Giants Head Marathon - June 2013

Comments

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

GB - well that explains the long stretch on the road before the climb to mile '20'.
    Truth be told, I was glad of a bit of tarmac by then.

GB/Paul a - I guess the issue is not that the race was 'over' distance, its that none of the runners knowing about it (as far as I know) prior to the race. Don't get me wrong I know how these things have to sometimes be re-routed, but if it was known the course deviated (and possibly added distance) wouldn't it have helped to have made this known at the pre race briefing?
    Not that it makes much difference, but its easier to judge pace when you know how far you have to go.

Ice creams surely a must for next year

Emmy (et al.) - back on garmins, and I reiterate I'm no fan of them, but its always got me how they seem to come out longer. Sure most wearers don't take the shortest line, but even .1 of a mile is a 160m wobble off the true line.
    Add in that they work off an intermittant signal (every 1s,2s, 5s etc) then they are plotting a straight line rather than a curve, same as if they lose a signal through trees. Same principle for uphill running: they measure two points on the same horizontal plane, but Uncle Pythagoras tells us its will be slightly longer if an incline is there. All of which should add up to a garmin 'coming in short'.
    Or are they just not very good?
    Apologies if that makes no sense or if I'm rambling...

Oh and thanks for the results. Can't believe how far up the field I was....

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Dustin - I've actually had them shorter as well but normally it's around 1km longer in most marathons which I think is roughly OK. On the shorter distance (half marathons/10km) there's been a few times where it's come up short.

I don't know - I just don't completely trust it during races as it can also be affected by other garmins!

• Yay I was as bad as i thought I was! 132nd get in! image Am I the slowest forumite???

How the hell did the bloke at the front run that faster than I can run a flat road marathon. I think we need on the spot drug tests next year! Or I need to get my finger out and run up some hills image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Lol - Mr. Vicar - you were definitely not the slowest! I'm behind you!

• And I'm further behind.....

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Vixx... if you didnt know what we were talking about it sounds like we're ganging up on the Vicar and planning to scare himimage

• HE'S BEHIND YOU!

I think we are more hardcore. It's nothing being out there for like 3-4 hours but pushing over 6! Makes us better in my eyesimage

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I looked up the winner on power of 10, and unless there are two of them, he's a 2.35 marathon runner

• Hmm rather rapid then. I'd love to be able to run that. But no matter how hard I try I just don't think a 6ft 1 12 1/2 stone bloke could do it? I run 30 -40 miles a week and about the ramp it up to the 50 mile mark next week ready for the Salisbury 54321 50k. Just trying to see how much faster I can get. I genuinely gave GHM everything I had. Although the chap who won probably has been racing marathons for quite a long time whereas the first time I ever ventured past 20 miles was in June this year. image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

On the subject of Garmins, mine is nearly always bang on.  

It might vary slightly from mile markers , but by the end it usually says what the measured course is supposed to say, both on road and off.

My OH's Garmin will give very different (longer) distances, even if we are running together.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Well done Vicar image

• widow hog-mouse wrote (see)

Having looked carefully at the elevation data, I would sugest that you practice running up the wall or similar vertical incline. 

The wonderful RW forum code took me back to page 1 of this thread by accident, but it did show me this little gem above .... and I have to say it was pretty spot on, especially that 2nd to last one going up to the mile 'ahem' 20 station.

Things are beginning to settle down a bit now, and the kids have even stopped barbecueing burgers on my face, so think I have come through relatively un-scathed with only one blister of note to report, oh and slight pull to my quad but I seemed to do that getting in the car when leaving Sydling after the race!!!

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I know we are wary of taking garmin measures, but what was the consensus elevation on the route?

Bruce - I prudently applied suncream on saturday (and wore a hat) so came away realtively unscathed.
    What I omitted to do was repeat that on Sunday for the kids athletics, so I am now sporting a brilliant red forehead.
    And no blisters...now that did surprise me.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thanks GB image

Dustin - I was absolutely petrified as i've previously had issues with my knees when running. Saturday was the first marathon in a few where I've had no issues with my knees and felt great. No blisters - i might get used to this off road stuff!

• goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭

Just to confirm we will be back next year bigger better and a mile or two shorter

• I'll be back. I want to finish next years

aha you never paid me for your hoody Steve

• GB - It's a long shot but any large hoodies left?

PM me Vixx on Facebook

• goldbeetle wrote (see)

Just to confirm we will be back next year bigger better and a mile or two shorter

And a half mara? image

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I think the half maybe a tad over distance, say 26.2 miles. image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I think we just get more money out of our entry if it's longer than the advertised distance image

• I already have this booked in my diary for next year.

Cuddles, kisses, cake and cider at mile "something" anyone?? image

• I'm gutted that I won't be able to do it next year (already committed to a different race), i said never again (like you do) but was already plotting next year's tactics by the next morning! 

Emmy, I also have a lot of problems with my knees and descents really play them up but, just like you, I didn't have any problems at all on Saturday!

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

We've got a whole year to train. image Might even get some running in as well.

Rose Im up for Sector marshal at Corfe in the Purbeck marathon this year if anyone is doing that WSR will be owning the village and it will be GiantsHeadmarathonbanneredtodeath liike Andy and Lorraine did at the Cerne Abbas crossing

• We'll make sure that you're near an appropriate fence then!!!

Thats good we might have recovered by then