Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• Report part 2 - iPad problem - I thought I'd bags of time ti get nder 5 hrs, but the terrain and wind buffeting slowed me a lot, coming back into Llanberis it was very close- 2mins to go by my watch, putting a slow sprint on I dipped under 5 hrs by 15 seconds.Emotional at end to finish. Congratulated others who were just finishing, I'd run with, then very welcome coffee and warm in the baggage hut, then a greabacked potato in cafe 90 high street. It was rainingheavenly when I cam out of the cafe , I was pitying anyone coming down from the top then .  Great running everyone

• My hamstrings and quads twenty four hours later are an absolute mess and complete agony image But I still love the race and will be back next year.
  • Panad - Possibly. I've tended to have an issue with it on my long runs, but seemed fine yesterday until I got home. Will most definitely invest in some cycling shorts for future events.

My legs also feel pretty fine. Better than I was expecting them to any way. My quads feel a bit stiff, so I think I will have a nice stretching session later.

• Managed to get around in 6 -12, which considering my lack of any training,with only one run over ten miles in the entire year,was quite satisfying,even though it's my slowest time ever for the distance.

I was so concerned about conserving my energy and not following the rest of the field,that I came through halfway,in a snail space 2-29.

It was only at 19 miles that my legs became so tight that I had to walk the rest of the way, and I was able to put my new waterproof to a good testing from 19m onwards,when the heavens opened and remained open.

It will be 20th next year, and I may consider training properly for it once again, but I reached the cut off by 1-54pm, which was a surprise, I half expected to fail to reach the 2.30 time.

Only two criticisms, about this years race, one was that there were one or two water stations missing at the 20-21 mile section, and secondly no mars bars or boiled sweets from 15 miles onwards.

Plenty of those messy and useless High5 EnergyGells, they had a box of close on a hundred they had opened at Waunfawr school, and when I told them how much they cost, they were surprised.

In all, an enjoyable marathon, with the knowledge I can go the distance off vertually no training, but hang on a minute, lack of mars bars and boiled sweets in Waunfawr village was the only disappointment, for yet another superb race.

Cannot wait till Jan 1st to get my entry in for my 20th

• How many of us,missed the regular mars bars and boiled sweets at Waunfawr corner,heading up Bwlch Y Groes,

Having done the race so many times, looking for and not finding any, was the only negative aspect of yet another fine race.

• PJL - Congratulations and well done to you. I felt that the amount of water stations was spot on and in terms of Mars bars and boiled sweets, when I got to Waunfawr, that was the last thing on my mind.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

PJL- I didn't notice that they usually have sweets, so I didn't miss them - I do now though! image

Good to see so many old friends and make some new ones over the weekend. Hamstrings a bit sore today, but nothing like usual! image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

I hope I managed to talk T Rex out of traversing the Nantlle ridge today....imageimageimage

• Hey,managed to get a signal in the depths of Waunfawr.Fantastic running everyone,wasn't it brilliant? Brilliant to meet up with some of you-I finally got my beer fix at a random party in a cowshed!! Finished race in 3hrs 53 mins.

• the isotonic drink was good for me and i did appreciate the regular fluid stations. No gels for me and i struggled to get anything down as the race progressed which cant have helped the situation. Some choc would have been fab! 

Glugged half a bottle of goodness shake at the finish which i managed to keep down for less than an hour...... 

Legs not too bad but toes took a hammering as i flew down into llanberis! 

have set the skybox to record the race but hubby moaning as it clashes with homeland..... 

• Well done Brer! Couldnt have stomached beer if my life depended on it..... 

Meant to say a few people asked about sponsoring me as i was running in my uniform for Birm childrens hosp. Will put a link but not offended if no-one wants to, i know most of us already support lots of charities and hate others begging! 

Www.virginmoneygiving.com/marymorton

• There are little highlites that make the Snowdon Marathon so special every year, and if their missing it goes noticed, and leaves a little sadness and regret.

The regular water station around the corner at 20.4 miles, just before the six cottages with the scruffy gardens, that was missing, it's been there every year since my start in 1995, and not seeing it, with the millions of yellow sponges over the road, and very encouraging water crew, WAS NOTICED WITH REGRET.

You arrive in Rhydd Ddu, knowing that the water station outside the pub, would have the wonderous local eats, chopped up Mars bars, jelly babies, and the occasional BaraBrith, but no, those damn messy High5 energy gels, that if your not careful will cover you in slime.

The magnificent Waunfawr water station, was on top form as usual, with everyone coming out to help, with the familiar faces you see every year, yet at the top of the hill by the corner as you head up towards Bwlch Y Groes, the three regulars with their hands of boiled sweets were missing, and when you reach that stage in the race,usually extremely tired, you feel a sense of loss, however small that those nameless friends were not there to wish you luck and provide the sugary supplements.

All was not lost, because that kindly man was there right on schedule, walking up the steep hill by the mile23 cattle grid water station , with his mixing bowl of wonderous sweets, jelly babies, sugar jellies and the occasional Foxes Glacier fruits.

He has been there every year since I started way back in 1995, you half expect to see him every year, and if he does not show up, you feel a sense of loss.

These people are what make the Snowdon Marathon so special, to most runners in the field, they go unnoticed, but when you have taken part for 19yrs, and have seen their smiling faces every year with their energy giving gifts, they are sorely missed if they do not appear.

I cannot put a name to any of these people, but when you see their absence, it does not go unnoticed, they may not realise it, but it is their very support every year,that makes me return to do the marathon.

Did I finish the race in the torrential rain, with a heavy heart,

You may laugh, but yes I did, friends i love to see and thank for their loyal annual support, we're not there, and that makes me sad.

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

I was first! Well, I was first to the start. found myself a little rock hidden in the verge 100 yards up the road and chilled. I got there at 9:20 ( I was excited, couldn't wait ) so plenty of time to chill. Watched as the set up the start, people arrived, one guy went jogging up the road at a fair lick and didn't come back for half an hour, even faster. had a number but didn't see the name. 

I felt a bit of a fraud in some ways. There I was warming up in the few hundred yards in front of the field, with various runners whose warm up jog is my sprint.

With a few minutes to go I walked back down to the start to look for various people Jason, Stu etc who we're going to be at the front. Didn't see them but saw Tony, wished him good luck and wended my way backwards. Set off at what I felt was a steady pace, I could feel my calf but it seemed to be holding up fine. As I passed a lady, she shouted ' Go Totley'. I steadied back to chat and started off up the hill with her. All was going fine then a few miles in I felt/heard a ' Pop ' in my calf and almost collapsed. I tried to carry on but not a hope and waved her to continue. Thought at that moment my race was over.

I leaned on the wall trying to weight it, worked out how I could weight it so I could walk and set off for the top with the intention of pulling out at Pen-y-Pass. Felt that if I could walk, I could probably adapt it to run, well shuffle, a tad faster. Figured out a kinda half length stride that landed and pushed off from a flat foot, not very efficient and as the race wore on had it's own issues but it was enough to get me to the top.

Where I met an old school buddy I hadn't seen for 30 years. It rWally is a small world!

All thoughts of pulling out were put to one side, I could pull up at the bottom. Just wanted to catch up etc. We chatted as we ran about life, the universe and everything, and I found myself at Beddgelert. As we started up the hill the pain from my calf broke through and again I had to wave someone off. Well, I'm over halfway, I'm less than 2 hours in so I've got plenty of time to walk/shuffle/run the rest of the way, it's not as if I'm going to do any more damage......... 

Chatted and had the craic with various people from there until the top of the big hill where my favourite part of the race starts, the mad, flying, not a clue where your legs are descent back into Llanberis. I guess all those wonderful drugs your body can provide were doing there job. I had some pain, but it seemed to have lessened. 

I got faster and faster as I came down. And then the inevitable, especially after one of my earlier posts about never falling, I fell. Ah well, all part of the fun! 

came flying into the high street and was sub-6 minute miling for the last .2 mile. Perhaps that wasn't wise either.

came in at 4:04, 621st according to TDL. 

Today my calf is swollen, it has gone from a small reddening this morning to a large black/purple area and stiffens as soon as I stop moving it, not looking good to be doing much for a fe weeks. Got a half in 4 weeks, should be fine for then.........

loved having your name on your number so large and getting such personalised support all around the course. I personally couldn't fault anything. Was surprised to hear from the other Totley runner who came in at 5 hours that a couple of the stops had run out of water.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

And now for the report on the Pantri.

SS, you are a star. Please pass on my best wishes and thanks to Wendy and the rest of the crew for putting up with us, providing such wonderful food and company and being, well, perfect.

If Heinekin did Cafe's.........

• Great to read everyone's reports and, as I finished in 4:45, I must have been very close to a few other forumites on here.     Was great to have the tail wind from Beddgelert and generally felt good until the dreaded hill, where I started to feel really sick and dizzy.  Found it really hard to keep on my feet on the descent with the wind gusting so hard (quite scary!), but at least I missed the rain!   Wish I could get some food down me on longer runs, but cannot stomach gels etc, so ran yesterday's race on several Nuun tablets in my water bottle (topping up en route) and six Dextrosol tablets!   Probably explains why I felt so rough at the endimage

Think this, my sixth Snod, will probably be my last ... but would be well tempted to support next year, as the atmosphere is just so amazing.   And this has to be the best forum on RW image

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

I saw Mr Buff on S4C, and for the first time in four years I saw myself too! 

I only do this to get on the telly.....image

• 4.47 for me. Reached half way in about 2.03 and feeling great. Two miles further got cramp in my calves which i couldn't shake off so just had to concentrate on making it to the end.

Did so with the help of Barry from Liverpool so if you are reading this many thanks.

Just watched S4C and saw myself (in the yellow top waving at the camera before the start)image

Just pleased they didn't show any footage of me walking.

Happy to have been part of a fantastic day on an incredible course with great support and marshalling.

Would love to give it another go now that i know the course. If not next year then certainly in 2015.

Well done to all who took part.

• 3:41 for me, knocking over 7 minutes off my best from last year (can't work out how though).  Good to meet you again on the walk to the start,T-Rex - I hope you survived Nantlle in the wind and rain today!

Have to be back next year for number 8, and hoping to continue the recent run of good weather...

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Great reports so far.  Keep them coming in.

First time SNOD-ers - we did try to tell you there was a bit of a slope at mile 22!

Hope you enjoyed the track at mile 6 - my favourite part of the course.

Star performance must be UD Stu - a good room-mate btw - I'll leave him to report.

Honourable mentions for Fieldy and LoveEndures who did an exceptional time for a first marathon (and keeping some back?! - not many people finish SNOD with anything left in the tank).  Also to Chimney for keeping going and Wilder2 - knocking two minutes off at the sharp end is no mean feat.

Great time from RunJono - and all the best for your 50 marathons in 2014!! (brer - there's a target for you).

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Only Lemmy achieved the sub-4 target in 'my' group. Good going, Lemmy.  Didn't see anybody at the start despite scrutinising lots of people's numbers and comparing them with the ones on a copy of The List which I had on the other side of my pacing chart.

Didn't even see my brother, whom I had a meal with on Fri eve so missed a lot of you in Y Pantri.

BritNick was on a mission as usual but I caught up with him about mile 15.  Later on he overtook me on the Waunfawr hill which he managed to run up mostly - I walked the whole of it, right from the bottom.  Didn't seem to have the energy.

Once I got onto the rough miner's track I seemed to be able to go up a few gears and probably overtook everyone who had overtaken me on the climb, on the descent.  BritNick was in view and I followed his line exactly almost catching him at the finish, but he crossed 10s ahead.  Well done BN.  Thought you didn't do sprint finishes?

I got to half way on target but gradually lost time from 14 onwards.  I think if I was not 3-4 minutes behind schedule by 22 I might have tottered up the climb somehow, but I chose to walk.  Made up a lot of time on the descent, though, about 3 minutes. 

Great event and excellent post-race refreshments and banter in various locations until 0100. Where were the rest of you?  And fancy then arriving at your digs only to be locked out in the pouring rain!  That was quite a low moment. Thanks Stu for responding graciously to stones thrown at our window.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

At one watering whole jason seemed to be very insistent that I didn't go up on any high ground the next day with 85 mph gusts forecast.  And so did another random guy in a funny hat.

Weather didn't look inspiring at 0900 so went to my brother's hotel and watched the Indian GP, then walked a 4-mile round trip to lunch at Vaynol Arms (Nant Peris), on the return journey being sandblasted by stones off the road and leaning heavily into the wind to make any progress at all. Perhaps jason and mad hatter were right?

Or were they?

About 1630 I parked up in the car park in Nantmor and set off into the Aberglaslyn Woods for my first summit, Bryn Banog.  It was already getting dark.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Nutter!image Glad you clearly survived.....looking forward to the taleimage

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    TRex you really are a nutter! (though I suspect even in your madest moments your more sensible than the fools who got rescued from cnicht on Saturday - I think the MRT ought to charge people to be rescued if they are not suitably equipped for the conditions)
  • Just catching up...Well done everyone, some great times. Saw quite a bit of carnage out there from 17 onwards which shows how brutal this race is.

What a great race, well organised & excellent route. I'll be back next year. Big thanks to the marshalls as well.

Enjoyed the first climb, was chatting to a guy wearing Vibrams & his mate came past wearing flip flops!, he did in bare feet last year apparently. Garmin decided to switch itself off at the top so I was fiddling around with it, but it would come on for a few mins then go off again ...great. The run down the track is just fantastic, really enjoyed that part, this is where the achilles started giving me a little grief but found that by landing on my heel i could stretch it and that really helped, easy to do on the ups.

Had a quick chat with Camlo (easy to spot!) at the start of the middle hill, enjoyed that challenge but now starting to feel tired and calfs/achilles tightening. Struggled from 17 to 20 and was taking little breaks to stretch, but walked from  about 21 to the top of that rather cruel last bump...going to have to save some legs for that next year, dissapointed I didn't run any of it but was beaten by then. The last downhill was almost as cruel as the up, so steep/rocky/slippy/muddy, my idea of heaven normally but with no legs left it was hard work and even had to walk bits of it.

Finally seeing that 26 mile marker felt amazing & just ran as fast as I could, all a bit of a blur at the end. Tea & biscuits went down a treat though.

4:56 in the end, so happy enough with that, something to beat next year.

Garmin 305 - Quick google & apparently the case comes apart a bit and the contacts inside disconnect so it goes off randomly. I barely had to touch it for the two halves to fall apart, so I just eased up the contacts a touch and siliconed it back together. Hopefully be alright now (it's still taped up at the moment until the silicone sets)

• Wow!  That was an experience!  My pre-race plan of starting out very slowly went out the window at the start and I ran the first 3 miles in about 27 minutes (fast for me!).  Got to Beddgelert in 2:15 and thought I was on to beat my sub 5hr target.

However, someone had put a rather mean hill out of the village.  My pace slowed to a plod all the way to Waunfawr where it slowed further to a walk up the last savage hill!  Coming over the top through the quarry the wind was side on and the rain started driving through as well.  Past caring by that point though and let gravity take me down the slippery slope into Llanberis.  Those last two miles were fantastic though!  By then I knew I was going to finish my first marathon and couldn't stop grinning the whole way down image

Crossed the line in 5:24. 

Yesterday I felt like I should be on crutches!  My nagging shinsplint injury (fine through the race) is now making me waddle like Charlie Chaplin through the office!  Would I do it again?  Definitely!  Next time though I'll be far far better trained and prepared...

• What a fantastic friendly race! Was my first marathan and pleased with my time of 3 hours 55 minutes.  When can I sign up for the next one?!  I loved the off road sections and the scenery was stunning.  Next year I'm going to be more prepared for that final hill at 22 miles ;)

• sounds like we ran a similar race ash-SPimage

(baldy with beard)

pacing obviously wasn't my forte either!

ah well, room to improve (did I really say that?!)

still on route home just waiting for plane from Manchester
  • Back home now after another great weekend in Wales,I really enjoyed the marathon this year and plodded my round in 4.46 only a minute outside my list time so happy with that and I felt good at the finish. My youngest lad came 4th in U10s mini race and earned himself a nice shiny medal,a future snodder me thinks!

Saturday night for me was spent in Padarn lake with ale and large piece of steak,pity the main bar was not open to public.

Good to see SS in his Pantri and thanks for feeding my family as I was plodding round the mountains,looking forward to eating your mustard and pickle this week.

Looking forward to next year already,my kids made me book the hotel as they cant wait to do the mini races again.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Other Half/ Ash-SP - c'mon, guys.  Didn't you realise you finished one behind the other - Ash-SP ahead by 4s?

The sort of thing I notice when I'm looking at results.

Can't seem to get the full results yet, only searchable ones.

Great result for your first mara, Bristol303.  Come in Stanners from the Bridge for your report.