Portsmouth Coastal Waterside Marathon

Just a bit of a heads up to anyone out there about the fabulous event. It is almost full up - so get in there quick to avoid missing out on a great, friendly, flattish with mixed terrain, marathon. Great way to get rid of some pounds before the Christmas scoffing takes over.  image

Comments

• I'll be coming along to support that one as usualimage   will be wrapped up nice and warm!!!

• Maybe next year. This is one that I would have to build up for. Sounds like a good race though.

• Snowdonia marathon the bag, Portsmouth...here I come! Looking forward to this one.Never been to Portsmouth!!
  • I missed entry last year. I'm not missing it again this year! Although I'm not yet fit enough to run a marathon yet...

• Pulled out of the New York Marathon this week as I think it's fundamentally wrong to hold an event there when people have no homes, electricity, water, food etc etc and infrastructure should be focused on recovery and clear up. Entered this instead as a sort of consolation and to keep ticking over. Hoping for a cold, bright, windless, dry day image Really, really enjoyed Beachy Head last week as took it very slowly (as was saving a bit for NYC), so might have to work a bit harder on this flat one image

• I was at Beachy last week end too, a bit fresh !

I have register for Portsmouth marathon and hope it will be a good one.

I am from Bromley and was travelling on the Sunday morning, if anyone is from the area and has a spare seat in the car, or if you want if you want to come with me in my car, please message me !

• I'm in. First marathon. Had entered 2 others this year but DNS'd both due to injury and then illness. It is a consolation event for me with no great expections other than to get round. 

I live in hertfordshire but my g/f's family are in Portsmouth and we are there for Christmas so it seemed a plan, but I'm now working on Christmas eve which is going to be a pain!

• How is the course? judging from last year's times quite tough...

• My understanding, and I could be totally wrong is that it is flat but exposed and the main problem is wind.

• Ok, that should not be too hard, hope we can deal with that and have a quiet day...

• Just back from New York. This looks like a fine substitute! image

• Anyone going to be doing this from Cardiff or the south wales area, and driving down with a spare seat? I'm looking for a winter marathon so it's either going to be this or Gloucester.

• Missed NY too, very happy to have this as my last race in my year of running. See www.olympicnick.com for details. Not sure if many race in fancy dress ?? Might get the toga out one last time!!

FH
  • Hey Nick

I felt for you when I heard about NY.  I'm entered for this one too but not sure where my previous posts on this thread have gone?

• Andyp, I think there was another thread about this that has disappeared.

Anyway, my email tells me there is brandy and wine at the water stations, I like the sound of this!

• I definitely like the sound of that 2wheels.....image

• Wow, didn't read my email properly last night..so we are all up for a good party then?!image..Really looking forward to this baby now, what a great end to a year especially for the 12 in 12 crew..you know who you areimage

• hello everyone. Just signed up for this today. I did my first mara at the end of sept (loch ness) and loved it. Have kept ticking over with half marathons in the last 6 weeks but haven't run further than 15 miles since . Will be using the next 40 days to get some long runs in. Lets hope 40 days is long enough to get fighting fit.Starting to panic a bit nowimage

• Did it last year and going back again. It's a nice course, fairly interesting except for a slightly dull stretch by the motorway. The terrain is a bit mixed, short sections on shingle and a little trail, but it's a road shoe course. And very flat!

See you there!
  • More snail than hare. wrote (see)

hello everyone. Just signed up for this today. I did my first mara at the end of sept (loch ness) and loved it. Have kept ticking over with half marathons in the last 6 weeks but haven't run further than 15 miles since . Will be using the next 40 days to get some long runs in. Lets hope 40 days is long enough to get fighting fit.Starting to panic a bit nowimage

You'll be fine - my longest run in the last 6 months was a half marathon last Sunday...

• NICEIRONDAD- do you remember how long the stretch is along the moterway? It doesn't sound very coastal.

2wheels- how did you do in last weeks half?

• 1.49.43 which was a PB by 5 seconds.Mixed feelings, on one hand I was in hospital in July with a heart scare and couldn;t run for most of August so I should be chuffed, but on the other I know if I hadn;t been out till 2 the night before and up in Glasgow for a very messy night on the Thursday I could have gone a couple of minutes faster as I blew massively in the last 1 1/2 miles...

My gameplan for thisis to start off at around 10 1/2 min/mile pace, and grit my teeth in the last quarter.

•  "do you remember how long the stretch is along the moterway? It doesn't sound very coastal."

Just checked on the map, its about 2k each way, top of Langstone Harbour, actually A27 not M27 at that point...

• Hi all

I have done 5 marathons so far this year and just got my PB at Luton a couple of days ago, 3hours 49 mins 9secs,not to bad for someone that was a functioning alcoholic, really looking forward to this one, hopefully see a few of you there, Remember if it gets tough which it does when you are training, remember The 3'Ds Determination Defeats Discouragement!!

• All being well it will be my 3rd Portsmouth since it's first in 2010. As mentioned before, it is flat and takes in a bit of shingly beach, long promenade, old path that used to have a train track on it, bit beside the motorway which is not too bad as you are on a cycle path and most of it is slightly lower than motorway level and you are still beside water - just - as Langstone Harbour is on your RHS - LHS on the back journey. Like all waterside runs it is exposed and yes, if the weather is bad and blowing a hoolie then it will be tough but goes with the territory I guess.

I love it and will be wearing fancy dress for this one - well - 2 days before Christmas so has to be done. image

• I've become so used to running in trail shoes at the moment, having completed the Beachy Head last month. Can anyone tell me if the terrain is forgiving enough to wear trail shoes for 26 miles?

Kind regards
  • Yeh, at the moment trail shoes aren't a bad idea, as going for my long run down there on saturday was quite slippy in places. Its probably only got about 10mi of tarmac, the majority is trail.

• 10 miles of tarmac in proper trail shoes is not my idea of fun . Although there are some bits that can get a bit squishy most of this is runnable in road shoes a lot of the time so keep an eye on the weather. Wind is probably what will have the most effect as the majority of the course is completely exposed.

It's also my 3rd time so they must be doing something right.

• I have to agree with helly........trail shoes not the best for this terrain. I would stick to normal roadies.  image

• Question for locals or those who know - where to go for post-race carb loading of the liquid variety?

The last 2 years we have gone to the Florence Arms (5 minutes from race finish, on way to station, ridiculously long cider menu) but I believe it has gone downhill since a change of management. Any recommendations or is the Flo still OK?