P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Priority has to be a good marathon so I think what is important after a long run in March is the next weeks training

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

deffo fatigue, Craig. We are all struggling with the training load at the mo. Plus you have good days and sometimes bad ones. Depending on stress levels, hydration, nutrition .... there's so much that has an effect on our running. Just chalk it off as "one of those runs" ...

lit: hope the leg is ok

HeOw: goddamn blasted foot indeed. I wish I could say I was running pain free image ... you have youth on your side. Old biddies like me have to put up with pain all the time image If it's not the foot, it's the knee or the hip ...

Right guys, I'm signing off until March 17.

Did my 22 today. Cold and very very very windy. It was hard work. Nevermind, it's done.

95 miles in the last 7 days image - looking forward to a week of easy stuff. It will be cold in Denmark but the house has its own fireplace and a sauna too. Plus we have access to a fancy gym. I may even do some dreadmill running image

• Sounds amazing Chick. Enjoy. I am very jealous!

• Chick flipping eck missus that is fabulous mileage !!! have a great time in  Denmark well done on getting that 22 done

Heow I really hope to foot improves you havce worked so hard.

LIT Nice bouncing, swingingand running

Caz glad you are feeling a little more positive after your half, as everyone says we didnt exactly taper did we ...you are  doing fine hun image

I managed to do the strides sessions last night did 7 miles in 60 mins felt fine HR ok and legs not complaining so back on it this weekend..

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Chick, that is hardcore mileage. Are you sure you're not NP in disguise?

Glad you're feeling better NN. I didn't do too much swinging but plenty of balancing, and also 'chicked' some boy in trapeze class too:tried to teach him to do a neck balance but he couldn't stand the pain. image

• Swinging was a bad choice of words really..image

you must be very strong though Lit.

• I can honestly say I don't think I have ever met, spoken to, blogged with or in any other way bumped into somebody that does trapeze classes.  Very unusual sport Lit

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Chick...that's a lot of miles. Enjoy Denmark...surely they have internet though?!

• Thanks for the replies, great help
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

12m MLR today.  Feeling better on the run itself, but not so good as usual afterward.  I had a lot on my mind so my pacing was a bit hit-and-miss, though still in the right range overall.  In general my heart rate readings were about 6bpm higher than normal.  All of which points to me not having recovered from the race.  It's probably best if I stick to a recovery run tomorrow in advance of Sunday's LR.

My daughter has the flu, so I'll find out whether the jab I had last October was worth the money.

• Go CazGo Caz ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your daughter, Ten. There seems to be so much illness around at the moment. The tummy bug is doing the rounds at work, plus colds and flu everywhere. I just hope that means we'll all be fine in April (touches wood). Re the MLR, I don't think too much concentration on pace is necessary. It's more about the miles, and as you say, you were within the range.

Re doing a race the day after a long run, it sounds a bit bonkers to me but I'm sure there are some on here who would do it!

NN, glad to hear you are up and running again.

Good conversation on here about marathon pacing the other day. I had not really thought about London being (slightly) downhill at first. is it best to take advantage of that or just keep it on pace?
  • Craig - it's the name of the game isn't it?  One day, we can be doing a recovery run and just know that we could probably go for a 5k PB and do it - but we don't.  Then the next day, we have the tempo and there is no go in our legs.  Weather doesn't help either.  You have 4 kids, you do night shifts and you look after your kids too when your wife is in work - you also train very very hard. You will find that you suffer some runs but come Manchester, we know you will nail that sub 3.  I think you are training the best you probably ever have but you still have a lack of confidence about your abilities - believe in yourself mate, you have good things to come. image

Fuck me Chick (well not literally) - that is some mileage.  Now go rest and drink and be merry and all that British shit. Enjoy.

NN - how you feeling now? 

Been to see my physio running friend today - she kindly text me this morning and told me to come to see her so she could look at my foot.  Turns out she doesn't think it is tendon issue, it is joint issue and that is better.  She massaged foot and pissed about with it for a bit and said I should be fine to run, it might hurt but it won't be harmful.  Just need to man the fuck up then. 

Shall read back on everyones runs now and reply shortly. **sips bottle of Sol** **getting fat**

• Lit - stop swinging lover, it is bad for the hips.  You want to start dogging instead.  It is more a spectator sport. 

15W - I was kind of being dramatic, it's what I do best.  I will survive, oh yes, I will survive. image  How's the pup?  Hope it hasn't swallowed £2,000 of your finest pound notes yet (happened to us). 

NP - I am going to train to be a firefighter, I have decided that it is the only way forward for me.  I may then have an idea how to stop my smoke alarm beeping all fucking night long. 

Mennania - it's a DATE!  Err, I am thinking maybe wait until my god damn foot works properly?  Tune up race sounds good, I am supposed to be doing Salford 10k as one on Good Friday.  Hope you have your mojo back?

Chris - the 9m/m will do you good.  You may find doing slower recovery runs help?  

Ten - hope you side step the flu and your daughter is ok.  How old are your kids again?  

• Heow great news re the foot , so when are you testing it out ?

Craig after reading Heows post, she obviously knows you and your circumstances,, all I can say is no wonder you are tired. I must add you are one of the runners on here that really impresses me and  even more now I know how difficult it must be to juggle work and family....FOUR kids !..

Ten you are doing great, a 12 miler just days after racing a half is going to be hard, well done and I hope the flu jab does its stuff, I had one also, we can get them through work, but by the time I drove there at the allotted time and paid to park it was easier to go to Tesco..paid £10 and had mine there.....resists horse/bute jokes, all too obvious..

Nice easy recovery a the schedule says , and I am not ashamed or embarrassed to so it was 9 min miles..image

Will do last tues 9  miles with  600s tomorrow and may leave the long run till monday, as out tomorrow night and may just may have a drink..only one though

• Flu jabs and P&D.  Brilliant!  Not many of us are early twenties are we?!  I love that about this thread - we are all people with hard lives, all ages and still, we manage to rock the training as best we can.  Big pat on the back people.  I thought this before, when I was 25, I was just married, had all the time in the world but I sat on my arse doing nothing.  The older I have got, the more I have to juggle stuff, the more satisfaction I get from doing this.

NN - not sure what I will do to be honest - I am a bit cautious re niggle turning into injury so may just take it day by day.  I would rather give it a few more days and start back on training properly rather than tentatively do 3-4 milers and set myself back.  I do think I will be dropping one of the recovery runs from the plan though full stop and cross training.  No point overtraining. 

• Thanks for the comments, thinking back on today's run, the weather was horrendous and freezing cold bitter wind for the first 2 miles of the LT, also looking at the run I had 3.5 mile hilly warm up, 4 miles averaged 6.01 and then 2.5 miles cool down, I felt fine when I got in just had to dig deep on the LT section.  Anyhow the run has been bagged and 7 mile GA tomorrow followed by 17 on Sunday.  My life is fairly busy working 3 shifts, my Wife works and have 4 children, so I have to juggle a lot of time around and sometimes find I can be running at odd hours, but its what we do.  Just a quick one for you, I am in contact with my Uncle in regards to my running, he has ran all his life mainly for the Army in the 70's & 80s, got onto the subject of marathon times, I said I was looking around 2:50-2:55 ish, he then told me his PB for marathon was a 2:17!!

• Now that's some time. All the old fellas love reminding us how marathon standards in the uk aren't anywhere near as good as they used to be. And unfortunately they are right! I guess modern lifestyle just doesn't lend itself to the kind of training that those guys did back in the day. Part of me envies how they were able to rack up huge mileages without other distractions getting in the way, but part of me still thinks a 3 hour marathon in today's modern world (with all it's distractions) would still be some achievement! Kudos to your uncle though.
  • If you get a 3:05 Chris, will that be less of an achievement then...? image

Craig - did your uncle do that on a course or just running with the Army?  Pretty brilliant either way! 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Evening all. Just back from the pub. 6.3 miles with the club this evening and then took a friend to dinner as she's been having a hard time and wanted to talk about it. I count as 'older and wiser', apparently.

All I have to say is: FOUR (4) kids? Crikey.

Also, HeOw, I was told off at trapeze class for not spreading my legs wide enough...

• Having to go into town this morning so no park run.  Got up early and did a hilly eight mile tempo run instead at an average of 6.22 pace.

Only did a 30 second running on the spot warm up so was a bit stiff at first.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Chris J77 wrote (see)
    Now that's some time. All the old fellas love reminding us how marathon standards in the uk aren't anywhere near as good as they used to be. And unfortunately they are right! I guess modern lifestyle just doesn't lend itself to the kind of training that those guys did back in the day. Part of me envies how they were able to rack up huge mileages without other distractions getting in the way, but part of me still thinks a 3 hour marathon in today's modern world (with all it's distractions) would still be some achievement! Kudos to your uncle though.

LMAO Chris.  The seventies and eighties weren't exactly the stone age image  Believe it or not, there were distractions way back then too.

HeOw - my son is 6 and my daughter is 5.  Being able to run marathons is not so much a luxury as a fekin' necessity image  If there is reincarnation, I'll start a family earlier next time around - and start running in my twenties!

Caz - agree - hopefully this is the end of the colds/flu until at least May!  The kids are on Easter break for two weeks leading up to my marathon, so I'm hoping it reduces the chances of them bringing home something nasty at the last minute!

NN - good to see you're running again.

Craig - great run bagged!

I'm going to do a short recovery on the treadmill today.  I'd better download marathontalk to keep me occupied.

• literatin wrote (see)

Evening all. Just back from the pub. 6.3 miles with the club this evening and then took a friend to dinner as she's been having a hard time and wanted to talk about it. I count as 'older and wiser', apparently.

All I have to say is: FOUR (4) kids? Crikey.

Also, HeOw, I was told off at trapeze class for not spreading my legs wide enough...

Well, I see your four and raise you two! (not that it's a competition or anything!) - not quite the same though as my youngest is now 25 so they've all flown the nest (have a funny & regular habit of returning though, but we wouldn't have it any other way would we?!)

Rest day for me today (after the 9.5M Vo2 max yesterday) then a slow 22 tomorrow am - enjoy the weekend runs everybody! 

• HeOw - He did it in a marathon, think it was somewhere in Germany, he did a few sub 2:30 when he was in the Army.  We were talking over his mileage and he was running up to and around 150mpw.

• Tenjiso wrote (see)
    Chris J77 wrote (see)
    Now that's some time. All the old fellas love reminding us how marathon standards in the uk aren't anywhere near as good as they used to be. And unfortunately they are right! I guess modern lifestyle just doesn't lend itself to the kind of training that those guys did back in the day. Part of me envies how they were able to rack up huge mileages without other distractions getting in the way, but part of me still thinks a 3 hour marathon in today's modern world (with all it's distractions) would still be some achievement! Kudos to your uncle though.

LMAO Chris.  The seventies and eighties weren't exactly the stone age image  Believe it or not, there were distractions way back then too.

That made me chuckle as well. 

Strangely there were a lot less runners back then in terms of not so many races, less people taking part but generally the standards were higher.  Running I think is in a good place with the number of people that do run but IMO many do take it up later in life so it still lacks a young base that might raise those standards again.  There is no doubt that kids are not playing sport the way older people did in their younger days, look at local football and you will find the leagues have half the teams they did 10 years ago.  A piece on BBC this week about squash acknowledged that the numbers playing the sport have gone down by half a million in ten years. 

I have worked in two main jobs in my life, the forces and professional sport, and both find the base level of fitness of young people starting out to be at a lower level. 

Anyway run before work today was a 9 miler with 5 at tempo.  The local Parkrun is about half a mile from where I am sat at work as I write and conditions look great out there for a 5kimage

20 miler tomorrow.

• Had a bad day yesterday, spent the whole day in hospital with my girlfriends dad who was quite ill. He seems to be a bit better today thankfully. I think I've picked something up now tho, I've had a bit of a sore throat this week and its spread to my chest which is bad because I've got asthma.

Think the next few days will be a write off, trying to get into to see the emergency doc today.

You realise how lucky we are being able to train for a marathon when you see some of the people in hospital.
  • Hope all goes well for you Mark and all the family.  You're right, it's good to be fit and healthy.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that Mark, hope you and your girlfriend's dad are both on the mend.

Feel a bit guilty now for not wanting to bother with a tempo run (to replace the non-existent tune-up race). In the end I just decided to go out for a nice 10-mile run and play with paces a bit, so was aiming for 3 miles easy, 1x marathon pace, 1x easy, 1x LT pace, 1x easy, 1x MRP, 2x easy. 1st MRP and LT worked out about right at 7:20 and 6:30, though the latter was really hard work into a headwind and I was glad I hadn't gone for several of them in a row. But doing the second MRP mile on a more sheltered stretch of path it felt really easy and I ended up doing LT pace again and having to slow down (6.45). So what I learnt from this is that (1) I'm crap at judging paces, and (2) I had a bit more energy than I thought after a late night and slightly too much wine. I then did mile 10 at MRP and managed to hit it this time (7.13).

• Cheers JF and Lit, hopefully he's on the mend now.

I've just gotta be careful with the asthma and not make it worse so it's hopefully just gonna be a few days off from running.

Good running everyone the last few days, good luck with the long runs 2moro!
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

mark - take it easy - don't run if that cough is in your chest.

Did a park run this morning, with the jog there and back was 10mi altogether. Have no idea my park run time yet...I reckon between 18 and 19 minutes somewhere. That is only my second parkrun - but they really are excellent and as I live fairly close by will be taking part a lot more this year once I get this marathon out the way.

Hope all your weekends are injury free.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Alright crew.  Had a barmy few days. Did my 8 with 6 x 600 tempo on Thursday, 13 with 6 at MP last night and 20 this morning. It is fair to say I am fooked now. Am going to my mates to drink some dirty beer and watch the rugga. Good running All!!