P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Brilliant result Chris!  I can see how you were gutted to exceed your expectations - hang your head in shame image

Lit - you beat me to it!  We always think we could have done better.  Though in my case that is, of course, a fact image

• I did it a few years ago, it is a great course for a PB but my god yes it can be VERY windy !!!

• Yeah nn - would have loved to have run it without the wind. I nearly cried when I got out of the car and nearly got blown over after driving so far to be there. Just goes to show some things are out of our control. Fingers crossed for a still and calm marathon day.

Thanks ten and mark - still not convinced on the marathon distance . But pfitz is clearly working as that's a 2 min PB from following the plan. Just praying it works for the main event!
  • Fantastic time Chris, well done mate.
  • I have PB twice so far on the plan, half marathon by 5 minutes, 10k by 40 seconds, I have a 5 mile on Wednesday evening, my PB is 29:27 for the distance, who knows???,
  • LIT , you are in the same group as me, group one for the runners/supporters thread that means you have to run with me at my pace image

• Cheers Craig. I reckon you will be down under 29 the way you are going. Just smashed a KFC in followed by my prized Crème Egg!

• It's becoming like 'who can PB, while doing the P&D marathon plan', thread now. Good confidence boosters though, well done once again.
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Chris fantastic PB well done hpoe you enjoyed your egg. Your well on for a great marathon just control the first halfimageimageimage

NN if its as per the weather forcast thats perfect conditionsimage enen give or take a few daysimage

6 mile recovery run in the bank with plenty of bounce in the tankimage.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Good job it's a rest day for me.  I've got a case of the sniffles. image  Sleep deprivation from looking after the little itchy one isn't helping.... erm hang on that sounds a bit oo err... I'm referring to my daughter and her chicken pox.  

I can't get excited by the weather forecast, because they often change dramatically in the last few days run-up.  

Out of interest, does anybody have a plan or advice regarding what to do if the race day is significantly warmer than we've been used to?  Let's say it's 5C/10F hotter than we've been training in - how would you adjust your pace and expectations?  What about 10C/20F hotter (which is easily possible, given the garbage weather we've had so far)?

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Well done Chris image whoa so fast image

I ran a half marathon today and got a PB despite running comfy image.

Perfect day looking out of the window. Light breeze, brilliant sunshine and minus 5 degrees!! Eeek!! Mighty cold that is. So ran in tights, long sleeve top, buff and hat. Disaster at the start: Garmin had frozen and would not be revived. Had dropped it this morning which must have killed the start button. So I was to run naked. Off we went. Settled with a group of 2 girls and 3 blokes. Running felt good. Pretty easy. As we trotted along, 2 girls passed our little group. 4 of the 5 I ran with upped the pace. I stuck with one guy as it was only 5k in and still a long way to go. And I did not want a flat out race. At 10k I caught one of the girls. At 13k the next. At 17k another. Had dropped the guy somewhere too. Kept going like that. No one passed me but I couldn't get that other girl from the start. Crossed the line with the clock showing 1:33:59 (now rounded to 1:34:00 in the official results).

4th lady, 1st old bird home. Happy.

Particularly happy because I ran well within myself and my estimate of a comfy 1:34/1:35 was spot on.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Ten if it is warmer dont over do the fluids but use the water to keep yourself cool. If you think about it you should cool the head and core as well as the big muscles in the legs. There is water every mile so you should be able to keep cool enough image but looking at the forecast its going to be perfect image
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Chick first naked old bird homeimage fantastic running and a great PB imageimage (can't do the party guy on my IPad ;-()
  • Brilliant PB chickadeee, great write up. Well done.
  • Amazing time chick. No better feeling than passing people from earlier on. Great stuff.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Night Nurse wrote (see)

LIT , you are in the same group as me, group one for the runners/supporters thread that means you have to run with me at my pace image

Okay, if you like we can compromise on 7.35s?

Congratulations Chickadeee!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Well done chick and Chris.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Agreed, great stuff from Chris and chick. You mst be really loking forward to the main event - great thinks to come me thinksimage

15 progressive today, Into taper nowimage

• Evening mofos.  I am sat, on couch, with a fur fecking blanket wrapped around me and it is April.  What is going on?   Just reading through last couple of days posts so apologies if I miss anyones super duper running.  

Chick - holy cow Batman.  I think I love you.  Well done!  THat is awesome running and love you did it naked.  I wish I had the arse to run one naked. 

Well done Chris on a brilliant 10k PB and I hope that has given you the an extra bit of confidence.  

Ten, hope family ok re illness - did your wife end up with abscess?  

Welcome to your tapers everyone doing London. Lucky bastards. 

I am back in the game kiddas.  I did.... DRUM ROLLLLL...  VIZ NEWS FLASHHHH...  10k recovery with STRIDES.  FUCKING STRIDES.  Yes, I felt like I was Usain.  Alas I looked a twat but I am back from my death bed and felt fine so will trot on with the plan, will drop a couple miles here and there as no point depleting myself by hitting a 52 week.  Not sure I am back to full health to hit V02 paces yet though.  I also have huge time issue with kids being off, husband recovering from his op and he is out all weekend working too.  So, may have to do the 20 with 14 at MRP Wed/Thur which really isn't what I wanted to do but better to get that run out of the way. 

• PS.  I don't swear much in real life you know.  Just do it when chatting about running.  It gets me all excited yer see... image

• Welcome back HeOw. Now wash your dirty mouth out.

Amazing race times Chris and Chick. More PBs cast aside with nothing but contempt.

VO2 session for me early doors tomorrow morning. You lucky lot on the up to 70 schedule seem to escape VO2max this week according to my copy of The Good Book.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Al, yes we do escape this week, but we have to do an evil VO2 session next week. And tomorrow we have FUCKING STRIDES. image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    HeOw nice to see you back but If I was you I would just do the 20 and forget the MP no need to wipe yourself out now better to get to the line feeling fresh.

Men well done on the 15 progressive.

Al enjoy the V02 max tomorrow.
  • NP good advice - maybe I just see how I feel on the run?  I NEED TO DO THESE FOURTEEN MILES AT RACE PACE, I WILL NEVER SEE THE LIGHT AGAIN IF I DON'T.

• Nice to see you back on here HeOw. Have you just resumed the plan.

I have v02 max on Wednesday, but there is a local 5 miler on Wednesday evening, think I will do that and just make the miles up.

Again great PBs today, well done.
  • Great to have you back running HeOw. Hopefully that's an end to the bad luck once and for all.

NN - Results have been posted from today so you can Power of 10 stalk your clubmates! No prizes for guessing who I am!

http://www.thepowerof10.info/results/results.aspx?meetingid=77775&pagenum=1

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Aha! Now we can powerof10 stalk all your results, Chris!

• Can't beat a good bit of Power of 10 stalking!

* Might double lock the door tonight just in case.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Yeah sorry, that was a bit scary. But actually genuinely useful stalking, as I notice your times in 2011 were similar to mine this time last year, except that your rate of improvement has been much faster than mine. I'd better lose a few lbs and start working a bit harder!