Options

P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Great race reports peeps and some fantastic PB's a great day for running and the worlds best marathon image

Lit just seen the photo I ran behind you for a mile or so before stopping to walk I remember the pony tail and top.

NN it was great to meet up with you and thanks for the shout at mile 13, looking forward to my holiday now and a few runs along seven mile beach image

The Marathon thread has been going for around five or six years and is renewed every year you should all pop over and say hi, there are lots of regulars who run 2 or 3 marathons a year and there are times from 2:50 up to 5:00 so it's open for everyone.
  • Options

Hi, I am back !

I haven't had much time to read back but the little bits I have seen look good, NP sorry it didn't go so well.

Unfortunately I ate a bit too close to the start and actually got stitch as I crossed the start line, this continued for the first 12 miles. Lesson learned! I took a 2 minute toilet break at mile 8. I didn't have a bad race but didn't really feel 'comfortable' at any stage until 18 miles, then I got my head right and was counting down the miles but my legs still wouldn't go any faster!

Anyway finished in 4.24 which is a 5.5 minute pb, and my best moment was stopping to give my Dad a big hug and kiss at mile 23 image.  just as I crossed the finish line they said over the loud speaker that they were just expecting Ewan Thomas any minute so pleased to come in before him.

I will have a proper read back now..

• Options

Well run Pottermiss, PB is great if you had problems for so much of the race.  Think that means that all of us beat Iwan Thomas on this thread.

• Options

I'll be sticking around too, keen to see how the Manchester crowd fare.

OK, my race report for those who'd like to read it...

FGFA start experience was extremely pleasant. Arrived in good time and laid on the grass. Plenty of toilets and free lucozade, water, tea and coffee.

My plan before the race was to go out at 2.59 pace and see if I could hold on. This being a bold and possibly foolish plan, I'd already made peace with the fact that a likely outcome would be that I'd blow up at some point. But I wanted to make this my first sub 3 attempt, and sacrifice a 3.0x PB.

Miles 1 to 6 were ticked off fairly comfortably except my heart rate was reading 5% higher than I'd managed in training MP runs. I'd seen this all week after getting a fever last Sunday but hoped it would calm down by race day. Wasn't to be.

Anyway, continued on, getting tougher around the half marathon point until eventually heart rate was 95% at mile 19 and I just couldn't keep up the 6.48 pace. A wave of exhaustion came over me and I just had to stop. I tried the next mile at 8.30 hoping I'd feel better after that but it only got worse. By the end the best I could manage was 9.30 with heart rate way up in the 80s, and random cramping appearing in different places.

The crowd support was phenomenal in the last few miles and any disappointment I could have felt from blowing up was quickly replaced with excitement, pride and gratitude. Came home in 3.15. 6 mins slower than my PB but felt proud of myself for pushing it as far as I could.

Overall I've learnt a good deal about my body and the marathon. All the maxims held true: 'the marathon will find you out', 'you can't cheat the marathon', 'there are no shortcuts in the marathon'. 

Had a great day and enjoyed it all (except for minor heartbreak when I saw a official clock tick past 3 hours). No disappointment whatsoever, it just wasn't the day for my sub3 marathon.

This was my third marathon and the course actually felt like the toughest of the lot. I started with super-flat Berlin and Barcelona was had some undulations but felt London was a bit more challenging. Massive respect for all of you achieving your PBs out there.

Rough plan for the future will be to bag another GFA at an overseas marathon (sticking to a PB race plan) then settle the score in London.

Anyway, I got myself a shiny new 30k PB...and some intense DOMS!

• Options

Nice PB Pottermiss..I would be over the moon to knock 5 mins off..

AL great race report, truthful and honest and showing just how tough it can be out there, to be honest though it looks as if you werent fully recovered from that fever last weekend..if the HR is anything to go by

NP I shall be posting on the marathon thread this one may go a little quiet after Manchester, I love the marathon thread anyway and it was great to meet you Jason and Fiona

Lit yes I do want to do it ... just very apprehensive after the last few months what if its a hot summer ?, what if I get injured again ?...what if I have a shit race on the day ?which if can happen to the best of us could happen to me and it did 2 years ago..image.. but I guess that's the name of the marathon game !!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Okay, finally got round to writing up my race report for my first marathon while sipping a gin and tonic...

I’d been quite nervous after going to the expo on Friday, when it just felt really implausible that I could do my planned marathon pace for 26.2 miles, but I woke up feeling reasonably calm on Sunday and ready to have a good day. A sort of fatalistic optimism, I think: knowing that I couldn’t do much to change the outcome but ready to rely on my preparation. I had my breakfast at 7am (and only one poo, Ten image) and got the tube and then the train to Blackheath, surrounded by other runners.

The championship area was excellent, and I didn’t even have to queue to have a wee. I also got to have a little jog up and down the road next to the assembly area to warm up so I could stretch properly beforehand, which was perfect. I also met a friend there (we hadn’t pre-arranged it, but I knew she was running from the champs start). She’d done 3:08 at Chester last year and also 1:26 in a half, but said she wasn’t really on form this year and was hoping but not expecting to beat her PB. We were both planning more or less to go for 3:10 and make adjustments as needed, so decided to run together until one of us decided to go ahead or drop back. We agreed not to worry too much if we got swept up a bit at the start as we could take a mile or so to settle into a comfortable pace.

When it was time to line up at the start, I couldn’t believe just how close to the proper start line we were. Odd to think of the elite men just a few metres ahead, though obviously I couldn’t see any of them because I am short. The 30 seconds silence for Boston was dignified and moving, even though normally I don’t like compulsory group displays of grief; this didn’t feel forced.

Once we got moving the pace was actually okay, as in, not ridiculous despite being slightly faster than my 7:15 m/m plan. I enjoyed the marshals whose job it was to stand next to the road humps and yell ‘HUMP’. image I ran with my friend for the first 7 miles or so but left her behind somewhere after the Cutty Sark when she needed the loo (she finished in 3:11 in the end, which she was happy enough with, and decided to just enjoy it at the point where she realised she wouldn’t get a PB). The first 8 or 9 miles felt almost effortless and I was really enjoying just bouncing along in the sunshine. I had put my name on my vest and spectators were cheering me on the whole time, which may or may not have been a bit irritating for runners who were alongside me for a long time and whose name wasn’t Katie.

I hadn’t worried too much about the slightly fast pace at the start because it was a bit downhill, but I was hovering either side of 7 minute miles for ages and ended up spending about 17 or 18 miles trying and failing to rein myself in a bit, after which I decided it probably didn’t matter and just kept going. And although I had a slight positive split, it wasn’t disastrous; I did the first half in 1:32:30 and the second half in 1:33:46, finishing in 3:06:16.

I do think P&D worked for me. At 11 miles I remember being grateful that I’d done so many 15-milers on Wednesday nights, because I can imagine 11 miles being a bit demoralising (you’ve run quite far but there’s still loads left), but it was only a mid-week MLR’s worth of running left. Also I think all the long runs and the progressive pacing with a couple of miles of MP thrown in at the end really prepared me for the last few miles. Some friends saw me at miles 13 and 22 and said I looked stronger and less tired the second time. My sister, brother and parent

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Oh shit, sorry, that was really long.

Also, NN, I remember you saying during the winter that you'd rather be training for an autumn marathon... I totally get all your doubts but I think they're all things that could apply just as much next spring. I'd take advantage of all the work you've already done and the base you've built up.

• Options

Right so here is my attempt at a race report. It’s strange that the day will be forever etched on my psyche as one of my most memorable (and enjoyable) days, but there is not a huge amount of detail that I can remember about the actual race. But here goes anyway.

I got to Greenwich bright and early and headed into Pen 1 of the blue start. I couldn’t believe how quiet the Pen was. There was loads of room to move around and warm up and I even managed to get right to the front of the pen without any bother. We were then walked up to the start and were practically touching the back of the elite field. So all the people who had told me blue was a bad start are off their heads. We were over the start line in 15 seconds and in full stride straight away (after avoiding the strategically placed traffic island in the middle of the road).

The first few miles were mainly a case of running a little too fast and surging in places to get a decent position. I think I ran sub 6.30 pace for the first few miles, but I was still feeling strong so wasn’t too worried. No need to panic yet. The thing that hit me immediately from the off though, was the noise of the support. It was surreal, overwhelming and exhilarating in equal measure. Nothing could prepare me for thousands of total strangers shouting your name and encouraging you. I’m normally fairly shy in real life, but I thought, what the f**k, lets make the most of this. I was ‘high fiving’ small children, elderly rasta ladies and even a nun at one point. This carried on for the next few miles up until mile 6, when I thought I’d better check my pace a bit and not get too carried away. Luckily for me I got chatting to a lady from Scotland who seemed to be running a metronomic 6.40 pace by that stage and was amazing to hold pace with. She also had a really nice bum which made following her all the more enjoyable (I did tell her I wasn’t stalking her and that I was more interested in her pacing than her bum so hopefully she didn’t mind!).

I held this solid 6.40 pace up until around mile 11 from memory when I remember seeing No Pain in the distance. I’d never met him before but recognised the Fetch vest and shaven legs up ahead. I gave a little surge to catch him up and we had a little chat and even a hand shake while running (the things you do!). I wanted to fall back in behind NP at this point, but the surge gave me a bit more strength and before I knew it we were heading over Tower Bridge. Now this to me is a moment that will be etched on my memory forever (or until I get old and suffer from Alzheimer’s anyway). The view of the bridge, the noise of the crowd and the knowledge that you are half way all combine to make this one of those ‘wow’ moments. I made sure I took a mental picture of the scene to enjoy in the future and cracked on over the bridge. The thought of doing that again will get me through some future dark times I have no doubt.

The next few miles to mile 15 were even noisier and I saw my wife at mile 14 which gave me a nice little boost (and was responsible for a sub 6.30 mile). I was still feeling great at this point and had time to do some showboating to my wife (again pretty out of character). She confessed after that she thought I had lost my marbles and was sure to crash and burn as I must have been using too much energy showing off. After seeing my wife the miles ticked over fairly blandly for a while. Heading into Canary Wharf was fairly unremarkable, although the crowds were again amazing. The Garmin started going haywire at this point (as predicted) so it was hard to know what pace I was holding. I just tried to keep passing people without surging and ignored the watch until coming out at Blackwall at mile 20. It was at this point that I had to get my game face on an

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

I enjoyed the marshals whose job it was to stand next to the road humps and yell ‘HUMP’.

I don't think you were supposed to reply "yes please!" every time, though image  Or maybe they had heard about your promise to all the runners who finished ahead of you and were reminding everyone?

I think splits that are that close together are brilliant, regardless of whether they happen to be positive or negative. Inspiring stuff!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ooh, cliffhanger, Chris!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ten, I didn't promise, I just ruled out all the slower people. image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ah, I see that the end of my report also got cut off. That'll teach me to go on and on and on. Here is the rest:

My sister, brother and parents were just after the underpass at mile 24 to cheer me on too.

The last 800m felt unnecessarily long, but then it was over, so that was okay. Then I got changed, had a stretch, and went back to my sister’s for a cold bath (NP’s influence) followed by a warm shower, then several glasses of prosecco and wine and a bit Sunday roast with my support team. Then I lay on the sofa and watched two episodes of masterchef. A good day.

• Options

I feel quite emotional reading all your posts and race reports and coming from a hard bastard scouser like me, that says a lot for how we have all had a cracking thread going here and to see you all do so well (even the ones who had bad races or didn't get their Goal A time still carried on) is amazing.  I seriously will be channeling a shit load of all your guts, grit and determination on Sunday.  image  I am proud to have shared cyber space with you all... image

• Options

It was at this point that I had to get my game face on and stop the antics. I was very aware that people were pulling up left right and centre at this point (with very little warning) which served a very cautionary note. So it was head down and ‘do your job’ territory from here on in. Steady 6.40’s again up to mile 23. Apparantly I ran straight past my wife and friends who were screaming at me at this point but I totally blanked them. I was definitely zoned out at this stage and not engaging anymore.

Emerging out of Blackfriars all of the iconic London sights came into view and this gave me a massive adrenalin rush. This caused me to race to nearer 6 minute pace along Embankment dizzy on the rush of running in sight of Waterloo Bridge, The London Eye and Big Ben (we ran past Big Ben on a closed road FFS – how cool is that?!). I was aware now that the legs were feeling a little heavy now and so I aired on the side of caution and downed my emergency last 2 energy gels ready for the final kick. I had already taken a gel every 4 miles, but now was the time to get anything in for the last push. So  8 down in total (a new record for me). The last mile to Birdcage Walk seemed to go on forever but the corner was in sight and the 800m to go sign was there and it was downhill thank god. I had a final kick and sprinted the finish (something I desperately wanted to be able to do to show that the training had worked). A fist pump on the line, followed by a few tears for my dad (who I would happily have take a 6 hour finish time to have been able to share the moment with him) and it was time for the photos and the celebrations.

I was very aware over the last few miles that I was passing people and feeling stronger and stronger. Having checked the stats it shows that over the last 7k I managed to pass 205 runners and only got passed by 2 runners. Nothing will beat that feeling and I owe it all to Pfitz! I’m already planning my next attempt for next year. I definitely have the marathon drug and need my next fix. My GFA application will be going in as soon as possible and I’ll be back to have a crack at sub 2.50 next year (all things being well). Well as soon as I can get down the stairs anyway!

Well done everyone. You are all awesome! As awesome as London! 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

NN - in a way training for an autumn marathon is better as there is more day light which means have more options for running. Last summer I followed the same P&D plan for an autumn marathon and did most of my runs in the morning before work and it worked out well.

Not sure where you are but Chester is a nice marathon, got great reviews on here last year, helped by very nice weather. It's a well organised event, a lot of the route is through pretty countryside.

• Options

sorry for the massive post. But really enjoyed reading everyones reports so thought I'd chuck one up. 

Lit - your race and day sounds very similar to mine. Glad it went so well. I definately think the Mid week long runs were a key to feeling strong. They just give you that mental toughness I think to get through it. 

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Chris, I did think of you at the start because I was towards the back of the championship runners and your pen was being held back just behind us. I couldn't remember your number to look out for you though. You must have zoomed past me immediately.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Pottermiss, Alruns, Lit and Chris they are great race reports you all ran your hearts out and it's great to see you all archiving your goals well done again.

Chris I LOL when you said to me on the run that you knew it was me by my legs lol

It was a pleasure taking with you and I will be backimage
  • Options

Some fantastic stories there from a lot of talented runners; many were fast and some had "mares" but the energy and commitment shines through them all.

I have 3 P&D maras under my belt in 2012/13 and each one faster than the last culminating in 3:21:09 in Boston last week.

IMHO as well as the midweek long runs some of you have mentionned, in my case, I believe the 6 XC races I did during the winter were a major factor. I also ran 4 hard road races prior to tapering which is rather more than P&D recommend.

For me - time to regroup, maybe some speedy, short stuff during the summer and a HM in September. Then spring 2014, I'll go for London (GFA) or Boston again (unfinished business - I'm sure you heard)!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Great reports everyone.

Chris, bet you're regretting shaking NP's hand now?!

So, who's been for their first post marathon yet?
  • Options
    15W - Ha. I had alcohol gel on everything last week I think I was safe! It was a very surreal moment introducing ourselves while running 6.40 pace through London and discussing how I recognised your shaved legs NP. Talk about a small world.  No running for a few more days at least for me 15W. I dont feel terrible by my thighs have quite sever DOMS. Which is odd as my calves gave the most cause for concern pre marathon - but they are perfect. Up and down stairs is proving a nightmare on the thighs though.

NP - enjoy the break and come back stronger. The way you were running before your 'issues' you could easily go sub 2.50.

And lit - you are not Scottish are you? Maybe it was your bum I followed all those miles!
  • Options
    Don't know what has happened to this site but I've been unable to open it since Sunday, just been reading some great reports and times.

NP, sorry to hear about your race, just sounds like an off day, I'm sure you'd have been looking at a pb on another day.

Chris and Lit awesome times for a first marathon, I wonder how fast both of you can go with a few more years training.

Great PBS for 15w, Fiona and chick. Well done the others that finally broke the elusive 3 hrs and sorry to those that just missed out.

JF50 sounds like you put a good race together, sorry if I've missed anyone, ill have another read back later.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Blimey, DOMS even worse this morning. Legs were so stiff when I first got up, feeling a bit more alive now. Took puppy for walk and we usually have a bit of a run around but there was no way I was up for any of that this morning.

So, Manchester people - how is your last week taper going? Still sticking to the schedule? Forecast at moment not looking too bad, could be some showers, but too far out for any certainty.

• Options
    15W - my legs are worse this morning too.

Chris - Lit isn't a scot that's me and you definitely weren't following me!
  • Options

Just a random thought...will my sub 3:10 from Barcelona (March 2012) qualify me for a GFA at VLM 2014. Anyone know? The wording on the old VLM 2013 website seems to imply it would - "The results will need to be from a marathon completed in 2011 or 2012". It would be over 2 years old by race day. And does it matter that I've already 'used' it for this year's GFA entry?

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Pottermiss - you had time for cuddles and still got a PB! You also beat Kelly Sotherton, so well done for taking down two Olympians!

Al - brave running!  As they say "if you don't try you don't get", so it has to be worth laying it on the line once in a while and there's nothing wrong with deliberately going out hard to attempt the dream.  I doubt I would finish if I pushed my heart rate up like you did, so respect to you sir!!!

Chris J77 wrote (see)

...I did tell her I wasn’t stalking her and that I was more interested in her pacing than her bum so hopefully she didn’t mind!

Chris - I bet that really put her mind at rest. image  Loved the dramatic pause in the report for an intermission.  Great stuff and well done!  Which gels were you using?  were they all the same, or a mixture?  I just couldn't face my last gel, and on reflection I really should have taken it!!!

I think it's all just about wrapped up now.  Time to close this thread.  Oh wait....

C'mon the Manchester peeps - how are you feeling?  You must be getting goosebumps! 

..... I really must get more work done today image

• Options
    Here's my report,

As most of you know it's been a tough few weeks, but when I arrived at London on Saturday I felt ready to go. Arriving at Greenwich the weather felt perfect, it was just a lovely morning to run.

I was in the blue start, pen 2 and was over the line in about 10 seconds then into a full running stride immediately. It's funny in a marathon that it just feels effortless at the start with all the adrenaline pumping! The crowds were incredible right from the start and I was just loving the experience.

I went through 5k in 20.50 and that was trying to hold my pace back because the course felt like I was constantly down hill, I started to find a bit of space now and tried to settle into 6.50 pace.

I remember early in the race feeling like the gel I had at the start repeating on me a bit, but I tried to sip water and the feeling went, then at about 5 miles I started getting a stitch which was really annoying because I couldn't get rid of it, it was probably about mile 9 when it finally went.

These early miles were mentally tough because although I felt ok physically I didn't feel anywhere near as good as I did in my training runs so I was starting to feel a bit negative. I just kept telling myself to trust the training, trust the plan and it would be ok.

As we were getting towards half way the crowds just got bigger and bigger and the approach to the tower was unbelievable then crossing it was just awesome, I felt like a professional athlete being cheered at the front of the race! On the back of my vest I had " in memory of Paul" for my father in law and I felt a bit emotional when I heard a few shouts of support.

The next few miles I started to feel quite good again which was due to the boost I got from the amazing crowds. I went through half way in almost bang on 1.29 so I'd paced it near on perfect. As the miles went on I was starting to do some quick maths and I knew I was on for 2.58 if I kept the pace up.

Around Canary warf my gps signal was all over the place so I didn't really know how fast I was going which threw me a bit, I also started to get little twinges of cramp in my hamstring but nothing major to really slow me down too much, although I knew at about the18 mile point it was gonna be a tough last hour.

I got to 20 miles and the cramp twinges were getting a bit sharper, I started running quite flat footed which I do a bit in triathlons when I get cramp and it usually seems to help, I worked out here that 7 min pace would still get me a 2.59 so I was still confident.

I tried to take things a mile at a time now and by 22 miles the 2.59 was still in sight but the cramp came back and this time it stopped me dead in my tracks, I massaged my legs for about 30 seconds then started to walk then jog and then I was back running but every time I tried to speed up the cramp came back.

This carried on for the last 4 miles, each time I tried to gradually speed up my legs wouldn't have it and eventually I was cramping everywhere!

The last few miles at London are incredible, so scenic with the river, the landmarks and the crowds.

I knew with a few miles to go that sub 3 was now impossible and I felt really dissapointed at the end, everyone has said that a 12 minute pb is great and it's right but I feel like I had the form in training to do it.

Looking back I haven't had a good nights sleep for weeks so although I reduced my mileage I wasn't recovered properly on race day. I was almost running un tapered.

Now it's a few days later I can say I really enjoyed London and I think the p&d plan definitely works. I can't be too dissapointed with how I did because I gave it my best shot. The plan was to run sub 3 and then go back to triathlons and ironman racing over the next few years but I thi
  • Options
    Cont.....

The plan was to run sub 3 and then go back to triathlons and ironman racing over the next few years but I think it's all going on the back burner until I can conquer the marathon!

Edit- don't think I mentioned my finish time. It was 3.04! image
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Great reports, Mark & Chris.

Mark, I think the heat probably got a few of us in different ways and cramp was one of them. I think you'll get sub 3 in your next marathon for sure... which will be when? You will have overtaken me in the first two minutes just after Chris, I think.

Chris, I'm not Scottish and I think you were going a bit faster than me! But I do have quite a nice bum. image

Al, I think it does still count (as long as the criteria stay the same) and as far as I know they just check the time when you apply, not whether you have used it before.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Mark - sounds like a tough one! Very well done getting such a stonking time.  Interesting to note about GPS signals around Canary Wharf.

Lit - you must work in the insurance industry.  The way you find loopholes to avoid "paying out" on promises. Shame though - it would have made for interesting finish line viewing on the red button. image