Your favourite medal or other race memento

Comments

• Pretty chuffed with my Welsh slate coaster from yesterdays Snowdonia Marathon. 

• my fave medal has to be my NDW , but my most useful momento is a thermos mug with club name from a local 10k!

• Most useful memento I have is a thin hi-viz Ron Hill running jacket I got for marshalling at the WHW. Favourite medal would be the handmade wooden one I got at the D33 - my first ultra - last year.

• Home made apple crumble, soup, sandwiches and cakes have been pretty useful and very well received in place of medals at events like Belvoir Challenge and Seagrave Wold Challenge too!

• I have had a couple of useful items. A handy towel from the Cardiff Half that I use for spin sessions and a stylish buff from the Pensford 10K. 

I've chosen to do the Avebury 8 because I'm told the pottery mug is very nice.

• For me it's my first Ultra medal from the Lakeland 50... Very hard earned.
  • London Ultra 50K LARGE mug is very useful! All the running Ts are useful as well, of course. I do like my leaf-shaped wooden medals from Royal Parks Half 2010 & 2011.

• i'm with RWD. I don't usually like medals but the wooden D33 one (courtesy of hurricane bawbag) was cute.

i usually like mugs, flasks, etc. something i can use. i only want a medal if i WIN image

• I have a wine decanter from the Marathon du Medoc.  Not very useful, but looks quite nice.

I can happily live without medals.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

My most useful memento is a rubbish sack from the eco trail de Brussel. It fits on my waistband and is great for putting empty gel sachets in.... as well the excellent sports bag I got from the medoc marathon.

I love medals. That is all.

• Old Colin wrote (see)

i think you get a momento of nice pottery from the Marlborough ultra too if i remember rightly.

• I don't have a favourite really. I like to keep race numbers and the number from Lakeland 100 in 2011 is probably the nicest of the bunch image

Dartmoor Discovery does a pretty good tshirt too!

• sad as it appears i keep all my race numbers too-gawd knows why because they mostly look the sameimage i think my NDW is the most crumpled and dusty though, thats the best one.image

• loulabell wrote (see)
    Old Colin wrote (see)

i think you get a momento of nice pottery from the Marlborough ultra too if i remember rightly.

If you get mug for jogging 8 miles what sort of pottery do you get for a proper ultra? image

• im not sure! erm..a pottery Garmin????image

• I keep my race numbers as well, and write time & placing on the back. Which made it particularly annoying when the number disintegrated during the Croydon Ultra!

I've also bought an engraver gadget from Lidl for £7.99, I think it was, so I can engrave the backs of the medals with my name, time etc. (including the name & date of the race, if that wasn't included on the medal).image

• Debs, thats a nifty gadget to have. was that a while back ? anywhere else you know i can get one from?

• I will give an honourable mention to the Greenbelt Relay T-shirts. Before I took part, I always thought tshirts were a naff memento, doomed to the rag bag. However, the GBR colours look good at mass gatherings image
  • slaneuk, i thought tshirts were a bit useless until i had that episode at NDWimage will always carry one with me now-even if its hacked down to sizeimage(p.s dont tell james ive wrecked the ndw oneimage)

• i love the little square glass paperweights that are engraved inside.

like the slate coaster at snowdonia as well..........and the towles from bala tri have been briliant.such good quality and a decent size

• My Golden Running Shoe from the Llanelli Half wins for naffest Race Memento - its so ridiculous, I Love it!

• Loula, you can get a Dremel engraving tool from various online sellers for about £14-£20. Or a battery operated mini engraving tool for about the same price - Sealey E532 - Mini Engraver 2 x AAA Cell. That's what I found by Googling for power engraving tool.

It gave me a ridiculous amount of satisfaction to engrave the details onto the back of the medals - particularly because the cost of the engraver is less than it would have cost to get a single medal engraved in a shop. Pity my hand isn't sufficiently steady to use it to engrave the parkrun perpetual shields - will have to take those in to a proper place today.

• UTMB finishers gilet. A garment that is practical and you feel proud to wear!
  • Loulabell, rofl - could have guessed you hacked your tshirts given what you were wearing for your 50miler!! Did you convert it into a complete outfit?image

Should also mention I do like the medals that are unique to the event, rather than bought on mass from a catalog - they tend to make more interesting talking points!

• slaneuk! thats a fab idea-i could get shorts AND a top out of a tshirtimage....even matching bandana.....

....ok , a step too far with co-ordianationimage

i quite like my Oxford medal with the spires and a BMW miniimage

• My best memento was the pint of coke and packet of salt & vinager crisps a fellow runner bought me in the pub after an ultra, I had forgotten my wallet.

Medals are ok BUT  - memories  are priceless.....

• Paul-G wrote (see)
    UTMB finishers gilet. A garment that is practical and you feel proud to wear!

Yeah, i'd quite like one of those!