P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• NN I think with the diet most of us eat that solid poos, though I like pops as well Fiona, one of the funnier autocorrects, is probably a rare occurrence so well done Chris.

After Sunday's unimportant 20 with 14 at MP, in what I can only descibe in HeOw's terms as the worst wind in the world, ever since earth was formed, I have picked up a couple of injuries, the first ones during this programme, a bad back which doesn't like quick waking at the moment and a left foot issue under the arch.  Just hoping a couple of days rest will knock them on the head.

Or I could be back to Jack Daniels, a large one to kill the pain.

Men I hope you get dug out soon.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all.

JF50 - watch that foot arch niggle - stretch it out if you can...could be early symptons of plantar fasciitis which you want to nip in the bud.

Thinking of jigging my schedule round a bit due to some DOMS still in my legs from sunday's race, and the upcoming easter weekend. May move next weeks friday 5 mile run to today, and then shift everything forward by a day...so my long run will be on easter monday. I then will shift it all back at the end of next week. Ok? Good.

• it turns out the results for my 10k on Sunday were posted incorrectly, and now i can't update my runbritainrankings profile, which is a minor disappointment.

I registered in advance, but they didn't have my race number in the pack when i went to collect it before the race, so they just gave me another one. Unfortunately they didn't update their form or whatever, so I now appear as "AN Other" with my 48:14 finish, and presumably they gave my race number to someone else, who finished in 41 mins.

I've asked them to update their results and repost to the runbritainrankings site, so i can update my profile. I'd be happy with a 41mins 10k, but i need to earn it first.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Ok I get it, 18 with 14 rescheduled for Friday with final 20+ on Monday. Nice heavy week.

No lights or reflectors running on restriced icy roads with pavements under 4 foot of ploughed snow in the dark means get home ASAP for me hence not even considering 18 last night.

Next week has 13 pmp on Saturday with 17 on Sunday - Got a 10k race booked for next sunday - whats the view? bump the 17 back till Monday or try and do both and incorporate the 10k race into the long run?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Men - I reckon 10k on the sunday, 17 on the monday if you can fit it in. Both your options would work though.

• I'm doing 600m repeats later, just wondering how much recovery time you would have in between the intervals.  I will be running them around 5:34 pace, I was thinking around 1 and half minutes recovery time, does this sound about right??

Plenty of snow still here in North Wales, the busier roads are clear though and i'm off work all week, so i'll have to stick to the main roads for my training this week, I usually tend to get up into the hills and onto the lanes where it is quiter but those lanes are inpassable at the moment.

Hope everyone is ok and training is going well. 

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

You Buckley way arent you Craig? Its gone by the time you get to Dee level - Saltney and queensferry are oK,  the greenway and cycle path on the Dee are clear aswell. I will be heading down there myself over the next few days.

• Yes not far from Buckley, Mold. Main roads are clear.

• No snow left here at all Mennania. You watch, I guarantee, we will have hottest April on record. Maybe incorporate the 10k into the longer run Men? Do extra easy miles each side? Don't go full out though, race it but not kill yourself.  

AgentGinger - well done on the 41m 10k!  image Seriously though, surely they should sort that out...? 

Back on the sick bench big time.  Whole of my face has swollen up, I am bed ridden with infection from the abscess and feeling very sorry for myself.  I don't want to think about the plan at the mo, I can only do what I can do.  I feel I shall have to reassess my goal to be honest, especially as I cannot really be obliterating my body doing tune up races etc over next 2-3 weeks.  I am booked in to have tooth out next Thursday so next week or so going to be hard to do anything decent.  As long as I can fit 20 in with 14 MRP then I will be ok, it is THE ONLY run you need to do, in fact, we all could have jibbed the plan full stop, did the 14 MRP run and all smashed sub 3. image

Craig 50% of the time it takes to do the interval should be fine?  I think 90% too long a recovery. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I did my VO2 intervals this morning so I can run with my club tomorrow. They were a bit shit with the same alternating headwind/tailwind thing as Sunday, but I did them. Also, like a moron, I accidentally programmed the 1200 intervals to repeat 6 times but not the recoveries. So had to stop the timer in between and just guess the recovery times and now Garmin connect doesn't think I ran 11 miles.

HeOw, don't think about the plan at all (except that really really important run) until you're feeling better. As you say, there's nothing you can do about it right now.

• HeOw, sorry I know it's not funny, but who else now has a picture from Fawlty Towers when Basil hid Sybil in her bedroom on her birthday and she had stuffing in her cheeks to look swollen. image sorry.

15W yes the foot is getting special treatment and actually feels fine now.  I wonder if now is the time to change shoes, current ones have probably logged up over 400 miles since new in January?

• I would love to post a photo of my face but I am far too vain JF50!! I did laugh at the Fawlty Towers comparison - I haven't seen that one, wonder if it is on YouTube?!  

Literatin - I am anal about shit like that, in fact, I have manually typed in the correct elevation for EVERY fucking mile of the Wilmslow HM on my stats.  I was so pissed off the elevation was wrong!  Well done on your intervals. 

• Anyone know, if I don't do tune up races, will it mean I run a shit marathon?! 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Speaking as someone who hasn't done any tune-up races (and isn't planning to on her god damned BIRTHDAY), I would categorically say NO. Everyone knows people who don't run tune-up races are actually BETTER at marathons.

Not like 14-mile mp runs. Those are essential.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

HeOw - yes.  Sorry to hear about your face...I think you should post a pic...

I gave myself an extra bit of recovery and cross trained in the gym. 10 minutes each on rower, bike, x-trainer and treadmill. Hopefully DOMS will be mainly gone by tomorrow.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

HeOw, maybe you could make that picture of your face into your forum avatar?

I have DOMS too but in my arms from climbing in a freezing cold gym on Sunday. It hurts to straighten my right arm. Legs still work though.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

JF50 - I reckon now would be a very good time to change shoes, to wear them in a bit before race day.

• HeOw - oh dear, you have every right to feel sorry for yourself.  Hopefully the antibiotics will sort it out soon.  My OH had a similar thing a few years ago - very nasty.

JF50 - glad the foot is feeling better, how is the back?

Lit - I haven't done any races at all during this plan. image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Actually for Chester last autumn I followed P&D and didn't do any tune up race (unless you include 1 park run) and I had a successful marathon. If you've followed the schedule and focused on the key sessions you'll be good. Any tune up races the schedule asks for just replace with a lactate threshold run.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

HeOw - everyone is being nice to you because of your rapidly expanding noggin, but the truth is - YES, you will be completely Shit. Everyone knows that the 18 with 14 thingy is pants and its the tune up races that count. Did I mention that I have one booked  Sunday next at Wrexham?! Job Done - sub 2.30 beckons for me thenimage. On a serious note though - you have done 2 half races I think in this campaign which will prove to be significantly more beneficial than a 5k flounce in racing shoes.  Heres to a speedy recovery.

JF50 - you doing any core work to assist the back?

Got my vo2 tonight but holding back to 10k -hm speed .

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Mennania wrote (see)

Everyone knows that the 18 with 14 thingy is pants and its the tune up races that count.

Piss off Men, you're just jealous.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Lit - if you want to be a sheeple and follow all those that say that running 14 miles at MP during a LSR is good practice for a 26 mile race at MP, well jolly good luck to you I say. But it seems obvious to me (laughs smugly) that a balls out 5k at lung bursting speed has much more in common with an endurance event such as the marathon. image (my 18 with 14 has been rescheduled for Fri amimage)

Sitting here with a Beet it drink which is apparently going to turn me into Wilson Kapsang. Or just turn my pee purple. Looking forward to the results either way! On a scale of 1 to 5 of foulness (number 1 being beer and number 5 being drinking raw sewerage) it would be a number two.

• HeOw, you should live over this way, they have P & D warm up races every Saturday in the park, very convenient, organising guy at one said it's a cert having a good marathon if you follow the book to the letter.

Men, nothing more than usual, which isn't much, feels much beter today though s going to test it tonight.

15w, I have my next pair of shoes ready to go, so just need to open the box

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

(((HeOw)))  Hope you feel better soon.  

HeOw wrote (see)

Anyone know, if I don't do tune up races, will it mean I run a shit marathon?! 

nah, they don't really mean much. I've completed 2 successful P&D campaigns with not a single tune up race. I am going to race a half on Monday April 1st though image. What was I thinking?

Last long MLR today -- 15. Did 10 @ MP coz it was cold and nasty and I was pressed for time. On the naughty step now image

• Can I be brutally honest, it is the recovery runs which are what make the difference and if you ran those 5 secs too slow or too fast, your marathon is fucked and you might as well not bother even vaselining your nipples as you won't make it past mile 2 and everyone who reads RW and has pissed themselves at this thread, at all us killing ourselves to do a marathon time we probably could have done following the "Only Way is Essex Guide to Marathon Training", will run past shouting "you twats have been had!".  image  In fact, I am thinking it isn't too late to just start another training plan...  

Tried to post a picture, RW decides to make me look stupid instead, it could have been funny but the spontaneity has gone now.  Off to do an  exact recovery run!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

HeOw - You are on to something there me thinks - get it copyrighted quick image 

• literatin wrote (see)
    Mennania wrote (see)

Everyone knows that the 18 with 14 thingy is pants and its the tune up races that count.

Piss off Men, you're just jealous.

Lit you took the words right out of my mouth image

ChicK 15/ 10  sorry love thats just NOT good enough image

I did the 11 mile interval thingy this morning image

Shall we start a list

THOSE WHO HAVE COMPLETED THE 18/17..WITH 14@MP PROPERLY 

Night Nurse image

• JF50  WRONG !!! Thats not what you were meant to do