Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• I will be BUFFED up from head to toe (once the bin bag/old rags are removed 10 seconds before the start).

Britnick - no need for that! Only just eaten breakfastimage

• NICE!!!! 10 day forecast for Llanberis! Of course the sun will be shining higher upimage

/members/images/450915/Gallery/SNODweather.jpg

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

loving all the weather forcasts - don't forget its wales it changes fast - i just packed all my kit in the car last year and threw most of it on too, i wasn't going to be caught out like in 2010 so of course we had lovely sunshine.

TRex - put me in the definately back next year category please

This weekebnd i've got a nice easy run for an hour with the girls tomorrow and then 10 miles on Sunday image 

• Thanks for the comments about kit on the day.  I will see how the temperature it is on the day but probably will be takin a lightweight jacket along in case I cool down too much. 13 C and showers sounds perfect! Will be doing a hilly 8 miler this week and thats my lot...

• Hi , Everyone !  Enjoy reading the post on this thread for a while now looking for tips etc. My wife and I are travelling over from Ireland and I'm wondering where is the easiest place to park on race day and what time is best to arrive to facilitate that ?As for me , It's my first Snowdon so just planning on getting the coaster and enjoying this Iconic race and meet a few people !  All the best Everyone !!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Stu - we were on page 196 by this time last year so we've all been a bit quieter in 2013.  Just a handful of diehards have been keeping the thread ticking over image

And according to your forecast all Llanberis gets is showers, rain, and wind.  That can't be right??

Welcome to the thread and hope you enjoy the race, dave w.  Not sure about parking - someone else will chip in about that.  I'd get there in good time, certainly before road closures which start at 1000.

Tips?  What can we say?  Possibly best to wear something warmer than a vest unless you're at the sharp end.  I'll probably be wearing a Windstopper L/S top, a hat, and possibly even gloves.  But no coat - it's more important to be warm than dry.  It's not an even-paced marathon - there are a couple of hills.

To quote Ronald Turnbull (always get any book by him - brilliant at understatement and humour):

'Start slower than your usual speed. You're going to be tired at the end. Why start getting tired at the beginning?'

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

3:10

• Stephen Weston 3  (1st SNOD)

3:20

• NOSEMI  (4th SNOD)

3:30

• Ultra Disco Stu  (3rd SNOD)

3:40

• Fieldy  (3rd SNOD)

3:45

• Banterful

Sub-4:00

• BritNick
    • Fenland Runner (4th SNOD)
    • Lemmy

4:05

• touie 2

4:10

• LoveEndures (1st mara)

4:15

• Harshad_Patel  (2nd SNOD)

4:30

• Ex Chimney

Sub-4:45  

• KingKenny (1st SNOD)
    • Other Half  (1st SNOD)
    • Reydon Rover

Sub-5:00

• Stilldreaming  (6th SNOD)

Sub-7:00

• Peter John Lewis (not sure how many SNODs because some were technically DNSs)

Running round the mountain:

• brer rabbit
    • Bristol303  (1st mara)
    • Britrisky
    • Camlo
    • Chrissi
    • Cougie
    • dave williams2  (1st SNOD)
    • Duffs2
    • FlatBoy  (1st SNOD)
    • jason d
    • jenf
    • joesbox
    • John Bach
    • Kandinsky
    • KateF
    • Mr panad
    • panad
    • Pete Thomas 6
    • pinkbug
    • ringo100
    • Snowdonia Snail
    • Stanners from the Bridge  (1st mara)
    • Steve J
    • Strag RouteMaster (3rd SNOD)
    • Tattooed Runner 41
    • T Rex  (7th SNOD)
    • Wabo  (1st SNOD)

• Chrissi
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Chrissi - I think you are going to have the honours of starting the 2014 thread!  Kindly note the correct spelling of 'camaraderie', as we indeed have it this year.  

I am happy to put up with 'Snodonia' (and therefore 'SNOD' for short in case any of you were wondering) - it has become an endearing tradition that I am loathe to change.

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

DW - we found a huge carpark with loads of spaces last year not sure exactly how we got to it (hubby drove i wibbled) i know we went past the HQ on the left and then followed some parking signs just past the old HQ/village hall place.  Someone not so directionally challenged may understand where i mean an be able to explain it better image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

jenf - nothing like a healthy dose of fear to keep you on your toes.  This marathon will be memorable.

• TR - wow that is A LOT quieter than last year! well I'm trying to make up for my absenteeism! Thanks for the revision to the list! image I might actually have a shot now...

• And thanks to Nicki (another die harder SNODDer but whom cant run this year) for the tip off on accommodation. I'm now sorted.

TRex - Have you found anywhere yet? Where I'm staying has one room left at a very reasonable price! send me a message if you're interested and I will reply.

• Thanks T Rex , Chrissi , We are sailing on teusday so will drive up through llanberis and check it out on way to my fathers place.

• Rediscovered my love of running.  Rested following the Leicester Marathon until yesterday evening and it was a fabulous run, the went out again earlier today and again everything clicked and it felt great.

B_R_I_N_G

O_N

S_N_O_W_D_O_N_I_A

imageimageimageimageimage

• You will be able to add another technically did not finish for this year.

Ive just realised that this year they will be using the chips already attached to the paper number.

I have not worn a paper thing on my chest for the past five years, and I have no intention of wearing one again.

My only number for the past 19 yrs has been 108, and that was printed on my vest five years ago.

Number 108 will always be my number, and if that was to ever change, I would not be on the start line.

As for my four previous DNF entries on the result list, who cares, I certainly don't, I do the Snowdon Marathon as a fun run, treating it seriously ended a few years back.

My slowest time of last year, of 6 hrs 49 min due to a painful foot, which meant I had to walk the last nine miles, may even be slower this year, due to endurance amounting to one 15 mile run in September.

Ive never been so ill prepared for a race, let alone a tough marathon.

If the race had been last Saturday, I would not have driven to Llanberis, because I was at a low ebb, I simply did not care, and still don't.

There is no Snowdon Marathon buzz this year, I just want to get it over and done with.

Missing it would be a real shame, not having missed one in the last 19 yrs, but I know this year if I wear a chip, I will be the last runner in, and that has never happened in any race ive entered.

All I want is my 18 th slate coaster, times,positions etc are irrelevant.

Will I get around, last Saturday definitely no, week tomorrow maybe, but it's going to feel like my first attempt at the distance, an unknown adventure.

• Sorry for being so negative,when there is so much excitement in the Snowdon camp.

My final run until the race on the 26 th was this afternoon, a 10 miles,twice around the Orme, and I felt awful, I finished the run, but it felt like 20 miles.

Heaven help me week tomorrow, if 10 miles is a struggle, imagine trying to climb the hill after Waunfawr bridge.

Gulp This race is going to test my inner strengths like it's never done before.

Help me Lord, 80+ mph winds like 2002 would be a blessing, so I do not have to turn up week tomorrow.

• Hey Snodders, back from the dark side of OFSTED inspection...mentally exhausting as well as long hours..but come out of the other side intact and outcome ace. So, now just a case of Abingdon marathon on Sunday as a lsr given the state of my exhaustion, then the beauty next weekimageimage. Looks like weather at Abingdon is going to be worse than Snod, I hope they don't cancel it, Premier Inn rate there is scandalous.

Not had time to really catch up on stuff but did catch a post from Daymion..hi there buddy.

Love the vibes FR..let's do it!!

Anyway, must crawl to bed soon as off to Oxfordshire in the morning. Ex Chimney and TRex, if I don't see you there, good luck guysimage.

• JB, has posted a wonderful picture on Facebook, makes me want to run this race every week image

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

TRex no pressure then, will spend the next week training to start the thread.

Brer well done for surviving inspection and good luck at Abingdon

enjoy your weekends everyone

• Good news re the chip built into the number as far as I'm concerned - being dyspraxic I struggle to tie my own shoe laces let alone put a timing chip on. I think the only reason they've not used chips on numbers in the past is because of the number of runners who wear jackets etc over their vest/number. Picture taken yesterday - I have to say that the surface on the track down wasn't the best - very uneven (more so than last year I'd say) with quite a few loose rocks

/members/images/217406/Gallery/photo_(11).JPG

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Nice piccie JB.

For various reasons haven't been to N Wales since SNOD ( Thanks T Rex, kinda wondered where SNOD came from! ) last year. That view reminds me why I should have made time.

Brer, T Rex, if you're still looking, have fun tomorrow and I'll try to say hello if I see you but you're both going to be a long way ahead of me, especially in the 2nd half........

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • I love Snowdon. It is my favourite mountain. In just over three weeks between end of May and mid June submitted four times by four different routes. image
  • "If season, weather, route will then allow you to complete your journey, know that now it is not you who conquered nature so, but nature which permitted you to go."
    © Stan Greer

• F7/8 today and chucking it down ...

• Love the picture really looking forward to next Saturday,i see there is some good tapering going on!! I think that is why I love this thread/marathon because it is fairly unconventional,i would love to run more and do more marathons but my knees start screaming at me.

Hi Daym down under,just noticed your post,hope life is treating you and your family well in oz,would be good to see you at snod again one year

As far as clothing on the day goes if it is 13 degrees it will be just shorts and Tshirt  for me with the usual bin bag on at the start if it is lashing it down

• Wet and windy 8 miles over Marwick Head for me today, last run of any substance before SNOD ...

• 10 miles done. Just a few jogs during the week to keep my legs ticking over and then the big dayimage

Still not sure what clothing to wear on the day. Will take a range and decide when i get there.

• First cross cohntry rzce this zfternoon. Paced it well amd actually enjoyed it . Gonna do a syeady half tomorrow morning as final long rraining run

Silly tablet but not xorrecting spelling now

• JB - love that off road track! Cant wait to blast down there.Thanks for posting photo.