Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

It has to be absolutely vile before I wear any sort of leg cover, so let's not over-egg this - shorts will be fine.  Depending on speed I would suggest a warmer top than just a wicking vest/T.

Bring all your kit and choose on the morning.  As long as your number is clearly visible on your front.

'Daunting'??  The scale of the scenery makes you feel slightly diminished, but not anything like, say, the Alps.  I would say sobering. Unlike the post-race arrangements.

• I'm a cold mortal. So full length skins bottom half for me.

Only joking about the beer. If I'm as rubbish as I was at Leicester may still be out there at four pm .(
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Cloudy and rain starting about 1600 after a very wet Friday.  I'm moving everone to a sub-5:30 finish.  Up to 23mph south westerlies so once again a strong headwind stopping us dashing down to Beddgelert as if Shelob is after us.

Got that John Bach - I'l figure the course changes into any new pacing chart if I can find it.

In my mind a formerly decent VW Golf GT TDi sold for £350 image.

Where's those beers ...

• MWIS suggesting torrential rain Saturday afternoon, that's encouragement not to hang around image

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Fenland, I reckon I can get 4 pints in by 4pm. And I should be awake again by 8pm.....image

Legs will definitely be shorts. Top will be my club vest, green with white diagonal stripe and Totley written on it. I will not be the lady in her fifties wearing the same top! I'll take a lightweight jacket with me to Llanberis, at the present forecast not planning on wearing it In the race.

A couple of years back I did a XC in an absolute blizzard, couldn't see more than 10 yards type of blizzard, wearing just shorts and a vest top. Not forecast, at the gun it was just grey cloud. 5 minutes later however.....

An hour later I got to the finish line and was the closest I've ever been to full blown hypothermia, most were in the same boat, some better, some worse. 

A little bit of rain and a slight breeze on Saturday will seem like the Cote D'Azure in high summer image

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Just left Eglwysbach at 5.05 this afternoon, it's 9C when I left, and there is one noticeable chill in the wind,with a change of wind direction.

Last night at 7.30 pm during my jaunt across the Orme,it was still 16C, most definitely vest and shorts weather.

Llandudno on the coast, outside my front door on the Westshore, 90m from the waters edge, it's 10C, where has summer gone, an incredible change in the weather in less than 24 hrs, and what a windchill, with the strong SW wind.

Vest and Shorts, if that's what you want, fine by me, the heart of Snowdonia in what has certainly become the first taste of late Autumn, full protective kit,tucked away in my bumbag, with running gloves,and Inov8 rain peak hat, and possibly short sleeved Helly Hansen Lifa as well.

If it's 10C here on the coast,it's going to be colder in Llanberis, with added probable rain during the race, WOULD I RISK JUST VEST AND SHORTS ON SATURDAY, maybe yesterday, but if the colder feel to the weather continues into the weekend, I am going fully prepared for everything Snowdonia can throw at us, and those still uncertain about the right kit to wear,should do the same.

• 1596 The weather for my quarry walk today kept getting better and better. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice... Then not as nice image Last year I was promised that the weather this year would proper Welsh. Rain, wind,hail... Bring it on!

Also, the Padarn Lake Hotel's bar might not be open so SS suggested the Gwynedd Inn down the street. And, I'll be pasta-ing at the Pantri.
  • 510. 4th Snowdonia marathon and 11th overall. Hoping to beat the time my brother and I got last year (04:06). Completely agree what others have said about coming a cropper after pegging it to get time fast splits post Pen Y Pass, the lovely weather last year somehow encouraged us to get to Bedgellert as quickly as possible and we struggled because of it on Wawnfawr, big time.

As always, we'll be the chaps in the yellow and green West Bromwich Albion shirts, boing boing!
  • Yeh, I'm packed, it looks like we are ready to rock n roll teamimage. It will be so brilliant if it isn't raining at the start so I can actually see some of you/have a chat rather than be cowering near to a heater in Electric Mountainimage

Pete, have you had a SS feast today?

Chimney, have you done any running since Abingdon? I've only done Spin classes and a bit on treadie, doesn't seem natural not to have run.

FR, this aint Leicester, this a proper eventimage

Enjoy the carb loading guysimageimage

Jason, I'm doing the marathon at Newcastle racecourse, couldn't quite get my head around another few laps to do the ultraimage

• BR: Lobscows.... Yum!
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Brer, 2 miles very slow trot Today. Massage may have been painful, but I think worth it. 

I resigned myself to not being back properly running til a week after SNOD, though I do have a club event on Tuesday night that involves the seven hills of Sheffield.

Why did I say yes?

• PT6 - Padarn closed on Sat night!? :-/ oh dear its the only reason I signed up this year! Seriously though I think its a blessing as we can explore the best of Llanberis night life!image

The news of no water bottles is a bit of a blow! I just don't get on with cups. So looks like waist pack with 750ml bottle. Extra weight shouldn't slow me down but the forecast 25mph winds might!!

Britnick - I'll take my chanceimage no more room in the inn I'm afraid.

PJL - Agree with you re training effect in last 2 weeks BUT thats only the physically side and as we all know its the mental game that most interesting. We run in the final few weeks not because we think its going to make any discernible difference but because it helps to calm nerves.

hope there are no more land slides before Saturday!! Its quite a concern especially looking at Fridays forecast. More mud slides are a real possibility :-/
  • oh and 4 pints for me before 4pm too!! Pints of tea that is at Pete's Eats image although also promise to pop into the pantry SS!!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Yes, UDS, you're not in official start list.  Do you need to check with ROs?  I usually have two pints of chamomile tea and two pints of barley cup.

brer - is it worth unpacking after the previous weekend?  I'd just unpack once at the end of the season.  Assuming your season ever ends!

T Rex Jnr has just done his second half mara in 1:47  in Amsterdam, 2 weeks after his previous one.  I'm going to have to keep a close eye on him.

• For supporters how can they maximise the old race "viewing experience"? If they're watching in Llanberis at the start are they best to stay there, or is there a way they could get to Beddgelert and back to Llanberis?
  • I've watched at pen y pass ( parked at peny gwryg hotel ) then drove to Llan beris to walk up final hill - in 2011&12, and my supporters did similar last year 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Watching everyone stream up and over Pen y pass is a good viewing experience or down at the Pen-y Gwryd Hotel.  Would have to be in position before road closures and then make way back to Llanberis.

A better viewpoint might be on the summit of Crib Goch or Gallt-y-Wenallt. 

• Thanks. Getting my mum up Crib Goch on Saturday morning may be a push though!
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

SS- anyone else local- HAVE A WORD with Padarn Lake! If this is true that they won't be open, they have lost a lot of revenue in the last 2 years! Would have thought they would have been glad of the extra cash in October?

brer- guess we will see lots of everyone in Newcastle, being laps image

getting twitchy now, and trying to avoid the temptation to RACE........

• Jason, as I said before, tootle round with me and there's no chance of you racing. imageQuestion is, could you drag me to a 3:30 finish? Shall I bring a bungy? Great to see you back and ready to run. Just don't break yourself again.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Nick- stick with me and we will give it a go image Main event for me now is a crack at sub 3.20/ 25 in Newcastle in December....(50k)

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Just to let you know the extent to which you, Nick, and TR particularly, but also FR and other ultra runners on here now and in the past have inspired me, one of my main goals for next year is the iconic Barry 40 ( which will probably, ironically, be anathema to most of you!)

• Good luck everyone for Saturday hope you all have a great day. Sadly not with you this year but back in 2013. Got up for my first Ras Yr Wddfa in July, on only 12 weeks training. Fab race all the same, seriously hot and seriously scary on the descent!

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Congrats to Rex Junior, when's he coming to play in North Wales?

Banterful, I'd advise your supporters to stay away from Beddgelert during the race. When you get there you'll see why. Agree with above, at the top of the pass, or down on the main road, then back to Llanberis. By the time they've got there, parked, and started walking backwards up the course it won't be long before the leaders will be through.....

JD, be good to see you whole and still whole come the end. If Britnick's going a bit fast for you, just drop back and wait for me image

As for being inspired, yep they do. Bliddy dangerous game this running lark, you just don't know where it's going to take you....... image

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Megalily, sorry to hear you can't play this year, see you next. I still need to do the July race.

• Heading to the hills today,good luck everyone Saturday,hope to see some of  you over the weekend.Padarn lake closed??? I hope not as I am staying there! might have to borrow your tent Trex,is there enough room for 2 adults and 2 boysimage

• Parking

Council car parks (£4) weree full up by the time we got there last year at 8:30am, so we paid £6 for the private car park at the bottom of the railway and the traffic wardens didn't get us. They were on the prowl last year.

re: Kit, listen to PJL, the boys at the sharp end can get away with shorts & vests, us mere mortals need a bit more covering...

Last minute short-temperedness due to tapering (bloke winding me up in work, then my folks, d'oh!!), driving up tomorrow after putting the mutts in kennels... Staying in Caernarvon... The Las Vegas of Gwynedd...

Be safe everyone.

• Hi all. Just popped on to wish everyone all the best for Sat. Sadly I will not be taking my place this year for SNOD number 9 as my much loved mother-in-law passed away very suddenly a couple of weeks ago and my place is with Mrs LG at this difficult time.

I will be back for 2014 as this his the race highlight of the year. Have a great day round the mountain and enjoy those well earned post race beers. I will be thinking of you all and will keep my fingers crossed you get the soaking you are all hoping for.image  

• Kit wise - Not sure! ,will take a selection. Probably a red long sleeve merino base layer under a white Liverpool Marathon tee. May also carry a windproof/shower proof thingy but not sure I want too carry anything.

Sounds like we may get a dry start, don't really care after that...may regret saying that with a 3 mile walk/hobble up the last hill in torrential rain image

Cheers for the spectator info. With the current forecast you won't be seeing much from Crib Goch.

• Good luck to all on Saturday!

As usual I've left it to the last minute before checking this forum!

T-rex put me down for 3:05 please. Training hasn't gone as well as last year with Piriformis Syndrome the main cause so a little slower this year probably.

Still behind John Bach though I bet!