles long then it thows up several, as long as it is from 2010 (i think that was the year they changed the course last!) onwards it is the same as this years route.
  • Welcome to our world stanners..as panad says, I reckon a google will find you want you want. All you need to know about mile 24 is that most folks walk, stagger up that bitimage

Good luck FR...head down and thrash it boyimage

Went for my tapering for Abingdon 12 miler today in challenging wind and rain-Snod style stuff and enjoyed it so much, I ended up doing 20 miles. Well, that's stuffed a fast time at Abingdon then..oh well, enjoyed the day!imageimage

• Jason..where are you matey?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I think he's on the side lines.  Hope you're getting better, jason.

ROs have sent me a decent OS map with the course on in the past.  Worth emailing and asking for one.  I haven't kept the file which is a pity.

The final hill is 830' in 2.7 miles, including a level-ish section near the top.  To put that in perspective the climb to the summit of Fan Gyhirych in the 10Peaks Brecon Beacons race was 1130' in 0.7 miles imageimage.

• Completed my last LSR of 21 miles today. The first 13 miles were flat and then I did 8 miles of hill loops to finish off. Really happy with how it went and I feel ready. I acknowledge I've not been able to find enough hills throughout training but I think that I can overcome that aspect of the challege with a bit of grit and effort on the day!

In terms of race strategy I was thinking of starting off relatively aggressively up the first proper incline and then consolodate over the (seemingly) long downhill section up until mile 18ish. At that point I'll just give the last 8 miles what I've got left in the tank! Sensible approach or naive?!

• Had a shocker at Leicester.

First 12 miles and eight minute miles felt really comfortable but then my legs fell off.

14 miles to grind out a finish was totally soul destroying.

Glad that Snowdonia is social run image

• Oh Fr,sorry to hear about bad day at The Office,the social will soon be hereimage

• Shit happens, and I gather the chip timing system didn't work.... I really ran 3:14 lol image