P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Thanks NN. Mackerel for breakfast sounds good...love mackerel. Impressed with your outlook on your disrupted training - might need to take a leaf out of your book. It all felt a bit silly getting upset about these trivial things after Monday's events anyway.

• AR hope you get over it,  perhaps a couple more days of lower mileage will get you back to normal.

15W have you broken cover!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Yes, I am out.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    JF50 wrote (see)

15W have you broken cover!

It's no fun though, as I can't find him to stalk on power of 10.

Al, hope you're feeling better in a few days; chances are you'll be completely over it by then.

• Good grief what's happened on here today?

I'm going to start carb loading tomorrow as otherwise I'd be like the back end of a bus.  I'll mostly replace protein with carbs to up the ratio so baked beans on spud for lunch and pasta with tomato sauce for tea. image Friday a little more challenging as travelling but I'll be meeting Lit for cake (if that is still on?) so that's OK

NN - good philosophy I think

Al - hope everything settles down

Ten - if you'd had all those beet shots in addition, you'd never have made it to the start. image

Too lazy to get out of bed for early run so will do 4 easy miles tonight before tea and that's it.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello. Just back from 7mi with 2 at MP. All that's left are a few short easy runs now.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Should I stick to my travelodge in Greenwich/Deptford - or spend a bit more to stay in Premier inn in Docklands (near Excel)? Would mean using DLR in the morning of the race, but a more comfortable stay for precious little 15W.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Can't help you there, I'm afraid, 15W, as I will be staying in my sister's spare room for free. She said, smugly.

Fiona, cake! Yes, of course it's still on. I was thinking I might bring some cake for us, just in case there isn't any at the expo. We don't want to miss out on a carb-loading opportunity, after all. So, who else is at the expo on Friday and wants to meet me and Fiona for coffee and cake? Did we say 4pm at the RW stand?

• literatin wrote (see)

Fiona, cake! Yes, of course it's still on. I was thinking I might bring some cake for us, just in case there isn't any at the expo. We don't want to miss out on a carb-loading opportunity, after all. So, who else is at the expo on Friday and wants to meet me and Fiona for coffee and cake? Did we say 4pm at the RW stand?

Do you reckon DF3 might be there?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well, he's not getting any cake if he is.

• literatin wrote (see)

That's fair, he's not carb loading

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

I am getting to london around 2 and plan to get to the expo on friday so I  might be able to say a quick hello and scoff some of your scran.

Malt loaf and fig cakes/rice cakes all the way then ease off saturday tea as I will be fit to burst. Whats the carb v weight ratio you should work to for loading?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Can you use scran as a verb too? e.g. I'm going to be scranning loads of cake?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Why does everyone know this word and its proper usage except me? Is it because I'm southern and have a posh accent?

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Lit: I don't know the word either. But I'm German and have a crap accent image

• Lit - yes 4pm RW stand. And yes it is clearly your upbringing that means you have missed out on this vocab.image

15W - I don't think that travelodge is that bad. Guess it's whether you want the hassle in the morning.  Have you tried Premier inn Greenwich?  I managed to get my mum a room there just a couple of weeks ago, but it wasn't that cheap, but then it is London.

Chick - you may have a crap accent but fantastic english.

• literatin wrote (see)

Gazza81 wrote (see)

London GFA times are outrageous. If I was a woman, Id be comfortably inside what I need right now, but cos Im a bloke, it's only good enough for a 65 year old! When Im 65, I wont be able to control my bowels nevermind my marathon time! image

literatin wrote (see)

Why does everyone know this word and its proper usage except me? Is it because I'm southern and have a posh accent?

I'm a southerner as well but know the word, I think mainly because I was in the Forces and it was used a lot there.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

You do have fantastic English Chick, I'd been assuming you were an expat Brit.

Would like to add that I'm not posh, I just sound it! But half Chinese so might have missed out on any British slang my mum didn't know when growing up.

• Just back from the expo. Plenty of scran on offer there. Gorged myself on free samples of Clif Bar, chia seeds, cherry juice and....free beer. Don't worry, not enough to do any damage, just a shot of London Pride.

Loads of tempting kit on sale but managed to hold back from buying anything

Nice and empty there today, no queues to speak of. Picked up some pace bands from the Xempo stand, checked in on the RW pacemakers stand, who assure me there will be a sub3 pacer on the FGFA start, as well as all other starts. Goody bag contains (spoiler alert) wholegrain basmati rice, chia seeds, peanuts, cereal bar, gluco-tabs and toothpaste. 

The black ribbon for Boston is included in the envelope with your number.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Lit - Scoffing is the verb you are looking for or you might try snaffled in the 'I snaffled loads of cake' sense . Anybody use  perished when meaning hungry?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Thanks for info Al Runs - expect the place will be rammed when I turn up early sat afternoon, so I probably will just want to get out of there and err....go sit in my traveldoge room.

• The goody bags will probably be down to just basmati rice by then 15w, better take a portable cooker with you to the Travelodge to cook it!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

All you obsessives need to check out the my fitness pal app for your smart phones. DOes an easy calc of you calories/fat and CARB intakes for the day through picking from a list or scanning the labels in. No excuse for getting it wrong now!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

You're probably right about the beetroot Fiona! image  

Looking forward to see who's still keen on carb loading on Saturday image  I've actually gone off malt loaf, when prior to last week I had no trouble eating an entire loaf.

I've now officially started the P&D fifth mesocycle! Four miles recovery today, keeping below my new conservative recovery heart rate.  Feeling pretty good.  This is by far the best recovery I've had from any of my three marathons (Don't say that's because I didn't race hard enough! image).

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Men, I don't have a smartphone, I have the cheapest nokia brick you can get that still works. So there.

• Nobody has mentioned the weather for at least a few pages. So I'll ruin it by saying that the weather forecast is pretty much perfect for Sunday at london. Low temperatures. Sunny and low winds, with no rain!

That's it, I've ruined it. Its bound to blow a gail, chuck it down and/or be boiling now. Sorry everyone. As you were.

P.s currently moving on to my afternoon snack of a sasauge sandwich. I love food. Not going to be loving my 7 miles tonight though.  

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell I hope you lot don't set off at the pace your posting in hereimage lots of reading back. 4 miles with 5 sets of strides done, still at work till about 9:30 then on leave image

No carbs again today will start taking carbs tomorrow night image

Nice running and all banked and waiting to withdraw on Sunday.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Not posted in here for a good while but I just wanted to wish all you VLMers the very best of luck.

P&D bagged me a 44 minute PB in Paris on 7th, I hope you all achieve what you've worked so hard for, whatever that may be.

I'll be there on Sunday to cheer you all on at the 11 mile mark - look for a Wales flag on a long pole and about 5 women in green Paris Finisher T Shirts yelling our heads off for you all.

Enjoy image

• Ill look out for the fellow welshies! Where in Wales are you lot from?