P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• JF50 pm me your number if you dont mind..just in case there is a problem with trains or whatever , so save you hanging around if we are going to be late, I will be with my brother

Fiona, the thing is, it is improving all the time it would be easier to make a decisions if it wasnt..image and well done to you and Lit for losing that weight I also try not to over do the carbs unless they taste of chocolate..and when I was younger, well till I was 35 I spent most saturday AND Sunday mornings sleeping off a hangover..image

Chris omg first I have heard of that !!!!!! will turn on news..

• Just had news that he is safe and well thankfully. He did indeed cross the line at the time of the explosions by the sounds of it. But, he has been in touch with his family to say he is ok. Thoughts are with everyone else who may be affected. Its a messed up world. x

• Absolutely awful news from Boston . I see they are now saying that there have been a few fatalities .
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

This truly is a sick world we live in. Thoughts with all caught up in this horror.

• Probably too early to say this, but is anybody else feeling uncomfortable about running on Sunday? I'm already having a moral dilema about it and I don't think we have heard the worst of the news yet. 

• Chris J77 wrote (see)

Probably too early to say this, but is anybody else feeling uncomfortable about running on Sunday? I'm already having a moral dilema about it and I don't think we have heard the worst of the news yet. 

Yes I do feel worried and I think anyone who isnt and says f*ck em is being seriously naive and stupid

• I agree. I've already told my wife not to spectate if I do go ahead and run. Which kind of ruins things for a start. 

I also think I'll feel slightly guilty carrying on as normal and running after what has happened. Hmmm, Lets sleep on it. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I don't think I will feel guilty but I will feel concerned and paranoid. God, what awful news.

• business as usual as they say. Its not suprising given everything invested in it (both time and money).

It just seems like Sunday now goes from being a fun day out with loved ones to a bit of a hollow procession. All because of one act of evil. So sad all around.

• Guys - I was in Boston and finished about 40 mins before the bombs went off.

We were away from the area when the incidents occurred.

Three people have died and over 100 injured.....shocking of course and truly tragic for the victims and their families.

Are we going to allow these idiots to rule our lives? I for one am not, and as I type this I have a wife beside me who was brought up in Belfast through the worst of the Troubles largely funded I might add by misguided Americans.

I will run "Big City marathons" again, and I suspect I will not be alone.....we cannot let this undermine everything that is good about what we do and what we become in the process.  

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

+1 for MS - If you took all possible steps to protect yourself and loved ones from harm or interference from sickos you would have to live a very insular and frankly paranoid life. We wouldnt run marathons due to risks to health. You wouldnt visit metrepoles given 9/11 and 7/7, no one would fly etc etc, however there is a risk to be weighed up and balanced by us all. Chris, you are right re Sunday being run under a cloud.

Edit: Pleased to hear you are safe and well Mike.

• Yeah, definately a feeling of running under a cloud. The excitement and anticipation has naturally disappeared for me. I guess that's only natural when you realise how much other innocent people are suffering. I think I'll probably still do it on Sunday if it goes ahead but I'll meet my wife and friends away from the finish. It's one thing if something happens to me through my choice of being there, but not anyone else. That's the even more sickening thing about yesterday. Most of those caught up in the blasts will have been spectators waiting (including children no doubt). Stay safe everyone.
  • +2 with MS.  Of course you need to be wary but if you give in to this then you might as well lock yourself away and never go out to any event again. 

Treadmill in the garage for the rest of your life, don't think so. 

All sporting events and actually all major events where you have gatherings of people are at risk, they all work with the police on trying to ensure they are not a target.  And of course although the natural instinct is that this is the work of middle eastern fanatics, it could easily be a right wing US group, or even an individual like Breivik in Norway

RIP those who died and say a prayer for their families and all the injured.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I think we will all feel understandably nervous on sunday, so will all the spectators! Let's just see who is responsible, it could well be domestic.

• Thoughts are with everyone in Boston. Truely terrible news.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    My thoughts are will the family's and friends.

It made me think back to the Lisburn half marathon in 1988, I will still be running on Sunday and as a remark if respect I will wear a black ribbon on my vest.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

I like the idea of a black ribbon, NP.

shocked and numb like everyone else - what kind of a sick mind would even contemplate such an atrocity and why?????????

• I am sure this is just an attack by some lunatic Americans and not something that would affect VLM.  If it was an Al Queda style attack, there would have been a hell of a lot more destruction surely?  Chris, your wife would be fine, don't let it ruin your special day.  

Mike - glad you are safe.  Boston was a marathon I was really hoping to get to do one day.

• Nice idea NP a black ribbon, just heard one of the dead is an 8 year old boy..image, feeling quite choked up now.

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

My suspicions are the same as HeOw's about the culprits, but we'll have to wait and see if this is true.  This is mainly due to no news of any organisation claiming the credit yet.

I think the best thing to do at the moment is to keep calm and continue with your existing plans, and then hopefully there will be more information by Thurs/Fri that will help people make more informed decisions.  

+1 for NPs black armband idea

• Yeah. On reflection I think it may well be more a domestic matter than international. I guess we won't know for sure until the facts come out, but like HeOw, I fear this would have been much much worse had it been a global terrorist organisation. Not that it isn't bad as it is.

Think everyone running will be wearing black come Sunday. Let's just hope we get some facts emerging before Sunday so that we can make an informed decision on what to do. Like you say Stu I think we have to carry on with plans as they are and see what comes out.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

jeez man - whoever did it is sick in the head. Timed to go off for around 4 hours when most of runners will be coming through - and a majority of these would have been running for a charity.

• And to go off in the spectator area. That's the bit that gets me. Because the likelihood is that children will be spectating. As has so sadly been proven. Truly sick.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

NP - just looked up the Lisburn half 1988 you mentioned...you weren't there were you?

• Just looking at results of the Boston marathon to check up on a friend running, he ran 3.40 so had finished before the explosions, and looked at winning times.  Ethiopian runner Desisa won in 2.10.22.  Top 80+ male runner ducked under 4 hours at 3.53.54!

No ladies above the 70-74 bracket finished but the top time at that age was 3.48.57

Some targets there for all of us in a few years time

• Go CazGo Caz ✭✭✭
    I agree totally, MS. Such a dreadful and senseless act but, if anything, it makes me more determined to run on Sunday.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all...just been out for a 7 mile run. Hope it's not as windy on sunday as it is up here today.

I wonder what extra security measures there will be on sunday now....?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I am thinking it might be best to allow a bit more time to get to the start in case of more security checks etc.

I only went for a 4 mile run and also hope it isn't too windy, or my new shorts will be even more indecent than they already are.

• I decided that it wasn't worth the effort to run outside in the gale that was blowing so went on the treadmill instead.  Was a bit over dressed for indoors but never mine.  4 miles with 2 at marathon pace.  4 miles tomorrow and that's me till Saturday. 

If it's as windy as this on Sunday, I will have too much wind resistance due to loose clothing and may be able to take off. image