Giants Head Marathon - June 2013

Comments

• Emmy top advice from the beetle master stairs can be very good used to use the arts tower at shef uni for that and while I never managed to get to the top without sounding like some sort emergancy A&E case it did the job. If you visit Caz or someone up north between now and the race shout up and I'm sure we can sort out a hilly run for you. *evil laugh* imageimage

• If you have a chance and its safe run the stairs barefoot it will strengthen your feet and ankles amazingly 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Ummm. Thanks Cake.... (I thinkimage). If i was in Sheffield - I'd just run around the local hills!

I did some mahoosive hills this weekend in France and they nearly killed me so I need to do something.

Is anyone else in the same position?
  • image Local hills for local people. image image

• How about a gym? Use the treadder thing that makes your legs hurt and that I can never seem to push down on. image Or put the treadmill on a silly incline, the gym I very occaisionally go to has treadmills with hill training programmes, that might be an option. Maybe also talk to a trainer about the best exercises, I don't know anything about weights so can't help you there.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thanks for the tip Bex. I hadn't thought of the treadmill incline!

Are you joining the race, Bex?

• If you stretch out the elevation map as far as you can then it looks flat. image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

On google it looks flat... you just dont look at the elevation profileimage

• /members/images/411813/Gallery/elevation.jpg

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Easy peasy.... image

• Its only a few hills (about 9)will have a proer run over the proposed course this weekend 

• Having looked carefully at the elevation data, I would sugest that you practice running up the wall or similar vertical incline. 

• image This is going to be fun just wish I was able to do the Marathon. Mayby next year.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Cake wrote (see)

image This is going to be fun just wish I was able to do the Marathon. Mayby next year.

What's stopping you?... I mean... it'll be a good practice run for outlawimage

• image I wanted to but sarah pointed out that I was a nutcase and needed finesh the Im this year. She said she would hurt my PG tips monkey if I entered. image

• T. mouse, where are you getting the elevation data? there dont appear to be course maps on the website?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

She'd hurt MONKEY?!? image What's wrong with her? image

Talking about hilly marathons... i currently have someone trying to talk me into this one:

/members/images/334358/Gallery/Höhenprofil-Marathon-2010.jpg

Can anyone guess where it is?

• Can't see the writing very well but it looks like fun where is it? image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Luxembourg image Luxembourg marathon at the start of June. I'm thinking of driving over from Belgium for the day so it'll be nice and cheap!

Although.... a hill in the last 5 miles?! Who would be evil enough to do that.... oh wait.... isn't it the same for the Giantshead...image

• Max's Mum I know T.Mouse on facebook and I sent her a couple of prospective maps to look at and glean some elevation data from.

i will have a route just after Christmas I need to speak to the relevant authorities before I publish it.

• Emmy we may well have a hill in the first 5 metres but if we can get the route right the last 3 miles will be flat or downhill

• Just to let you know the race is filling up quite quickly. so stop procrastinating and get in now 

Thanking you

• You'll have to wait til pay day or reserve me a place. image

I think I might get lucky and not get hit or insulted, there again...

• When you have the route sorted then get a KML file for Google Earth.

• Will do its a bit busy in the run up to xmas will let you know

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Goldbeetle - what is the capacity of the race? It'll be good to get an idea of the field of people we'll be running in.

• 200 we are starting off modestly for the first year. in year two we open it up to 30,000 and introduce a ballot image

• Say that we may sneak in a few more if people really want to race image

• Race? you never said anything about a race!!! image

• Long summery run then